FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
[Solved] CD and DVD

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: [Solved] CD and DVD Reply with quote

I was loathe to make this request, because i'va already had LOADS of good help from you guys - and this is really just a niggle:

When i insert a CD (or DVD) in the drive i get the message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audio Disc (or DVD)
You have just inserted an Audio CD (or DVD). Choose what application to launch.
Select how to open ....{I'm sure you know this dialogue}
[No application found]
[Eject] [Cancel] [OK]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brackets are mine BTW.

In Xine I can just click CD or DVD to access the disks, but autoinsert would be so much more convenient.

I would imagine i'm not the first to query this, and if so a link to the thread would suffice.

Thanks again (again!)

Hy



Last edited by Hy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
gr00ve
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

install rhythmbox if haven't done so already, then system > preferences > personal > preferred applications, multimedia tab.
Hy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:
install rhythmbox if haven't done so already, then system > preferences > personal > preferred applications, multimedia tab.


Cheers gr00ve!
I've installed it and now have more control of the audio ...any pointers as goes DVD's?

Also, can someone recommend good scanning interface(s)? I'm using Gnome Scan 'Scanner Utility 0.6' but it's incredibly slow and doesn't seem to want to let me scan just part of the flatbed, i have to do the whole A4 every time ...which takes forever if i scan at 300dpi.
I used a different utility in Puppy (can't remember what it was called now) which i installed from a 'pet', file which was fast and very adjustable?

Thanks once more!

Hy

gr00ve
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy wrote:
any pointers as goes DVD's?


0) install vlc
1) right click any video file (avi or whatever), do properties and in "opens with" select vlc.
2) open /home/user/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and add to the last line:
x-content/video-dvd=vlc.desktop;
3) open nautilus > edit > preferences > media tab, here you can switch to use vlc upon inserting a dvd

Magic Banana
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have kept the default desktop (Gnome), look at "System/Preferences/Removable Devices And Media" (approximatively since translated from French). The tab multimedia let you specify a command to execute when a CD (respectively a DVD) is inserted. For instance, you can set 'totem %m' (without the quotes) for the DVDs.
gr00ve
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Banana wrote:
If you have kept the default desktop (Gnome), look at "System/Preferences/Removable Devices And Media" (approximatively since translated from French). The tab multimedia let you specify a command to execute when a CD (respectively a DVD) is inserted. For instance, you can set 'totem %m' (without the quotes) for the DVDs.


that's on older versions of fedora/blag, not gonna work on 9/90k since there is no multimedia tab in Removable Devices And Media. and system > personal > preferred applications has no autorun settings under multimedia tab. nautilus is the only place which allows to mess with autorun settings.

Hy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:
Hy wrote:
any pointers as goes DVD's?


0) install vlc
1) right click any video file (avi or whatever), do properties and in "opens with" select vlc.
2) open /home/user/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and add to the last line:
x-content/video-dvd=vlc.desktop;
3) open nautilus > edit > preferences > media tab, here you can switch to use vlc upon inserting a dvd


I installed VLC, which is now showing up as a choice to play the disk with :)
I couldn't find the location of the mimeapps.list (lst?), and a search didn't find it either.
Is that cos i'm using v90001?
Anyhoo, It's doing what i need now, so again(!) Thanks!

gr00ve
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy wrote:
I couldn't find the location of the mimeapps.list (lst?)


it is in your user profile directory/home/yourusername, view > show hidden files in nautilus will make it visible.

Hy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:
Hy wrote:
I couldn't find the location of the mimeapps.list (lst?)


it is in your user profile directory/home/yourusername, view > show hidden files in nautilus will make it visible.


Got it!
It already has: x-content/video-dvd=livna-vlc.desktop;

Is that okay to leave with the 'livna' part as it is?

Thanks again.

jebba
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy wrote:
gr00ve wrote:
Hy wrote:
I couldn't find the location of the mimeapps.list (lst?)


it is in your user profile directory/home/yourusername, view > show hidden files in nautilus will make it visible.


Got it!
It already has: x-content/video-dvd=livna-vlc.desktop;

Is that okay to leave with the 'livna' part as it is?

Thanks again.


Ya, livna part is fine. It is there as that is where we got the vlc.rpm from.

Hy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy wrote:
Also, can someone recommend good scanning interface(s)? I'm using Gnome Scan 'Scanner Utility 0.6' but it's incredibly slow and doesn't seem to want to let me scan just part of the flatbed, i have to do the whole A4 every time ...which takes forever if i scan at 300dpi.
I used a different utility in Puppy (can't remember what it was called now) which i installed from a 'pet', file which was fast and very adjustable?


Haha! It was Xsane, which i now have onboard <G> Thanks to gr00ve, Jebba et al for all the help!
Now to get productive!

Best wishes to all,

Hy

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BLAG Forum Index -> support
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP