FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
[Solved] screen resolution problem on 24" iMac

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gurdy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: [Solved] screen resolution problem on 24" iMac Reply with quote

I'm running Blag 70000 on a 24" iMac. The iMac's native screen resolution is 1920 by 1200 pixels, but when I choose System > Preferences > Hardware > Screen Resolution, the highest resolution listed is 1600 x 1200. which makes images look stretched wider by about 20%.

I tried editing xorg.conf, although I noticed it had a note that it was created by pyxf86config. Then when I logged out and logged in, I got a message that there was a problem with the configuration, and took me into a configuration utility -- system-config-display I think. I was happy to see that it listed 1920 x1200 as one option, and I choose that, but now when I login the default screen resolution is still 1600 x 1200, and when I choose System > Preferences > Hardware > Screen Resolution, the highest resolution listed is still 1600 x 1200..

Any suggestions? Here's my xorg.conf now:
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1920x1200"
HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by gurdy on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jebba
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anything in here help?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=317781

gr00ve
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: screen resolution problem on 24" iMac Reply with quote

vesa driver doesn't always work well with high res (@least from what i saw before), isn't there some real vid card driver for this?

gurdy wrote:

DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
EndSection

can you try to edit like above?

(killall gdm-binary will also be needed after killing x i think)

gurdy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Does anything in here help?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=317781

Thanks for the tip. The main suggestion there was to remove (or rename) /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X and see what happens. I did that, and that caused no changes. The system didn't even create a new xorg.conf. I'll watch that bug report in case more info turns up there.

gurdy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: screen resolution problem on 24" iMac Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:
vesa driver doesn't always work well with high res (@least from what i saw before), isn't there some real vid card driver for this?

gurdy wrote:

DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1200"
EndSubSection
EndSection

can you try to edit like above?

(killall gdm-binary will also be needed after killing x i think)

Thanks -- I edited my xorg.conf accordingly and rebooted but that didn't help.

Then I tried changing the driver from vesa to radeon (the iMac has a ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics processor). When I rebooted, X couldn't start, and I got sent back into system-config-display. I configured that for 1920 x 1200 as before but that only created the xorg.conf that I posted in my first message.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Are there any other suggestions?

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: screen resolution problem on 24" iMac Reply with quote

gurdy wrote:
Are there any other suggestions?

Buy a cheaper computer? ;)

saddletramp
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: screen resolution problem on 24" iMac Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
gurdy wrote:
Are there any other suggestions?

Buy a cheaper computer? ;)

there's a recommendation you don't hear every day!!

gurdy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Blag 90001 fixes it Reply with quote

I've installed BLAG 90001, and now I've got 1920 x 1200!

To get BLAG to boot (in a dual-boot configuration with Mac OS X) I had to install BLAG 90001 twice, the same as described here:
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=4880&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=missing+operating+system

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP