FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Avahi problem / no GDM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
renilgh
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Avahi problem / no GDM Reply with quote

Ahoy

When I start BLAG Avahi daemon startup fails. When GDM comes up (well, it tries) I just a black screen with loading fedora mouse cursor for a short time, then X goes down and tries to start up up again immediately......

First thing I need to know: How does the init system of BLAG/Fedora work? That is - how can I switch to runlevel 3?
atm it takes me up to 5 switches between the dying Xserver and the tty until I finally managed to login as root (because it automatically switches to GDM). So in order to fix Avahi what I need is a usable access to tty. (:

Thanks in advance,
renilgh

noldrin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can edit run level here:

/etc/inittab

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avahi isn't needed for X. You're running BLAGHEAD though or what?
renilgh
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on 90k.
X is fine as far as I can see. The problem seems to be in GDM. Doesn't gnome need Avahi somehow?
It's just the first thing that made sense to me - Avahi doesn't come up und GDM fails.
But honestly I can't remember having updated Avahi after last successful bootup.

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does `startx` and such work?
renilgh
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Does `startx` and such work?

yup, startx works, no problems. But I found out two other things:
1. Baobab is cool
2. /var/log/messages was 6.7GB big and therefore filled the entire / partition.

There are a whole bunch of GDM debug messages but most of its content is:

Quote:
Jun 9 17:52:38 Igora NetworkManager: nm_supplicant_interface_get_connection_state: assertion `NM_IS_SUPPLICANT_INTERFACE (self)' failed
Jun 9 17:52:38 Igora NetworkManager: nm_supplicant_interface_request_scan: assertion `NM_IS_SUPPLICANT_INTERFACE (self)' failed
Jun 9 17:52:38 Igora NetworkManager: nm_supplicant_interface_get_connection_state: assertion `NM_IS_SUPPLICANT_INTERFACE (self)' failed
Jun 9 17:52:38 Igora NetworkManager: nm_supplicant_interface_request_scan: assertion `NM_IS_SUPPLICANT_INTERFACE (self)' failed

I just wished it wouldn't be about networking stuff again. ):

atm I'm okay so long as I can do my work but of course it would be fine if I could get everything to normal (:
Has anyone an idea which texteditor is able to deal with with a 6.7GB log file? Emacs knows when buffers are exceeded and nano keeps on loading and slowing down the system until it finally figures that it's run out of memory.. - ?
Anyway I hope I will find some time on the weekend to work this out.

Last edited by renilgh on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
renilgh
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried out if reinstalling NetworkManager would do anything good.

Quote:
Reinstallation of NetworkManager is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

Is this intended or did anything go wrong?
Did apt-get update, but still get the same result.

noldrin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using to reinstall? Best bet would be synaptic or apt-get.
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstalling and re-installing applications doesn't really do that much unless you believe that there was disk corruption or something. It's more likely that you uninstalled something needed (?).

You could try running `gdm-safe-restart` and see if you can get more info on it.

I think the gdm and avahi things are two separate issues and are unrelated (though never certain of course...avahi may be taking a larger role in things, but I for one am not running it and gdm works fine).

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP