FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
unable to logon as user "root"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: unable to logon as user "root" Reply with quote

Somehow this does not work anymore. When I try to log on as "root" I get an error that the user name or password is wrong.

I know the password is correct, since I use it when Adding/Removing programs, and other occasions when I need it. However, it has probably been months since I actually used the computer as root.

I'm still using BLAG 70K.

Any advice? Thanks.

Mike

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that your root's default shell was reset to /bin/false or /sbin/nologin? Check for this like so:

Code:
egrep "false|login" /etc/passwd

Not sure if SELinux or Policytool might disable interactive root access somehow. Are you able to su to root at least?

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: unable to logon as user "root" Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
Somehow this does not work anymore. When I try to log on as "root" I get an error that the user name or password is wrong.

I know the password is correct, since I use it when Adding/Removing programs, and other occasions when I need it. However, it has probably been months since I actually used the computer as root.

Are you trying on the console or via ssh? Perhaps you have PermitRootLogin=No in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (or whatever it is).

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm able to SU to root. Also, just remembered that I ran "Bastille" a couple weeks ago. Wonder if this is related?

Mike

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
Yes, I'm able to SU to root. Also, just remembered that I ran "Bastille" a couple weeks ago. Wonder if this is related?

Probably, yes.

extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:

Mike

Very likely. One of the things Bastille does is lock down sshd_config, as well as some PAM settings. Check for "PermitRootLogin" being set to "No" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, or similar changes to /etc/pam.d/login for starters.

I *think* Bastille saves backups of files it modifies, but I'm not 100% certain of this.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP