BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 90001 net install
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:13 pm 

I think I'm doing it wrong. I downloaded the net install image, burned it to CD. When it boot it wants to know where stage2.img is. I see one on the CD, but I do the url method and point it to ...../90000/en/os/i386 and we go GUI. (I tried two different burns and same result) so I go through, partition, it formats the drive, then it goes, I can't find the repo data and I can go no further. So here I am, on the winders laptop downloading the full image. Not how I wanted to spend my first play with my computer day in 4 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:43 pm 

So the other problem I keep having is my downloads from blag get a connection reset after 100 megs, I'm suspecting my ISP is monkeying with my packets.

Anyways, I managed to find a 90K CD I burnt at work, not sure if it's chlorine or oxygen, but I'd consider settling for odd about now.

So, computer number is getting a fresh install. I plan on doing one more computer and a laptop today, plus a bit of data recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

My ISP definitely mucks with the packets garr. (I can easily test it by tunnelling around them and going straight into blag). Quite annoying.

Glad you're on the path to installation I was thinking a jayeola post would be coming re: net installs ;)

Have fun,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:44 pm 

Let's just say that installing BLAG 90K on a pentium II laptop didn't pan out ;) Right now I'm trying to install Debian-XFCE (sans slaveware disk) on it. I think it was working, but accidentally caused it to reboot (I was installing it in my sleep) If that doesn't work, I might try to seed it with DSL instead.

My main computer is purring with 90K, just trying to get all my old info off of bunch of old hard drives so I can wipe them and use those as testing drives, but been battling Logical_Volume framework.

I still have the third computer, which is a friends, his winders pooched, and he said I could put Linux on it. I just need to preserve his pr0n.

Once I get the stupid wireless router replaced, I'll be able to BLAG from the better laptop and have no reason to see windows at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
Let's just say that installing BLAG 90K on a pentium II laptop didn't pan out ;)

You try text mode by any chance? I'd really like 90k to work on that old stuff, but I can see how it's just outgrowing it. In years past I had access to *tons* of old crap, but since I've been in buenos aires I don't know of any computer recycling centers or anything. They just don't have the piles of old computers here like they do in UK.

The one PoS I have here has so many hardware problems it's not much of a good testbed.

noldrin wrote:
Right now I'm trying to install Debian-XFCE (sans slaveware disk) on it. I think it was working, but accidentally caused it to reboot (I was installing it in my sleep) If that doesn't work, I might try to seed it with DSL instead.

Oh that reminds me. I really "should" go over to debian day here in buenos aires. gar, i'm a bit late now.... If debian works on there so should the gnewsenses...

noldrin wrote:
My main computer is purring with 90K, just trying to get all my old info off of bunch of old hard drives so I can wipe them and use those as testing drives, but been battling Logical_Volume framework.

I do <NEXT><NEXT><NEXT> installs, but if it's something I'm *really* going to use I don't do the LVM stuff. I think it causes some pretty significant I/O slowdown too, but I haven't sat around and actually benchmarked it.

noldrin wrote:
I still have the third computer, which is a friends, his winders pooched, and he said I could put Linux on it. I just need to preserve his pr0n.

haha. Well, it'll be more secure for that at least!

noldrin wrote:
Once I get the stupid wireless router replaced, I'll be able to BLAG from the better laptop and have no reason to see windows at home.

Perfectoz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:21 pm 

Quote:
You try text mode by any chance? I'd really like 90k to work on that old stuff, but I can see how it's just outgrowing it. In years past I had access to *tons* of old crap, but since I've been in buenos aires I don't know of any computer recycling centers or anything. They just don't have the piles of old computers here like they do in UK.

Yes, it automatically went into text install, the interesting part is when I told it explicitly to do text mode I still got a message about the graphical installer being unable to run. The installer dies, just reboots, when it's figuring out the package depens. Second time I decided both optional packages, no dice. I'm not sure what they have been doing to anaconda or the python it runs on, i used to be able to run it with a GUI on my Pentium 2 box. Perhaps an older version would help.

Maybe if I had a micro install just to get me to a command prompt and a yum command. I think perhaps have the startup startup as few things as possible. I've also heard the 2.4 kernel is a lot better for older machines. (according to DSL)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:45 pm 

got debian-xfce finally on the box. Can't claim I'm overly impressed with it. Makes BLAG 90K look like a well polished sports car. After comparing the packages of BLAG 30K with Cent OS 4.6, I can't say that it's too far off, perhaps a GAIM update. I feel very tempted to try installing that. Maybe I can find some updated packages to suggested adding to the repo, I remember running 30K on a comparable machine with good results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
got debian-xfce finally on the box. Can't claim I'm overly impressed with it. Makes BLAG 90K look like a well polished sports car. After comparing the packages of BLAG 30K with Cent OS 4.6, I can't say that it's too far off, perhaps a GAIM update. I feel very tempted to try installing that. Maybe I can find some updated packages to suggested adding to the repo, I remember running 30K on a comparable machine with good results.

I'm not sure what you're all using it for but perhaps putting some recent kernel on there and a recent firefox (straight from them?) might bring it up to be "secure enough" if you're just going to surf around and don't need protect your world-takeover secret plans.

(speaking of which it looks like fedora got the pwn last week as they've been quite shut down since last thursday....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 pm 

The Kernel is the big one. I'm wondering how hard it wold be to transplant 2.4 kernel...If I get it going, I'm going to try and throw in linux-libre to see how it works. If I get desperate, I'll throw in the RH/CentOS kernel. The nice thing with grub is it's easy to try several kernels out. I believe Firefox is considered secure at with version 1.5.0.12, that's what RH/CentOS uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:39 pm 

BLAG 30K was a slick install onto the Pentium II laptop. I was surprised to find the graphics I saw in 90K greeting me when the CD booted up. Everything so far is pretty much working. I still have the same problem as on the other laptop where I have trouble getting on wireless, although I've narrowed the problem down to the issue is DHCP fails.I think the router has some weird setting, such as WINS enabled. I'll get into the router tonight and look around. Would like to resolve it on the laptop side too in case it happens somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

The net install for 90k is an odd one. I'll have to look at anaconda later. I've done about ten installs on Thinkpad X30, X60 and a generic box with the same results.
- It's gui mode every time (linux text was ignored)
- Anaconda more or less ignores your package options
- The parameters you specify from memory are:-
URL = blagblagblag.org
dir = pub/blag/linux/90000/en/os/i386/images

/me lays sick in bed, playing with a vpn -*- cough, cough, hack, hack -*-