BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:11 am 

I've got an issue trying a net install of the x86_64 on an HP Pavillion A6355.

Following the package selection anaconda fails with a "Nothing specified to install" in line 2112 of file "/usr/lib/python2.5/site_packages/yum/_init_.py".

Previous entry on the trace back (which I can't save) was -
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/yuminstall.py", line 1191, in selectBestKernel self.ayum.install(po=kpkg)

This relates to anaconda 11.4.0.82.

Thoughts anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:31 am 

How do you select repositories? kimsufi ones?
You have to select this:
Code:
http://ks355011.kimsufi.com/blag/90000/en/os/x86_64/BLAG/

I just tried in graphical mode it and it seems to works. When selecting packages, I don't modify anything. It's very slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:36 am 

Junichirô,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have the URL. The URL is input before anaconda starts (in the text mode section of the installer) and is validated before package selection. The error occurs as you exit the package selection page; that is after you have clicked the "Next" button to exit package selection.

At the BLAG meeting last night, Weyasey suggested that the original install of Vista (which the system came supplied with) might be the problem and suggest a complete wipe of the disk using DBAN.

Overnight I ran a quick (5 hour) DBAN wipe and tried an install this morning; it failed at exactly the same point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:06 am 

The problem doesn't come from the ISO? I have to know because it's an ISO I made from a CD I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 am 

Update. I now have the system running under FC10 not BLAG (yet :-) ).
Not quite sure the issue yet but a few things stick out when dealing with one of these machines.
1) DBAN the whole disk (nuke Windoze completely)
2) If you have nothing on PATA disable it in the BIOS.
3) When re-partioning using a custom arrangement increase the mininmum size from 100Mb to 200Mb . 200Mb is the default for FC10.

I'll redo the machine in a while to nail down which of these caused the problem. My instinct is the PATA in BIOS. I suspect having it configured with nothing on it was the cause of the problem.

I would show the DBAN link but don't have enough posts :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:41 pm 

That minimum of 200Mb is for the /boot partition and would be too small for any of the other partition such as /root, but could do for the /home if you did not want to store any data on your system.

The url to download DBan is here http://www.dban.org/download
a 7 pass wipe of the hard disk drive using DBan will challenge even the C#I#A so use it carefully ;)

Post subject: DBAN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:46 pm 

A qucik note for those looking to use DBAN.
The stable version worked fine with the HP Pavillion listed above.
But I'm just preparing a Toshiba Satellite L300-1CU laptop and the stable version of DBAN keeps failing with a message "dban finished with non-fatal error".
If you get this error, try the DBAN 2.00 beta version which is optimised towards Pentium Dual Cores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:30 am 

It would be nice if someone could figure this out, because I am having the exact same problem. It gives me all the jargon you got, then it tells me it is safe to reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 pm 

dameocrat wrote
Quote:
t would be nice if someone could figure this out, because I am having the exact same problem. It gives me all the jargon you got, then it tells me it is safe to reboot

Please state exactly what is your problem and what hardware you have, if possible post some error messages too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:34 pm 

weyasey wrote:
dameocrat wrote
Quote:
t would be nice if someone could figure this out, because I am having the exact same problem. It gives me all the jargon you got, then it tells me it is safe to reboot

Please state exactly what is your problem and what hardware you have, if possible post some error messages too.

I have Compaq Presario sr2020nx with 160gb sata hardrive, an amd 64 3500+ processor, a hewlett packard 15 inch lcd display and 512gb of ram. I am currently using 40gb for ubuntu and would like to create another partition for blag. The errors went by too fast for me to catch anything. They were the same errors as the other poster reported and then it told me it was safe to reboot my harddrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:35 pm 

Which url did you use for your net install??? we also need to know what you did so we know if you made a error in the process.
The other person that post the original issue sorted the problem by making changes in the bios...changing the SATA mode to combination.
That is not mentioned as a fix because it was resolved at a blag meeting in Brixton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:24 am 

weyasey wrote:
Which url did you use for your net install??? we also need to know what you did so we know if you made a error in the process.
The other person that post the original issue sorted the problem by making changes in the bios...changing the SATA mode to combination.
That is not mentioned as a fix because it was resolved at a blag meeting in Brixton.

I went through the same process as the other person and used the kisufi url

http://ks355011.kimsufi.com/blag/90000/ ... 6_64/BLAG/

after that I got the same type of errors, whereby it told me it was safe to reboot.

I don't see any options that look like that in my bios. Could you be more specific?