BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC

How committed are you to free software?
I run all free software, no proprietary software. 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
I run mostly free software, just some proprietary. 48%  48%  [ 12 ]
I'd like to run all free software but I need some proprietary software to make my computer run properly. 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
I don't care about free software. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't think about it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:28 pm 

As soon as gnash runs videos correctly, I'll be there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:20 pm 

I run no proprietary software on my BLAG systems, but I need to run Java and Flash-based applications in order to gain remote access to my workplace. I do so from other Distros (Mint, Fedora, etc.).

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

ewl wrote:
As soon as gnash runs videos correctly, I'll be there...

See how swf-dec is going.

Also, have you seen youtube-dl? It can download videos from youtube and then you just watch them in mplayer, which can handle .flv fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am 

I have no issues with Gnash on Youtube. No more than Flash has. Youtube does a lot to not serve up the video to you. youtube-dl and the many other download scripts also work quite nicely.

Homestarrunner.com, now that throws off Gnash.

My biggest free software limitation is freaking WEP networks. I can actually more easily crack the key to them then I can actually connect to them. In theory I could get my housemate to change to WPA, but that would mean about 20 other people would have to change their laptops on account of me not being able to use WEP.

A lot of people have WEP problems and all my research has shown just random fixes, with no real knowledge of what it should take to connect in order to debug. I'm going to take the time some night to do it all via command line in order to see if I can come up with something.

It would also be nice to be able to print something too. I'm about ready to get a dot matrix printer on that, every since ink jet I find won't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Heh. In blag90k and blaghead it looks like they have done a ton to make it easy to connect to a wide variety of different encrypted wifi networks with a cute little GUI. As for me, I use clear/open wifi with SSID "consume", root password 'consume'. :)

HP inkjets work fine, and they are "everywhere".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:32 pm 

I run BLAG 70000, and add unrar so that i can read some of my .CBR files. Also, I choose to use the Nvidia drivers on my desktop, but my laptop remains free except for the unrar. I have been very pleased with how much functionality I can have with only free software. It's quite a refreshing experience. A pleasant one as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:46 pm 

jebba wrote:
Heh. In blag90k and blaghead it looks like they have done a ton to make it easy to connect to a wide variety of different encrypted wifi networks with a cute little GUI. As for me, I use clear/open wifi with SSID "consume", root password 'consume'. :)

HP inkjets work fine, and they are "everywhere".

I seemed to have the one HP inkjet that wouldn't just work. I'm going to give it another spin with 90K, last i tried was 60K. Recently I've been using WICD to try and connect. Before that I used Network Manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:54 am 

can't live without adobe flash (gnash or whatever it's called stinks) and unrar my self. although i have the flashblock addon installed, it's nice to be able control how much flash you see on a page.

if it wasn't for unrar, linux would mostly be useless to me. can't open squat with just xarchiver when it come to rar files (unless maybe you know how to do things through the command line, which to me, is totally stupid to simply open a file.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:10 am 

Well there is no free os for my ppc computers so I stick to debian main and debian-multimedia repos, clive for you tube so its just binaryblobs. I heard jaromil was going to add ppc support to dyne:bolic That would be cool with all the old imacs about.

debian:/home/ok# vrms
No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian! rms would be proud.
debian:/home/ok#

I find it amazing how well things run, the only thing I miss is the bbc has gone all flash so I cant hardly use it. By the way there is a number to ring and complain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/index.shtml

Vent your spleens about lack of gnash and dirac support, If nothing else it made me feel good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:59 am 

Wrongo - there are linuces for PPCs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:43 am 

Well, I'm officially totally free! I gave up on flash. I'm using ytplay to watch youtube videos. And I've sacrificed 3d acceleration using the free radeon driver rather than fglrx. I'm going to try resist the temptation to backslide. It's like kicking an addiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:11 am 
Site Admin

ewl wrote:
Well, I'm officially totally free! I gave up on flash. I'm using ytplay to watch youtube videos. And I've sacrificed 3d acceleration using the free radeon driver rather than fglrx. I'm going to try resist the temptation to backslide. It's like kicking an addiction.

hahah nice. i hadn't heard of ytplay. URL? There seem to be a few. There's youtube-dl too, btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:38 pm 

http://www.andrew-wigglesworth.co.uk/co ... ytplay.php

You need a few apps to go with it, but they all seem to be in the default blag install. You use it at the command line

Code:
./ytplay http://youtube.video.url

You give up a little immediate gratification because the video doesn't stream. But it works, and it's not that inconvenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:41 pm 

jebba wrote:
ewl wrote:
hahah nice. i hadn't heard of ytplay. URL? There seem to be a few. There's youtube-dl too, btw.

I've been using clive since it does several sites including youtube.

http://home.gna.org/clive/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:43 am 
Site Admin

Proprietary software I use:
Flash - because it's all over the web and many websites are broken without it
Nvidia drivers - because I care about 3D performance. The nouveau drivers are coming along quite well though!
rar/unrar - Common file formats online. unrar-free handles most archives well if you only need to read them, but doesn't always work with more advanced RAR features (multi-part RARs or passworded RARs).

I've finally ditched a bunch of other proprietary software - cedega (wine is now better for almost every game), java is now open source, kvm makes vmware useless, etc.

I'd really like to see a solid open source version of unrar/rar though. It's something that the open source community could do fairly easily.