BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Upcoming new release?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:18 pm 

Hi there everybody

I've been using Blag for some time and I really like it. Everything just works :D . I still use the version based on RH9, since with the Blag 10000 I had truble connecting with DSL. All is quite old in that version and I was just wondering if a new version of BLAG will be out soon.

Thanks
Metod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

There may be a 10001 soon, although the possibility of a 20000 or 30000 release in the near future looks grim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:10 pm 

actually, even though 10001 may be a longshot release, I do know for a fact that 30k will be out soon. If jebba feels that everything it alright and it appears stable enough,we will release it. Only time will tell now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Oh ok, from what I was getting, both 20000 and 30000 seemed to be far off in the distance and jebba was planning to release 10001 sometime in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:57 am 
Site Admin

The current BLAG development server was taken over by indymedia, again. ;) It's currently hosting http://italy.indymedia.org and will likely be hosting a lot more of them soonish.

But I have a new one coming in from Penguin Computing this week. It rocks. http://www.penguincomputing.com/product ... on1100.php When that's up, I'll be able to crank out releases much more easily... It's a very fast box, so I'll be able to compile, roll .isos, etc. pretty fast. Plus it will be at the same co-location facility as the blag ftp/webserver, so the second an ISO is done, I can pop it online (e.g. I don't have to wait hours/days to upload a 4.7 gig DVD image...).

The development box will have 9k, 10k, 20k, & 30k installed on it. Plus it will have space for future releases. IIRC FC4 is scheduled for May or thereabouts.

My first goal is to get a more blagified 30k alpha out there. I'm running the current 30k alpha and like it very much. Out-of-the-box FC3 is much better off than FC2 was. Once I get a better 30k out there, I'll go back and do an update to 10k. This is just rolling in the errata and grabbing new packages. I will most likely not include lots of custom kernel-modules though. I don't plan on doing another 20k alpha, as I don't see much of a point to it. I think it would be good to have another 10k since it is the last release based on the 2.4 kernel.

I may even do a 64-bit version, but you didn't hear that from me.

I also have a lot more free time to work on blag now. This fall/winter I spent waaay to much time dealing with getting indymedia stuff going again after the FBI stole the servers. It was quite an unstable mess for awhile, but it's running much more smoothly now. I was also gone for the last month on the road, so I didn't do any development ('cept in my head).

One of the things that takes the most amount of time is testing. For example, if I roll a 10001, the following needs to be tested, at least:
- Update from 9000, 9001, 9002 + repo updates
- Update from 10000
- Manual install
- All the automajick installs
- Net install
- etc...

This takes a long time. After each one I have to make sure that no RPMs are borked, apt-get will run OK, etc. I will write-up a little procedure for doing this so ya'll can help with the testing (e.g. "I tested 9001 update to 10001, all OK" etc.).

Have fun,

-Jeff

P.S. I'll update the Roadmap sometime too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I think we are getting to a stage now where the regulars here have been using Linux and more specifically BLAG for over a year. So I am sure we can all help out at some point with some of the development side.

I guess it is a kind of double edged sword in the sense BLAG is so good it doesn't require the user to know a thing about Linux. This works against itself when the need for nee developers comes up. I think though if we have just 4/5 people developing it will be quite cool. I am learning so much right now from Linux from Scratch and would recommnd it to anyone. Also the Wiki docs about building your own distro are pretty sweet too. Once that is learnt, it can be applied to BLAG.

Even if we get to the stage where Jeff concentrates on the core, someone writes docs for the wiki, someone focuses on applications, etc.

I personally think the hardest thing to learn in BLAG is not the OS itself but actually Blender3d. What can I say besides wow. It's godly when you make it work but damn making it work is worth a masters degree in its own right. Still I will keep learning as will everone else no doubt and hopefully soon give back something worth giving back to the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Jason wrote:
I personally think the hardest thing to learn in BLAG is not the OS itself but actually Blender3d. What can I say besides wow. It's godly when you make it work but damn making it work is worth a masters degree in its own right. Still I will keep learning as will everone else no doubt and hopefully soon give back something worth giving back to the community.

Heh. Yeah, I was quite thrilled when I was able to make a box, rotate it, and render it. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:25 am 
Site Admin

Heh, with blender, i just stared at the horrible UI (IMO) and then closed it and went to synaptic to uninstall. I'm happy using anim8or through WINE, it has a nice and friendly UI. I'm attempting to learn Blender, although I'm still totally confuzzled for the most part.

And Jason's idea about other people pitching in i think is very good. Just tonight I'm putting the final touches on my heavily tweaked distro. I've made alot of changes to it. And I think quite a few of the people around here, especially people like Jason, demitri, jayeola and several others (maybe me?) are making it to the point where they could help maintain the distro. I'd love to pitch in and help :) . The whole RPM rolling thing currently confuses me, although I install packages from source on a regular basis, and I'd be glad to roll for the repo once I figure out the confusing land of rolling RPM's. (Any good guides on how to do this?)

Plus, I wrote the Ndiswrapper page.

I'm pretty quite a few people are this good with linux now, and maybe, just quite possibly could help out.

Hope you don't mind. :)

Thanks,

stevo32 (Stephen Clement)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:02 pm 

Yea, I feel like I have really become a developer over time (heck,I wrote a whole wiki page on compiling 2.6.10 step by step). As for the rpm rolling,I haven't done much lately since I have been extremely busy,but I do consider myself a spokesperson as well,as I converted about 5-10 people to BLAG,and they also agree that this is a wonderful distro. BLAG 30k is well on its way,even though we might have to leave out flash and w32codec(but its not like you can't get it anyway). I have been using this distro for almost a year,and it has matured to a point that it rivals the major distrobutions. I'm just surprised that more people don't know about this distro,even though Fedora based distros get scrutenized because most of them are lacking,but not BLAG. My final thoughts on this,The low profile of BLAG has its advantages and disadvantages,but if you think about it,thats what this distro is all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

I think a fair few people know about it. Just most of the users are more Linux newbies and thus won't be used to forums and such. All my friends ask me and don't post on the forum despite me telling them too. We can't really gauge how many people use BLAG because it is faultless for the most part. It installs without errors. It is easy to install software. So anyone will get to grips with it without needing to ever post.