FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Should I upgrade to FireFox 3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Should I upgrade to FireFox 3? Reply with quote

I see a new version of Firefox is out.

Is it worth while to upgrade? If so, how do I do that?

Mike

berkbw
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, it isn't ready for prime time yet.

b-

noldrin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait for their to at least be rpms available for it.

at worse: all your browsing bookmarks and prefs get hosed

at best: you'll have a slightly better browsing experience.

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that Firefox 3 has some stability issues. It keeps either crashing or hanging for me, even though I've installed only free-software plugins (e.g. gnash, openjdk). Epiphany or seamonkey seem to be better bets.
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox 3 has *major* stability issues in its official release and what the distros are putting out. I would wait. It is nice though, but crashes like mad. I'm just using seamonkey as my daily browser now.

It's related to how they are storing your session history and bookmarks and such. It's now all stored with sqlite which has to do fsyncs all the time and this just locks up the whole browser whenever there is disk activity. Anyway, that's a huge bug they have right now. There's a few attempts at fixes floating around, but that's gotta be solved before it will be solid.

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will wait. I will also give Seamonkey another look. I installed it, but never went anywhere with it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Mike

berkbw
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find [and I think Jeff also does] that SeaMonkey [nee Mozilla Suite] works very well.

b-

noldrin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you add MonkeyMenu to SeaMonkey, it's as good as Galleon used to be, if not better.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/3767

Jason
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox 3 sucks on Linux, Mac and Windows right now. Have used all 3 today and wow that world record they set for downloads will probably leave them with egg on their faces.
Praxis
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly moving to FF-3, kicking and screaming, because it breaks most of my extensions, but other than that I haven't had any major issues. Buntu & opensuse 11 have both adopted it, so I've had to make my peace with it and dig up replacements for my favorite extensions.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP