FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Free Wireless Drivers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanpatgray
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Free Wireless Drivers Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have not (yet) used Blag. I would like to install an entirely free operating system on my two laptops - both are Lenovos. One is an R61i and the other is a 3000 N100. I installed gNewsense on them at one point and I liked it except I could never seem to find free wireless drivers that worked with them. So I installed the Quasi-Free Ubuntu system and they work great. But I would love to get them working on an entirely free system. Are there free drivers that would work with BLAG?

Thanks,

Ryan

Junichirô
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that it'll the same thing on BLAG as on gNewSense.
Here is a list of wireless cards that work with free software.
http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html

ryanpatgray
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link and the info. I am sorry to hear that. I might have to make due with a quasi-free operating system on my laptop until I can get a new one. I do love the BLAG concept though.
Junichirô
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuuuuut! But the wifi of my laptop uses a non-free firmware. Next time I'll buy a new one I'll take one which I know working with all free software.
ryanpatgray
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you are saying I might be able to find compatable proprietary drivers that would work with BLAG? Such as perhaps drivers designed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux? I will take a look.

Thanks
Ryan

Junichirô
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't encourage you to do such a thing. But If you want absolutely to run blag and don't want to change your wireless card, this is a solution. Take a look on Fedora forum.
Another thing; there is a topic "non-free" on this forum to speak about these things.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP