Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
introducing myself
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarney wrote:
jebba wrote:

I am not left wing though (i've been called far right too, fwiw). I'm an anarchist and there are quite a few others on this board as well. I dont think the political leanings of blag are going to change at all. ;)
-Jeff

Out of interest, what form of Anarchism do you follow? I've always been intrigued by what you do or don't believe in. I currently think that the whole bunch of politicians in Westminster are useless and plan to put 'None of the above' on my next ballot paper. Does that make me an anarchist?

Well, one way to define it, is to simply say "no government". Sounds good to me. :) I'm probably closer to being a libertarian anarchist in the old USA sense of the term, but definitely not what is commonly called libertarian today (e.g. Cato Institute and crap like that).

berkbw
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Ron Paul to me.
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkbw wrote:
Sounds like Ron Paul to me.

Well, to me, he was the least horrible presidential candidate in, say, my life. That said, I don't want a ron paul world either (though it sure would be much much much much friendlier to anarchist/activist "progressives" or whatever than we have now).

berkbw
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did vote for him in the PA [Pennsylvania, USA] primary election.
b-

renilgh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the Fighting For Our Lives zine gives a quite adequate image of anarchist ideals.
I recommend reading some of crimethinc books/other publications. Of course there is lots of propaganda or plain untruth in it but there are also lots of ideas and oractical suggestions which are just worth being thought, pondered about and agreed with or dismissed.

Blarney
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renilgh wrote:
I'd say that the Fighting For Our Lives zine gives a quite adequate image of anarchist ideals.

Thanks for that renilgh. I'll have a look. Based on what little I've learnt googling the subject I find myself in agreement with much of the philosophy. This comes as a surprise to me, especially as I would have called myself a Tory once.

Mind you, I'm still not sure whether I'm getting wiser or more stupid as I get older...

Regards,
Blarney

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nice PDF.

I can't find it at the moment, but there was a nice doctoral dissertation about how much better the people in Somalia are *without government*. Granted, things still suck there, but they are improving faster than other parts of africa that started at the same level. For instance, they have opened more schools and universities under anarchy than they did under government. Telecommunications is like the lowest prices in africa (with guaranteed delivery times and such), etc. Of course, that changes each time a governments' military marches thru killing and bombing in the name of "stabilization".

-Jeff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> open discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP