BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 am 
Site Admin

extraspecialbitter wrote:
I've run into a problem with the latest openbox image. I can get to the wired network at my workplace (a 172.17.0.0 address), but can no longer bring up eth0 at home (a 192.168.0.0 address). "ifup eth0" errors out with an error trying to access my workplace's default router (172.17.8.1 instead of 192.168.0.1). I suspect the IP info is being cached, but I'm not sure how to clear it apart from reinstalling. The GNOME version doesn't do this.

Two things I did after reinstalling at work (since the reverse happened - my home's IP info seemed to be cached) may or may not have anything to do with this: 1) I disabled NetworkManager, 2) I performed a yum update.

Hmm. It shouldn't be permanently storing it. You can always try `ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0` if you haven't done that already,. `dhclient eth0`. uh.. I dont think it has anything to do with a yum update. `/etc/init.d/network restart` more if i think of something.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:24 am 

jebba wrote:
I'll give the new image a try later today. I discovered that I can "liveinst" to an HD card, which, while painfully slow, can provide a good, portable snapshot of a usable system. I used this method to save a copy of a gnome freeeee image as a security blanket of sorts.

Cool, let me know of anything that needs quick fixing before making a larger announcement. I think it's more or less ready now, except missing a good wifi GUI.

Not sure if it qualifies as a "good wifi GUI", but I managed to get WICD working under FREEEEE by not exactly following the instructions found at http://wicd.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fedora. Long story short: download and untar the tarball, then follow the instructions in the INSTALL file, namely:

Code:
yum install python-devel
python setup.py configure
python setup.py install

Make sure NetworkManager is turned off like so:

Code:
chkconfig NetworkManager off

reboot, at which time you should see the wicd service start up shortly after eth0 comes up. To bring up the butt-ugly-but-functional GUI, type:

Code:
wicd-client &

Starting up wired, wireless and VPN networks are all fairly intuitive. And it works (tm)!

Assuming I can duplicate any of the above, I promise to immortalize it in a wiki...

Paul (Extra Special Bitter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Code:
yum install wicd
/etc/init.d/wicd start
wicd-client

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:50 pm 

jebba wrote:
I've run into a problem with the latest openbox image. I can get to the wired network at my workplace (a 172.17.0.0 address), but can no longer bring up eth0 at home (a 192.168.0.0 address). "ifup eth0" errors out with an error trying to access my workplace's default router (172.17.8.1 instead of 192.168.0.1). I suspect the IP info is being cached, but I'm not sure how to clear it apart from reinstalling. The GNOME version doesn't do this.

Two things I did after reinstalling at work (since the reverse happened - my home's IP info seemed to be cached) may or may not have anything to do with this: 1) I disabled NetworkManager, 2) I performed a yum update.

Hmm. It shouldn't be permanently storing it. You can always try `ifdown eth0 ; ifup eth0` if you haven't done that already,. `dhclient eth0`. uh.. I dont think it has anything to do with a yum update. `/etc/init.d/network restart` more if i think of something.........

I found that the only way to get around this was to remove the *.leases files from the /var/lib/dhclient directory before restarting the network. One would think that dhclient should be doing this automatically, but perhaps it's trying to outsmart me. %^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:39 am 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:

I found that the only way to get around this was to remove the *.leases files from the /var/lib/dhclient directory before restarting the network. One would think that dhclient should be doing this automatically, but perhaps it's trying to outsmart me. %^)

Ya, right now in freeeee we have a mixmash of NetworkManager, wicd, regular networking, etc. I think I may settle in to wicd but it definitely needs some work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:23 am 

now that it looks like wicd can provide a reasonable wifi gui, my next hurdle is getting comfortable with openbox. So here's an elementary question - having created a separate login account, how does one disable the "marley" autologin?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:24 am 
Site Admin

now that it looks like wicd can provide a reasonable wifi gui, my next hurdle is getting comfortable with openbox. So here's an elementary question - having created a separate login account, how does one disable the "marley" autologin?

you can't, not that i know of. You could edit /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group and replace marley with your username if you want. Also then mv /home/marley to the new username and reboot. UID 500 winz, in sum.

But you shouldn't do that. Just use the default desktop and make it better. You can grab the git archive here:
http://git.dyne.org/index.cgi?url=freeeee/log/

For write access email jaromil@dyne.org. I'm seeing if we can make it public read/write ala wikipedia. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:14 pm 

I was really just interested in leaving the marley environment intact and creating my own custom environment as a way to learn more about Openbox. What I did instead was create a new user, making it UID 500 and Marley something else. As you might have guessed, that didn't work very well. The reboot hung and I ended up having to boot the live image long enough to put /etc/passwd back the way it was. I consider myself duly chastened. %^O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:38 pm 

One of the cool things about the eeepc is that it is so lightweight that I think nothing of bringing it back and forth from home to work and firing it up. The problem I've encountered is that after being connected to one network and then shutting down, I can never come up in another network without first deleting the files under /var/lib/dhclient and then rebooting. For now I've worked around this by adding a line at the very end of the "stop" logic in /etc/init.d/network:

Code:
rm -f /var/lib/dhclient/*

I've checked out the Fedora and EeeUser forums and haven't seen this problem reported. I also took a quick look at the NetworkManager startup/shutdown scripts and didn't see that there was any obvious dhclient cleanup logic that went away when NetworkManager was disabled. My question: is this a bug? Or am I greedy for wanting to boot freeeee everywhere? :^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm 

I've seen stuff like that if you suspend or hibernate, not if you shutdown. Perhaps disconnect from network manually before shutting down computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:41 pm 

noldrin wrote:
I've seen stuff like that if you suspend or hibernate, not if you shutdown. Perhaps disconnect from network manually before shutting down computer.

This is happening after an orderly shutdown and startup, but I haven't experimented with disconnecting from the network before shutting down.

What I *have* done is remove my kludge from /etc/init.d/network and activate avahi-daemon. I reconnected to the network here at my workplace just fine after a reboot, but the real test will be connecting to a different network when I get home later today. Thanks - and stay tuned...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Well, if you have the latest version as of a week ago or so, the network manager is wicd and comes up in the "Net" desktop at boot. It is a pretty straightforward program. If you use it, neither wlan0 or eth0 should be set to start at boot. Also, NetworkManager shouldn't be set to start at boot.

I've been able to use wicd fine with my "in the clear"/open wifi network without problems (very easily, in fact). I've had two people say they can't get it going with WPA. I dont know if that's due to the driver or wicd. There's some bug in wicd that won't bring up eth0 though. Doh. I'm talking to the developer about that. For now with ethernet just run this as root: `/sbin/ifup eth0`

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:14 pm 

jebba wrote:
Well, if you have the latest version as of a week ago or so, the network manager is wicd and comes up in the "Net" desktop at boot. It is a pretty straightforward program. If you use it, neither wlan0 or eth0 should be set to start at boot. Also, NetworkManager shouldn't be set to start at boot.

I have the latest version, and wicd-client comes up as expected. Interesting that some apps go to their designated desktop and others don't, but I digress. NetworkManager is turned off, but "network" is still turned on.

jebba wrote:
I've been able to use wicd fine with my "in the clear"/open wifi network without problems (very easily, in fact). I've had two people say they can't get it going with WPA. I dont know if that's due to the driver or wicd. There's some bug in wicd that won't bring up eth0 though. Doh. I'm talking to the developer about that. For now with ethernet just run this as root: `/sbin/ifup eth0`

wicd-client works fine with my wep-ified wireless at home, and my eth0 gets started by /etc/init.d/network. I'm hopeful that by turning on the avahi-daemon (which had been turned off for some reason) I can jump back and forth between networks without having to clean up dhcp leases and rebooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:

I have the latest version, and wicd-client comes up as expected. NetworkManager is turned off, but "network" is still turned on.

Si, i have NetworkManager off, network on, both eth0/wlan0 set to *not* come up on boot (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ONBOOT=no), and no avahi starting.

Interesting that some apps go to their designated desktop and others don't, but I digress.

Si, this is most annoying. Most most most annoying. pcfmanfcmaman or whatever the unnameable file manager that was proposed doesnt cooperate, for example. `xprop | grep CLASS` click on window to find name/class. Some apps have a different name when they launch than when they are running too. Any insights here most welcome.

jebba wrote:

wicd-client works fine with my wep-ified wireless at home, and my eth0 gets started by /etc/init.d/network. I'm hopeful that by turning on the avahi-daemon (which had been turned off for some reason) I can jump back and forth between networks without having to clean up dhcp leases and rebooting.

I haven't had to clean up a lease a single time, fwiw, so something got "introduced" into your setup. ;) I hear WEP is basically the same as running a clear network since it's so easy to crack. Have you tried WPA by any chance?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm 

jebba wrote:
I haven't had to clean up a lease a single time, fwiw, so something got "introduced" into your setup. ;) I hear WEP is basically the same as running a clear network since it's so easy to crack. Have you tried WPA by any chance?

-Jeff

Will WPA work under freeeee/wicd-client? Am I better off working with unencrypted wifi than believing I've secured my network with WEP?

On a related note, I've tried the last 3 freeeee images but can't get any to work with WEP. Unencrypted wifi works fine - even on the MBTA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next