FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
[Solved] Installing new software in 90001

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: [Solved] Installing new software in 90001 Reply with quote

I'm looking to install dvd ripping software and a DAW in 90001 (I'm liking the look of Traverso), Can someone help me with download and install instructions please as i'm totally in the wilderness when it come to non-packaged stuff?

Thanks in advance,
Hy

Last edited by Hy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the 90001 installed (still running 70000), but I always found OGM DVDRip to be excellent for ripping DVDS. I have no idea what a DAW is tho.
Hy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint of Killers wrote:
I don't have the 90001 installed (still running 70000), but I always found OGM DVDRip to be excellent for ripping DVDS. I have no idea what a DAW is tho.

I tried getting dvdrip though, first through Synaptic (later to be told that synaptic in 90001 doesn't work right) download didn't complete. Then tried 'yum'ing it ...again no luck.
Any pointers?

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation (I think). Like Ableton Live, Cubase and Acid Pro.

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new software in 90001 Reply with quote

Hy wrote:
I'm looking to install dvd ripping software and a DAW in 90001 (I'm liking the look of Traverso), Can someone help me with download and install instructions please as i'm totally in the wilderness when it come to non-packaged stuff?

Sorry synaptic is busted. Sad to see. Yum is the way now...

Code:
su -
yum update
yum install yumex
yum install qjackctl ardour2

Ardour is definitely the best DAW.

Yumex you may find more convenient to use to install applications.

gr00ve
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new software in 90001 Reply with quote

Hy wrote:
install dvd ripping software

here is the how to:

1) yum install dvdrip cpan
2) cpan
2.1) install Video::DVDRip [will fail but it is OK]
3) yum remove dvdrip
4) cpan
4.1) force install Video::DVDRip [will fail but it is OK]
5) yum install dvdrip

presto, working dvdrip installed

:)

Hy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new software in 90001 Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Hy wrote:

Sorry synaptic is busted. Sad to see. Yum is the way now...

Code:
su -
yum update
yum install yumex
yum install qjackctl ardour2

Ardour is definitely the best DAW.

Yumex you may find more convenient to use to install applications.

Cheers jebba! I'm up and running! ;D
And Yumex looks like it's just what i need. Thanks again!

Hy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new software in 90001 Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:
Hy wrote:
install dvd ripping software

here is the how to:

1) yum install dvdrip cpan
2) cpan
2.1) install Video::DVDRip [will fail but it is OK]
3) yum remove dvdrip
4) cpan
4.1) force install Video::DVDRip [will fail but it is OK]
5) yum install dvdrip

presto, working dvdrip installed

:)

Well that was an adventure!
Cheers gr00ve, I'm blown away by all the help i'm getting on this forum!

Hy

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow traverso looks quite nice. I like that it can work with jack. New ideas on user interface... ardour still rules though.

http://traverso-daw.org

Have you seen any traverso packages for fedora anywhere? I can build some up perhaps....

john maclean
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/5607182/com/traverso-0.42.0-1.fc8.ccrma.i386.rpm.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john maclean wrote:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/5607182/com/traverso-0.42.0-1.fc8.ccrma.i386.rpm.html

Heh, that version is actually in blag80k. Planetccmra isn't packaging it anymore, i dont't know why.

Hy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Wow traverso looks quite nice. I like that it can work with jack. New ideas on user interface... ardour still rules though.

http://traverso-daw.org

Have you seen any traverso packages for fedora anywhere? I can build some up perhaps....

I only just stumbled on it myself, so sorry, can't really help except to say that their site seems to indicate some annoying bugs in the Linux version only.

S'funny (to me), I tried Ardour in Musix and Dyne:bolic ...even Puppy and could never get it to fly, so I'm mighty pleased that it's working on Blag :D ...what's the deal with needing Jack anyways? (I should mention that I'm an (ex?) Ableton Live 6 user who only used to hafta load one piece of software to play with sounds)

vx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
john maclean wrote:

Heh, that version is actually in blag80k. Planetccmra isn't packaging it anymore, i dont't know why.

and how to include the blag80k repo to yum&search for traverso? I have to change it in /etc/yum.repos.d ?

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP