FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
wireless security vs. freeeee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pistonbrew
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: wireless security vs. freeeee Reply with quote

this is driving me nuts ;-)

i bought an eee 700/4gb the other day, and freeeeeīd it more or less straight away.
i have a netgear router (dg834pn) with WEP enabled, which i could connect to when the eee was running xandros, but since installing freeeee i can only connect with the router open.
i gather there are issues with WPA, but iīve tried just about every permutation my router can do, including hiding the ESS or using MAC access control, and still canīt connect unless itīs wide open.
Wicd just says "Conectando... generando archivo de configuracion WPA..." forever, whether Iīm using WPA or not.
Tried another router too, with the same result.

Any tips? i donīt care what flavour security i use, as long as the bloody thing connects!

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i really only know of it connecting in cleartext, not with WPA or WEP. There's not much point at all in WEP anyway.

For me the "solution" to get WPA going will likely come when the realtime -rt patch comes out for 2.6.27 and I rebuild the kernel and get all the benefits of ath5k moving upstream.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/

jisis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have an old router that didn't support WPA. Toyed with the idea of using a file server as an SSL proxy, to ensure secure wireless web browsing from slappy top. However, 30 quid spent on new router won over and the thought never moved further than momentary concept.
extraspecialbitter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once freeeee (or rather wicd) supports WPA, I'll migrate my home's wireless from WEP. Right now we use it to discourage casual Starbuck's customers from stealing our "free" wireless, although I realize that an enterprising hacker could crack it.
stevo32
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about what's going over the network getting sniffed rather than preventing others from gaining access to your network, you could always use something like openvpn. Packages are available for it in the repo and it integrates well with NetworkManager, making it really easy to use.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP