FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
How free is BLAG?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blarney
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: How free is BLAG? Reply with quote

I ask because having tried both Gnewsense 2 and BLAG 70000 in the last few days I'm amazed at what runs on BLAG.

On Gnewsense for instance if I try glxgears in a terminal I get errors back. BLAG however works with no problems? I thought there were very few 3D drivers that were free? I'm using an ATI 9000 PRO.So, I downloaded Secondlife and was running around in the virtual world before you could say 'proprietary'.

Is it something I've done? Mine is just a vanilla install with updates. I did apt-get update/apt-get upgrade. Oh I also installed mozilla plugins by mistake as I thought I needed them for Gnash.

By the way Gnash works on Youtube with BLAG! Well done. Couldn't get it to work on Gnewsense.

If this is truly free... I'm stunned...

Cheers,
Blarney

noldrin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't BLAG 70 before linux-libre ?
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 70000 is pre linux-libre kernel.
Blarney
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:

Ah... So what version do I need to run to be truly free? and is it possible to update 70000 to it? I guess that will mean I have no 3D?

Blarney

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarney wrote:
jebba wrote:

Ah... So what version do I need to run to be truly free? and is it possible to update 70000 to it?

The 90000 release (which is in alpha) and BLAGHEAD are on linxu-libre. You can add it to your 70000 install thusly:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install kernel-libre#2.6.23.15-80.fc7

Or `yum install kernel-libre` should do it too.

Blarney wrote:
I guess that will mean I have no 3D?

Unless you have intel video, no 3d.

-Jeff

Blarney
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarney wrote:

Quote:

Ok, I've rebooted using the new kernel and interestingly glxgears still works but MUCH slower... In libre I get 300fps Previously 1600fps. But does that mean that my card has support for 3D?

Cheers,
Blarney

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarney wrote:
Blarney wrote:

Quote:

Ok, I've rebooted using the new kernel and interestingly glxgears still works but MUCH slower... In libre I get 300fps Previously 1600fps. But does that mean that my card has support for 3D?

I should have said *accelerated* 3d, no? :)

Blarney
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Blarney wrote:
Blarney wrote:

Quote:

I should have said *accelerated* 3d, no? :)

I'm soon to be buying a new desktop. If I choose a videocard from http://www.free3d.org/ Will this guarantee reasonable performance in 3D in BLAG? The above site suggests that the ATI Radeon X850 using free software drivers will achieve 6520 fps...

Or is there something else removed in the linux-libre kernel that affects video performance?

Confused?... I am...

Blarney

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarney wrote:
I'm soon to be buying a new desktop. If I choose a videocard from http://www.free3d.org/ Will this guarantee reasonable performance in 3D in BLAG? The above site suggests that the ATI Radeon X850 using free software drivers will achieve 6520 fps...

Or is there something else removed in the linux-libre kernel that affects video performance?

Yes, there are things removed from the linux-libre kernel which could affect that. Your safest bet for free 3D is Intel video--those all all built onto the motherboard though.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP