BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:38 pm 

Greetings.

First, thank you for all the work on BLAG and those of you who have shared on your posts. I installed 91000 on an old Dell laptop with a PCMCIA card and it worked out of the box. So far, only BLAG and Ubuntu have been quite so successful.

My question and post is about installing Chinese fonts for use with SCIM. I get the following message with Yum and Yumex when I try to install the metapackage for Chinese fonts:

Missing Dependency: cjkunifonts-uming is needed by package fonts-chinese-3.03-12.fc8.noarch (blag)
Missing Dependency: cjkunifonts-ukai is needed by package fonts-chinese-3.03-12.fc8.noarch (blag)

I installed the above missing fonts from freedesktop manually using their tar.gz Luckily, their instructions were quite clear.

code]mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/uming
* cp *.ttc fonts.* /usr/share/fonts/truetype/uming
* cp *.conf /etc/fonts/conf.avail/
* cd /etc/fonts/conf.d
* ln -s ../conf.avail/*-ttf-arphic-uming-*.conf .
* fc-cache -fv
* xset fp rehash[/code]

And then installed SCIM. Everything appears to work well enough in Abiword and my on-line dictionaries.

I don't know if this is relevant, but during the installation process, I was informed that the fonts were not installed to x11/fonts/truetype etc because there was no such directory. My first time around I created a directory for truetype in x11 and it may have been the cause of some problems in Xine (not sure). After a clean install of BLAG--for other reasons--everything appears to work.

If you could fix the repository, that would be great. But if not, installing the CJK fonts is not too hard.

Best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

These packages have been added to the repository, and should satisfy your dependencies :)

cjkunifonts-ukai-0.1.20060928-4.fc8.noarch.rpm
cjkunifonts-uming-0.1.20060928-4.fc8.noarch.rpm

They'll be ready in an hour or so. They weren't added automatically because they are under the "Arphic" license, which wasn't on my list of good licenses. I've added it. See also:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:02 pm 

Cool, and thanks for the link. I didn't realize that the arphic fonts were in muddy waters.

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

dow franklin wrote:
Cool, and thanks for the link. I didn't realize that the arphic fonts were in muddy waters.

They weren't in muddy waters, i had just never looked up the license and added it to the list. FSF says they are free software, so we're fine. :)

Post subject: Re: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:
dow franklin wrote:

They weren't in muddy waters, i had just never looked up the license and added it to the list. FSF says they are free software, so we're fine. :)

Uh, i should add the FSF didn't say that about that particular package, just about that license! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:39 pm 

Works like a charm.

Thanks again.