BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: two kernels ???
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:22 pm 

How is this possible? As I try to mark one for removal, they both have the same consequence. I don't get it or how this even happened the only difference I see is one says
in the description, The Linux Kernel, and also, The Linux Kernel(the core of GNU/linux) I found out about this when I launched Synaptic.

P.S. - I recently install compiz/compiz fusion if that is messing it up?

Post subject: Re: two kernels ???
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 pm 

When you update via yum/synaptic and a new kernel is installed, the old one is not removed. This is deliberate. It is possible that the new kernel doesn't have a driver needed by your system or you may have compiled software specifically for the old kernel. You can install more kernels if you'd like. You can choose which one is loaded into memory at boot time. The default is set in the file /boot/grub/grub.conf .

So, there's no problem having two on your system. If everything's been working fine for a while you can safely remove the older one.

I'm guessing the two you have are called :

kernel-libre-2.6.25.10-86.fc9.1.i686

and

kernel-libre-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686

The second one (with the lower version number) is the older one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:36 pm 

You can install more recent kernel from here: http://www.fsfla.org/download/linux-libre/freed-ora/F-9/

If you run x86, first install kernel-libre-firmware and doc from noarch, then kernel-libre and kernel-libre-devel from i686 and kernel-libre-header from i386.
Take the packages from 19-jun

Post subject: Re: two kernels ???
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 pm 

Crwyddwr wrote:
When you update via yum/synaptic and a new kernel is installed, the old one is not removed. This is deliberate. It is possible that the new kernel doesn't have a driver needed by your system or you may have compiled software specifically for the old kernel. You can install more kernels if you'd like. You can choose which one is loaded into memory at boot time. The default is set in the file /boot/grub/grub.conf .

So, there's no problem having two on your system. If everything's been working fine for a while you can safely remove the older one.

I'm guessing the two you have are called :

kernel-libre-2.6.25.10-86.fc9.1.i686

and

kernel-libre-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686

The second one (with the lower version number) is the older one.

Oh, well it just was weird to me and I did not know if it was going to be an issue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:05 am 

It's weird when compared to Windows, which means that it's weird in a good way - i.e. you can choose from a variety of kernels - whether it's the distribution's default, one with bugfixes, one with extra features, the bleeding edge, etc. All of this is under your control, as it should be.