BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:38 pm 

I was going to download kernel libre and compile it on my new acer one. But before I do, is GLX back in now its free. I'll wait if it is, rather than do it twice. I also understand that the atheros driver works in kernel 26.27. without madwifi. Not that I know much about such stuff but with that and quite good hsdpa support things are looking up on the free front.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

oswaldkelso wrote:
I was going to download kernel libre and compile it on my new acer one. But before I do, is GLX back in now its free. I'll wait if it is, rather than do it twice. I also understand that the atheros driver works in kernel 26.27. without madwifi. Not that I know much about such stuff but with that and quite good hsdpa support things are looking up on the free front.

The code was in mesa and X, AFAIK, not the kernel. You should be fine.

Acer one uses ath5k?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:53 am 

jebba wrote:

The code was in mesa and X, AFAIK, not the kernel. You should be fine.

Acer one uses ath5k?

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought it was something to do with a "blob".
Regarding the wifi on the Acer one and ath5k. I found this thread.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/view ... rt=30&st=0

" I've been compiling the latest 2.6.27 snapshots and have my config pruned down quite a bit. No need for external wifi drivers anymore..."

It seems that it does work on the acer though I've not tried it. At the moment I have my usual Debian install on it, no contrib or non free so no wifi, but I did try the Huawei e160g and Huawei e169 HSDPA modems both worked with the gpl'd vodafone driver, just not at my home! I live in a mobile phone blackspot. If the ath5k bit could be added to kernel libre it would be nice :) I have no idea if this is at all possible.
I have downloaded freeeee and set aside a partition for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:18 pm 

Well I tried freeee on my acer one from a usb stick. It Ran, compiz worked, webcam worked, sound was louder and just felt better than stock, or my debian install. The key mapping was astray, and being in Spanish? made it harder for me to figure stuff out. It found my wifi router but I could not connect. I found the interface a little to geeky for my taste, butt ugly in fact but was impressed by what did work.
Unfortunately I no longer have my acer as it died for the second time so was returned, pity as I loved it when it was working. I'm now in the market for another umpc probably a advent4211 or dell mini. Every thing else seems to expensive for the spec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

oswaldkelso wrote:
Well I tried freeee on my acer one from a usb stick. It Ran, compiz worked, webcam worked, sound was louder and just felt better than stock, or my debian install. The key mapping was astray, and being in Spanish? made it harder for me to figure stuff out. It found my wifi router but I could not connect. I found the interface a little to geeky for my taste, butt ugly in fact but was impressed by what did work.
Unfortunately I no longer have my acer as it died for the second time so was returned, pity as I loved it when it was working. I'm now in the market for another umpc probably a advent4211 or dell mini. Every thing else seems to expensive for the spec.

Wifi won't work. I think that has an intel wifi chip, no?

Helpful, i'm going to have them come up on the screen somewhere:
Code:
system-config-keyboard
system-config-language

The interface has changed a bit just in the last day. I still need to improve the menu a bit.

-Jeff