BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Ok:

1) lets start calling this 29k instead of 30k. I think it will lessen confusion. Then when 30k is here, we'll know it's final.

2) apt-get dist-upgrade very dangerous right now.

3) For 9k, few people even saw an alpha. I didn't even post one on the 'net IIRC. I tested them myself ins & outs before releasing. I didn't even have the repo running until release time. For 10k, kind of the same story. For 19k, I did quite a bit of testing, then posted some alphas. I set up a repo pretty early. For 29k I set up a repo before I even made an install image. I posted an alpha before I had even tried it myself. You are getting much earlier releases of the alphas than I have posted in the past.

4) I like this releasing alphas super-early thing. I'm getting lots of good feedback for things to fix way before I have to spend hours testing them myself. Thanks to everyone who has risked their boxes. ;)

5) Please don't install these alphas on people's machines that are not techies. This will cause upgrade headaches in the end. People should still be installing 10k if they are newbies. Also, don't be handing out 19k CDs, except to other tester geeks.

6) I think 30k is going to be the best blag release yet (I still have a place in my heart for 9002 ;) . FC3 is a solid base (unlike fc2), the development process is streamlined, and we have lots more people giving good input. It shall be damn fine, IMHO.

7) I yanked out lots of things, but some will come back. Notably: mozilla & samba. Nautilus will be untouched, except for it's theme. Mozilla is back, for one, because it's got composer. I know there are some others, but composer is quite nice and I still run moz in those corner issues when FF is foo. It's kinda nice to have 2 good browsers (e.g. if FF completely borks, you can still get on the web).

8) If you see an error, /the exact error text/ is of great value. It's much easier to google exact text than a fuzzy search. Please pass it along, if you come across a bug. Don't worry about posting too much info--too little info makes it harder to fix. They're just bytes. ;)

9) Can anyone write a little GUI frontend for installing the things that are non-free, specifically flash & w32codec? Everyone wants these, but we have to explain /why/ we don't include them (in the program that adds them), but not make it impossible for newbies to figure out how to get some video they want to watch played. I'm thinking python or even a simple zenity script that yanks from dag or freshrpms.

10) I was over-zealous in yanking packages from these early alphas to see how I could pare things down. Packages will come back (e.g. mozilla), but I think we can really hit the 650 number instead of 700. But should we? We can include /tons/ more in that extra 50 megs, but this comes at the risk of possibly not installing on some old CDROMs. What is more important? Am I even correct about the 650 thing? How many drives are really out there that can't swing 700?

11) tor will be added: http://tor.eff.org/ I'm almost certain we'll be the only distro with this...

12) wiki. Slap up text on http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/ if you think someone else may find it helpful. You don't have to write the next super-polished Don Quixote. Hell, use the wiki for your own notes--someone else may be thrilled to find that tidbit of info.

All for now,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:03 pm 

Here's how I see it

1. I think you are right when you said refer to this as 29k(its a beta anyway)

2. apt-get dist-upgrade is not dangerous if you already have 29k installed

3. I was one of the few to try out 29k,so I should be proud of it.

4. newer cd-roms I seen for $15 anyway,so I don't see why we can't keep it over 650 megs.

5. stevo32 did have a good idea on a "lite" version...but that would only put back the release of 30k even more.

6. I think this release will put BLAG on the map(finally).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

demitri_88 wrote:
2. apt-get dist-upgrade is not dangerous if you already have 29k installed

Oh yes. Thanks for clarifying that. If you are running 29k you should be dist-upgrading all the freaking time to grab new rolls of RPMs.

demitri_88 wrote:
3. I was one of the few to try out 29k,so I should be proud of it.

Ye! Thanks for all the feedback too. :)

demitri_88 wrote:
5. stevo32 did have a good idea on a "lite" version...but that would only put back the release of 30k even more.

I think i missed this. Isn't blag pretty much already lite?

demitri_88 wrote:
6. I think this release will put BLAG on the map(finally).

Ahh, lack of promotion. Tis a good thing IMHO. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:15 am 
Site Admin

By a "lite" version I mean one that is 650MB and makes the changes you were planning, like lack of Mozilla/nautilus with Samba or even lacking GNOME. By "full" I mean alot more packages on the CD, although it has to be on CD's because alot of people still don't have DVD drives/can't get DVD drives (I would fall in the can't get DVD drives category). Some stuff to include on the CD's would be an absolute ton of stuff from the repo's, and also development tools. 2 CD's would be enough, and I would definitly download it and I'm pretty sure several others would too. They could share a repo, and the biggest jump would actually be finding which packages to put on them and releasing it all.

This keeps BLAG on 1 CD AND allows a ton of packages to be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

running a 20k alpha on a laptop. very happy with it. time for a multi boot with a 20k and 30k