FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
is BLAG 100% free?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sante Caserio
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: is BLAG 100% free? Reply with quote

Hi! For now, I am a gNewSense user. gNewSense is 100% free and that's why I like it.

I'm glad that I've found BLAG... as far as I can see, it seems to be a distro made from anarchists for anarchists.

Now my question is: is BLAG free? I've read that it uses the deblog-main script to drop all non-free stuff from the kernel (mainly firmware, I suppose). But what about other software? Does BLAG include non-free stuff?

I've read in the forums that Firefox is included into BLAG. I suggest that you switch to IceCat, because Firefox installs proprietary plugins by default. IceCat doesn't. I browser the web using IceCat or Epiphany. My IceCat uses Gnash to browse Flash movies, and my Epiphany uses Swfdec. Also, Mozilla has just too many money. I don't like people which gains so many money, even if they create free software. Hey, it's a suggestion! I hope this won't offend the BLAG mantainers.

Junichirô
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blag Firefox doesn't install proprietary plugins by default. and Blag is FSF approved. (http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions
I think i answered your question.

noldrin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've taken the nonfree stuff out, if any nonfree stuff is found, it's a bug. For instance I've removed all packages with the Artistic License 1.0.

I've been working on different spins of Firefox, usually we distribute our own spin, right now some difficulties getting a good spin out exist. Unfortunately IceCat doesn't release itself as Firefox + patches, it just edits the source which makes it harder to include. If there was a good source of RPMs for IceCat, that would help. I do note the current spin of Firefox is a bit buggy, although a lot of FSF objections to Firefox have been alleviated.

Feel free to suggest, right now we are rebuilding a lot of infrastructure, and will probably have to complete that before being able to do a lot of product improvement.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP