BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [Solved] CD and DVD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:59 pm 

I was loathe to make this request, because i'va already had LOADS of good help from you guys - and this is really just a niggle:

When i insert a CD (or DVD) in the drive i get the message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audio Disc (or DVD)
You have just inserted an Audio CD (or DVD). Choose what application to launch.
Select how to open ....{I'm sure you know this dialogue}
[No application found]
[Eject] [Cancel] [OK]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brackets are mine BTW.

In Xine I can just click CD or DVD to access the disks, but autoinsert would be so much more convenient.

I would imagine i'm not the first to query this, and if so a link to the thread would suffice.

Thanks again (again!)

Hy

Last edited by Hy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:31 pm 

install rhythmbox if haven't done so already, then system > preferences > personal > preferred applications, multimedia tab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:20 pm 

gr00ve wrote:
install rhythmbox if haven't done so already, then system > preferences > personal > preferred applications, multimedia tab.

Cheers gr00ve!
I've installed it and now have more control of the audio ...any pointers as goes DVD's?

Also, can someone recommend good scanning interface(s)? I'm using Gnome Scan 'Scanner Utility 0.6' but it's incredibly slow and doesn't seem to want to let me scan just part of the flatbed, i have to do the whole A4 every time ...which takes forever if i scan at 300dpi.
I used a different utility in Puppy (can't remember what it was called now) which i installed from a 'pet', file which was fast and very adjustable?

Thanks once more!

Hy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:58 am 

Hy wrote:
any pointers as goes DVD's?

0) install vlc
1) right click any video file (avi or whatever), do properties and in "opens with" select vlc.
2) open /home/user/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and add to the last line:
x-content/video-dvd=vlc.desktop;
3) open nautilus > edit > preferences > media tab, here you can switch to use vlc upon inserting a dvd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:51 am 

If you have kept the default desktop (Gnome), look at "System/Preferences/Removable Devices And Media" (approximatively since translated from French). The tab multimedia let you specify a command to execute when a CD (respectively a DVD) is inserted. For instance, you can set 'totem %m' (without the quotes) for the DVDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:02 am 

Magic Banana wrote:
If you have kept the default desktop (Gnome), look at "System/Preferences/Removable Devices And Media" (approximatively since translated from French). The tab multimedia let you specify a command to execute when a CD (respectively a DVD) is inserted. For instance, you can set 'totem %m' (without the quotes) for the DVDs.

that's on older versions of fedora/blag, not gonna work on 9/90k since there is no multimedia tab in Removable Devices And Media. and system > personal > preferred applications has no autorun settings under multimedia tab. nautilus is the only place which allows to mess with autorun settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 pm 

gr00ve wrote:
Hy wrote:
any pointers as goes DVD's?

0) install vlc
1) right click any video file (avi or whatever), do properties and in "opens with" select vlc.
2) open /home/user/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and add to the last line:
x-content/video-dvd=vlc.desktop;
3) open nautilus > edit > preferences > media tab, here you can switch to use vlc upon inserting a dvd

I installed VLC, which is now showing up as a choice to play the disk with :)
I couldn't find the location of the mimeapps.list (lst?), and a search didn't find it either.
Is that cos i'm using v90001?
Anyhoo, It's doing what i need now, so again(!) Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 am 

Hy wrote:
I couldn't find the location of the mimeapps.list (lst?)

it is in your user profile directory/home/yourusername, view > show hidden files in nautilus will make it visible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:01 pm 

gr00ve wrote:
Hy wrote:

it is in your user profile directory/home/yourusername, view > show hidden files in nautilus will make it visible.

Got it!
It already has: x-content/video-dvd=livna-vlc.desktop;

Is that okay to leave with the 'livna' part as it is?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hy wrote:
gr00ve wrote:
Hy wrote:

Got it!
It already has: x-content/video-dvd=livna-vlc.desktop;

Is that okay to leave with the 'livna' part as it is?

Thanks again.

Ya, livna part is fine. It is there as that is where we got the vlc.rpm from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:48 pm 

Hy wrote:
Also, can someone recommend good scanning interface(s)? I'm using Gnome Scan 'Scanner Utility 0.6' but it's incredibly slow and doesn't seem to want to let me scan just part of the flatbed, i have to do the whole A4 every time ...which takes forever if i scan at 300dpi.
I used a different utility in Puppy (can't remember what it was called now) which i installed from a 'pet', file which was fast and very adjustable?

Haha! It was Xsane, which i now have onboard <G> Thanks to gr00ve, Jebba et al for all the help!
Now to get productive!

Best wishes to all,

Hy