FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
blag 90k dies on startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfar893fm
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: blag 90k dies on startup Reply with quote

i just upgraded from blag 60k (which worked fine) on a gateway p3 laptop, and now the computer cuts off suddenly after "welcome to blag!" the previous linux distro i had installed also had this same problem, but dyne:bolic docked starts up without any problem. is there a parameter i could add to menu.lst to fix this?
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noacpi

?

The file in blag is /boot/grub/grub.conf (which debian calls menu.lst).

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: blag 90k dies on startup Reply with quote

cfar893fm wrote:
cuts off suddenly after "welcome to blag!"

Does it ever say:
"Press 'I' to enter interactive startup."

?

And but cuts off what exactly do you mean? The power turns off? It just hangs there with blinking cursor forever, the screen off? wha?

cfar893fm
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what exactly do you mean? The power turns off? It just hangs there with blinking cursor forever, the screen off? wha?
sorry, yes the electricity suddenly stops. off.

Quote:
Does it ever say:
it does, then udev, then off

Quote:
noacpi

?

i tried that first, adding it the kernel line (and then the init line) but nothing different, power turns off.

once, though, just after posting this, it did boot up, but hung on adt or atd or something. when ctrl-alt-del, it said logged in 90001 oxygen. but just that one time. could it be heat? that laptop gets sizzling hot after staying on a while, and i want it to stay on 24/7...

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfar893fm wrote:
Quote:
what exactly do you mean? The power turns off? It just hangs there with blinking cursor forever, the screen off? wha?
sorry, yes the electricity suddenly stops. off.

Quote:
Does it ever say:
it does, then udev, then off

Ok, well, subtle things like that are all the difference in the world to me. Above you said it was after the blag line and there are just `echo`s there, so I was a bit wondering.... So it's udev related, perhaps.

cfar893fm wrote:
once, though, just after posting this, it did boot up, but hung on adt or atd or something. when ctrl-alt-del, it said logged in 90001 oxygen. but just that one time. could it be heat? that laptop gets sizzling hot after staying on a while, and i want it to stay on 24/7...

Ah, well, if it got to atd, the next thing is avahi. I've seen it "hang" at points like that, but just let it sit there for a bit as it churns something out. I'm not sure what's up there, but i've seen it too. It eventually goes so i'm guessing a DNS timeout or similar.

A sizzling hot laptop can *definitely* be a problem. Maybe udev turns something on and it quickly overheats. Just guessing.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP