BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:12 am 

I made it a bit further, but I have two versions of avahi and all my attempts to remove the fc7 (using apt-get, rpm) one result in failure due to:
Code:
%postun(avahi-0.6.17-1.fc7.i386) scriplet failed

I solved that by throwing in a --noscripts

And (consequently?) apt-get dist-upgrade leaves me with:
Code:
The following packages have been kept back
  GConf2 apt autofs bind-libs bind-utils lftp libuser nmap ntp openldap openssh
  openssl pciutils python python-libs sudo wget wpa_supplicant yum
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 19 not upgraded.

UPDATE--
I continued getting packages kept back so I decided to give it another go from scratch and this time ran into a problem with dist-upgrade, with packages being unsigned -- so the GPG check failed. I wonder if my problems are stemming from the fact that I wanted to take out many packages from the base install (like all xorg and gnome stuff) but perhaps took out something necessary??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:53 pm 

a few of the above packages are kept back due to dependencies upon "ca_certificates", which is currently uninstallable due to a file conflict. it should eventually be sorted out in a not-too-distant future update.

To bypass the GPG check during an apt command, uncomment out the following line in /etc/apt/apt.conf:

Code:
GPG-Check "false";

Dabbling in BLAGHEAD is both fun and educational, but not without danger... :^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:14 pm 

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for an update.

For me, educational = very good.

PS. Don't know if it's possible, but can you give a heads up when the required update is ready??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 am 

I had to modify /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default.conf to disable the GPG check since it is set to "true" there.

I'm still unable to dist-upgrade however because of the conflicts between sysklogd and rsyslog. How was this resolved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:41 pm 

brixtoncalling wrote:
I'm still unable to dist-upgrade however because of the conflicts between sysklogd and rsyslog. How was this resolved?

If you do an "apt-get upgrade" instead of "apt-get dist-upgrade" it should ignore the syslog conflict and upgrade the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:10 pm 

Tried upgrading to blaghead from 79k the other day. So far, it seems to give a more stable system than when starting from 70k (the rsyslog/sysklog issue was resolved with fc8). Used a fresh install of the liveBLAG-79999.00101.iso. These are the tweaks and fixes I do with 79k:
- when booting, add "selinux=0" to the grub kernel line, when booted add to /boot/grub/menu.lst
- enable "GPG-Check "false" in /etc/apt/apt.conf
- add/enable ConsoleKit with system-config-services
- 79k misreads the amount of used space. This can be fixed by running check/repair with gparted on 79k from a different partition

From an updated 79k system, I proceeded according to the blaghead wiki. Had to remove lirc during the first dist-upgrade due to a conflict, otherwise everything went smoothly. Blaghead from 70k gave me some issues with user settings (not able to edit/save sessions, etc), this seems to work now. The only thing bugging me is a sound issue. I have disabled pulseaudio (I think), but still sound is rusty when using gnome mplayer/xine/listen. Is not a driver/sound card issue (I use intel0x8), because sound with grip is fine. Also I cant play system sounds (which worked initially). Any ideas?

-robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

Well, pulseaudio is what they want to use for everything now--"all" applications are supposed to run thru it for a consistent desktop or whatever. Lots of time if things sound like crap it's just because PCM is a bit too high and peaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:36 pm 

extraspecialbitter wrote:
brixtoncalling wrote:

If you do an "apt-get upgrade" instead of "apt-get dist-upgrade" it should ignore the syslog conflict and upgrade the rest.

Yeah I did an "apt-get upgrade" and that's fine -- except for the rsyslog stuff. So what's the difference between "upgrade" and "dist-upgrade"??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

brixtoncalling wrote:
So what's the difference between "upgrade" and "dist-upgrade"??

man apt-get wrote:
upgrade
Used to install the newest versions of all packages currently
installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
/etc/apt/sources.list(5). Packages currently installed with new
versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circum-
stances are currently installed packages removed, nor are pack-
ages that are not already installed retrieved and installed.
New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be
upgraded without changing the install status of another package
will be left at their current version. An update must be per-
formed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages
are available.

dist-upgrade
In addition to performing the function of upgrade, this option
also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new ver-
sions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution
system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important pack-
ages at the expense of less important ones, if necessary.

The /etc/apt/sources.list(5) file contains a list of locations
from which to retrieve desired package files. See also
apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for over-riding the general
settings for individual packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:53 am 

hi all,
I decided to try blaghead as a learning experience. i've been using linux for a coupla years and blag for most of that but i think i've learned more over the last week with blaghead!

i followed jebbas wiki to upgrade from 70k, battled with apt, yum and rpm over getting rid of an extra avahi. I had the problem of firefox not starting so i got to grips with elinks! Thanks to some handy hints from this forum i've got a working gnome desktop. :) But there's a couple of things that'd be nice to fix:

Firefox 3 still won't start so i removed it along with xulrunner and installed firefox 2 from the 70k cd. That works fine without xulrunner but ff3 won't install without it, neither will gxine or miro and maybe there'll be other packages i dunno.

I don't care about gxine because i can have vlc. But the picture on vlc doesn't work; it just displays black in the player window. If i move the window the picture appears but it very rarely shows in fullscreen. I don't know if thats just a configuration thing or if it's something to do with wrong dependencies or what. xine works fine so i can use that but i prefer vlc.

the only other problem i've got so far seems to be the thing with rsyslog which i don't understand what it does or anything.

amarok works perfectly and can wake me up to radio 4 every morning :) but i have a stupid(?) question about the amarok-extras-nonfree package: is it not free or what?

so i've just installed the best distro my freecycled box has seen. Thank you BLAG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:38 am 
Site Admin

lemy wrote:
Firefox 3 still won't start so i removed it along with xulrunner and installed firefox 2 from the 70k cd. That works fine without xulrunner but ff3 won't install without it, neither will gxine or miro and maybe there'll be other packages i dunno.

Ya, I've just been using seamonkey. I really just need to do a good recent blag build for it as the fedora ones are crap for me too. Basically I'm in the same boat and when i click on links and get a lousy firefox I think "oh i gotta build that!". ;) The 90k one I just built seems to be working fine. I haven't tested it under blaghead, but it'll probably be better than the 70k one!

lemy wrote:
I don't care about gxine because i can have vlc. But the picture on vlc doesn't work; it just displays black in the player window. If i move the window the picture appears but it very rarely shows in fullscreen. I don't know if thats just a configuration thing or if it's something to do with wrong dependencies or what. xine works fine so i can use that but i prefer vlc.

I haven't seen this problem. I've been using vlc quite a bit on 90k boxes, but not on blaghead yet. It may be a problem related to DRI or Xv or X11 output. Try some of those options (in mplayer it would be ala "mplayer -vo x11" "mplayer -vo xv" etc).

lemy wrote:
the only other problem i've got so far seems to be the thing with rsyslog which i don't understand what it does or anything.

In sum, it writes the crap that appears in /var/log.

lemy wrote:
amarok works perfectly and can wake me up to radio 4 every morning :) but i have a stupid(?) question about the amarok-extras-nonfree package: is it not free or what?

Code:
Name        : amarok-extras-nonfree        Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.4.8                             Vendor: rpm.livna.org
Release     : 1.lvn9                        Build Date: Fri 04 Apr 2008 09:00:36 AM MDT
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: plague-builder.livna.org
Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM: (none)
Size        : 2312                             License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 04 Apr 2008 09:22:00 AM MDT, Key ID 71295441a109b1ec
Packager    : rpm.livna.org <http>
URL         : http://amarok.kde.org/
Summary     : Additional functionality for the amaroK media player
Description :
This package provides additional functionality for the amaroK media
player.

It is GPL. I'll let someone else explain all the other weird subtleties to it if anyone is up for it.

lemy wrote:
so i've just installed the best distro my freecycled box has seen. Thank you BLAG.

BLAGHEAD: Novelty is Oblivion.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 pm 

"BLAGHEAD: Novelty is Oblivion. "

THAT is dark - and probably more right than wrong.

Is it cool now, in RdJ?
b-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

berkbw wrote:
"BLAGHEAD: Novelty is Oblivion. "

THAT is dark - and probably more right than wrong.

Is it cool now, in RdJ?

RdJ? Ah Rio. I'm in Buenos Aires (uh, if that's what you meant). A bit cooler, but not *that* cold. It snowed here last winter for the first time in like 100 years though. ;)

-Jeff

P.S. It appears unrelated, but we don't have any TeX and/or OED junkies watching this thread do we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:31 am 

So sorry

I'll try to remember..

b-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:42 am 
Site Admin

berkbw wrote:
So sorry

I'll try to remember..

Ah, no problem.

We're (me and another blagger--i'm suggesting this without his "permission") are starting a new tradition of reading Jorge Luis Borges _The Aleph_ while installing BLAGHEAD. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next