BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:59 am 

i mean really why would they provide decently working packages if they want people to run servers on RHEL.

As a laptop user, i suspect they start giving untested, unstable packages by the time another new release is due so that people move on . At the same time it must be good enough at release time so as to get good reviews.

So i am not planning to make any further updates on my fc10 installation. Redhat wouldn't like a stable fedora to stay for long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:19 am 
Site Admin

This is pure speculation and absolute rubbish.

Quote:
i mean really why would they provide decently working packages if they want people to run servers on RHEL.

Fedora serves as a testing ground for RHEL. They want it to be reasonably stable so that RHEL will have a solid base. In addition, the sort of people using Fedora aren't the target market for RHEL. RHEL is aimed at corporations who want support contracts and guarantees that it will work with software such as Oracle's database, not those who want a free distribution with no technical support.

Quote:
As a laptop user, i suspect they start giving untested, unstable packages by the time another new release is due so that people move on . At the same time it must be good enough at release time so as to get good reviews.

Why would they want people to move on? It's not like Redhat makes any money off of Fedora users when they upgrade to a new version. Once again, Redhat isn't particularly concerned about reviews or the stability of Fedora at release but instead want users to try it out so that they have a solid base for RHEL. Over the course of the release cycle, stability improves and eventually it becomes a suitable base for RHEL.

Regarding the part about unstable and untested packages, this is simply not true, at all. I have never had any updates destabilize things late in the release cycle and Fedora releases always grow more stable the longer they have been out.

Quote:
So i am not planning to make any further updates on my fc10 installation. Redhat wouldn't like a stable fedora to stay for long.

So you're also going to not install all of the security updates they release?

Years of experience using BLAG (derived from Fedora) have proven to me and many other BLAG users that Fedora is a perfectly stable and solid system, as long as you don't install immediately after release. By 2-3 months in, a Fedora system is stable and most issues have been corrected. That's why BLAG releases typically trail Fedora ones by about that much.

Thanks,
stevo32

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:35 am 

thats fine
but if a 'perfect fedora' exists why would people say in 3rd world countries like india bother getting redhat (centos is another option, but bit old).supports are hard to get here anyway and why bother when one can hire someone else for support.

anyway if you say so confidently then i'll go ahead. but my past experience with this thing has been bad so i moved to ubuntu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:58 am 

You moved to ubuntu to have something "more stable"? Is-it a joke? When a new version of ubuntu is released (I used it in the past), the forums exploded because of the number of people asking question about this or that bug.
In September, it was the first time I used something like fedora with my first blag installation; and I didn't have a lot of question to ask.
If you think you are a tester using fedora or blag and you want absolutely move to an other distribution: move to debian!
I always have a debian installed in dual boot with my blag (with a linux-libre kernel of course and no non-free software installed); but most of the time I boot and use my blag (i386 on desktop and x86_64 on laptop).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 pm 

its not a penguin death match here. I just wanted to see if fed is really useful.
its not as condemned as it was with fc5. yum has improved a lot and fed is better to be used with command line than ubuntu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 pm 

Fedora is now developed by way too many people outside of RedHat for them to pull that off.

Fedora isn't a free alternative for The RHEL customer pool, that is CentOS.

Yes, Fedora tends to push some untested items to the community before they are tested and proven. But Fedora is bleeding edge, that is the mission of the distro.

Ubuntu??? if you want something fully tested then use Debian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm 

good to have latest features, but with fedora i cannot tell friends i have a rock solid distro which will never fail me or annoy with unpredictable acts.
the bodhi thing was never known to me before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 pm 

And do you expect a distro that has a new version of it come out 2 to 3 times a year to be rock solid? Again, try Debian minus the nonfree. Or you could try gNewSense as it is based on LTS unbuntu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:29 am 
Site Admin

Look, you either have rock-solid, ultra-stable or bleeding edge. Pick a distro or release that fits your requirements. Many people here use older releases of BLAG and some use versions that are under testing.

Post subject: for example
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 pm 

john maclean wrote:
Many people here use older releases of BLAG and some use versions that are under testing.

yes, I'm using BLAG like this
there's an interesting trhread on using old BLAG-Fedora releases in old machines, specially laptops