FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Nautilus won't load.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbassey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Nautilus won't load. Reply with quote

When I open my session undere my hone and click open the Tim's Home directory it hangs. I try to close it it says it is not responding. It says force quit and tries to open again and hangs. It doesn't effect root other the other user just me. If I don't use nautilus I can access data by using the application. It seem to have started when I was trying to copy over from one directory to another. I did not get the error message in time. So I can't give you the details.
tbassey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an error message:
Nautilus can't be used right now.

Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error from Bonobo when attempting to locate the factory. Killing Bonobo-activation-server and restarting Nautilus may help fix the problem.

I ran top and did not seen bonobo activation server listed or bonobo. Notheng to kill.

Crwyddwr
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this solved by logging out and back in again? If not open a terminal and run
Code:
ps -A | grep bonobo
to see if the bonobo-action-server is actually running. If it is try killing it and logging out and back in again. Let us know how it goes.
tbassey
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this response
Quote:
2378 ? 00:00:00 bonobo-activati

My I cons and such came back after I left it on for a while. The main problem is that I cannot access my home diredtory. I can look at the flash drives I have opoen or look at USR but if I try to open up one of the sub directories in /home/tim. Logging out or shutting down does not seems to change it.

Pardon my ignorance, I am not sure how to kll the process.

ineiev
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbassey wrote:
I got this response
Quote:
2378 ? 00:00:00 bonobo-activati

Pardon my ignorance, I am not sure how to kll the process.

ps -A |grep bonobo

It prints a string with the process ID number in the first position (2378 in your case; it depends on the number of process in the current session). then say "kill 2378" (without quotes; replace 2378 with the actual process ID). if it does not help, try "kill -s 9 2378". also "man ps", "man grep" and especially "man kill" may be helpful for you.

Regards,
Ineiev

tbassey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I killed the process. Nautilus is still unresponsive.When I try to close Nautilus I get file browser not responding wait/force quit. I quit and Nautilus shut down and opens up again its stuck on clock. I minimize the windows there are no icons on the screen. Something else must be going on.
Crwyddwr
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some looking around and this appears to be a known bug :
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=238227

The problem seems related to processes from an old session not terminating correctly, causing Nautilus to be unable to start. None of the suggested solutions/workarounds seem ideal, but they might be worth a try.

1. Kill the bonobo-activation-server as previously described. Check that it has been killed (run the 'ps' command again). Restart Nautilus i.e. log out and back in again or hit CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.

2. Remove/rename the following directories ~/.gnome ~/.gnome2 ~/.gconf ~/.gconfd
Restart Nautilus. Be warned that doing this will mean losing any configuration of Gnome you've done yourself and you'll have to do it again.

3. Try using a different Desktop manager e.g. XFCE, KDE

Sorry to not be more help.

tbassey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am making note of it for the future. Today after a week of trying I could run Nautilus. I have been using Nautilus for a long time and never had this problem. Still, I downloaded midnight commander just in case.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP