FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Display probs w/nvidia - rescan probs w/o

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berkbw
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Display probs w/nvidia - rescan probs w/o Reply with quote

X + Nvidia drivers in 9001, and my machine, I think it's Intel, are almost completely unusable for me. The screen resolution changes on boot, and during use, and the fonts are barely usable. I can not read inbox listings in T-bird. I need and use 800x600.

So - I yanked the video board, reset the bios .. hoping that X would find I810, but it doesn't look.

What do y'all suggest?
Berk

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite understand your scenario above, but try:

Code:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.foo

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, which nvidia drivers you talking?
berkbw
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old driver was "nv". The current driver is "intel". There is a listing, somewhere here referencing "i810", which is what this board has. Thanks for pointing to where the .conf was, I missed seeing it when changing resolutions before.:(. There are a slew of places documented to might have the info.

The "intel" driver running off of the on-board I810 chip is worse, in some ways, than the "nv" driver was with my graphics board. T-bird looks good - f-fox (Minefield) is now looking bad.. System-Administrator-Display will not change the resolution, nor will preferences.

There are things (text) on my 17" screen that I can not read with my glasses on and up CLOSE.

Realizing that 90k & 90001 are still experimental, I will smile, say "thank you for your neverending work", and go back to 70K. I liked what I saw of 90k.

Berk.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP