BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:17 pm 
I am posting this for us to brainstorm packages we want to see in the next release. Since we still need to have a discussion about the development of the next distro, I figure that this thread may be a good start in beginning to see how the distribution is going to shape up compared to its predecessors. It's better to put what we think out in the open and begin committing to what the distribution may be like than not discussing at all. As each of us is are using different distributions, I think the discussion of what goes into the default install and repository needs to be specified. I think we should focus on making sure that the licenses to any package are known before adding them to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:35 pm 
I have enjoyed the LiveCD approach since Fedora 10 and would like to see us use the same method for our future CD's, but I also know there are problems with them for some hardware as well. What do others think?

Also, for the install process, can a user choose if they want a text install too.

For applications offer on the LiveCD and installed by default, I would like to see IceCat as the default browser.

Also, integrating gnash 0.8.6 would be nice

And let me not forget the latest linux-libre kernel.

Post subject: on CD contents
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:41 am 

I think it would be nice to have a LiveCD. once I tried Dynebolic and I liked some it's features.
first, it comes ready for programs development. I see that this is my personal preference.
I need to build programs and some of my machines have no Internet connection;
for similar reason, I appreciated that it was CD, not DVD, because there are places where I can't read DVD easily.
regarding the browser, I'm OK with IceCat, though I have not very much experience with it; really I'm text-centric
and typically use lynx, as while typing these lines.
Also, I think I could contribute a LiveUSB image; I did something similar to install the latest BLAG release on my newest machine which had no disk drives at all.

Post subject: These are my wishes.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:28 am 

1. The same level of multimedia support in previous versions.
2. Firefox or clone of Firefox
3. A CPU monitor on the main panel.
4. Fast boot time and application load times.
5. BLAG has been very stable for me in the past. I hope this continues.

Thank you for reviving the best distro ever.

Post subject: Re: These are my wishes.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:08 am 

puppy wrote:
2. Firefox or clone of Firefox

Which is IceCat. I believe Firefox itself recommends non-free plugins.

puppy wrote:
5. BLAG has been very stable for me in the past. I hope this continues.

Have you ideas on how to implement any of these, or how to learn
about it?

puppy wrote:
Thank you for reviving the best distro ever.

Thank you for interest. the current state is such that probably it is you
who is one of the most interested persons, so the distro needs
you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:24 pm 

ineiev wrote:
puppy wrote:

Have you ideas on how to implement any of these, or how to learn
about it?

3. I've used conky to monitor CPU, RAM, disk usage, etc. It is light-weight, easy-to-use and highly configurable. We can come up with a basic configuration and then let users customize away.

4. I think BLAG has made good choices in the past i.e. using Abiword and Gnumeric instead of their OpenOffice equivalents. I prefer the lighter ClawsMail over Thunderbird or Evolution as another example.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:14 pm 

extraspecialbitter wrote:
4. I think BLAG has made good choices in the past i.e. using Abiword and Gnumeric instead of their OpenOffice equivalents. I prefer the lighter ClawsMail over Thunderbird or Evolution as another example.

I second, because I typically don't use such applications at all.

Post subject: Small is good.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:41 am 

I do not think that BLAG needs numerous features. If I can get on the Internet with IceCat and view some videos & PDF files then I am very happy. I would feel happy with a minimalist window manager if this would make development easier.

The non-free software causes the most headaches.

Post subject: Re: Small is good.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:55 pm 
What window manager would you recommend? Also, what are your recommendations for video viewing and PDF files.

puppy wrote:
I do not think that BLAG needs numerous features. If I can get on the Internet with IceCat and view some videos & PDF files then I am very happy. I would feel happy with a minimalist window manager if this would make development easier.

The non-free software causes the most headaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 am 

I know that my architecture didn't like the video drivers above Fedora 9, so I'm not sure whether a new BLAG would replicate this.

Also, as I use trisquel at the moment, I quite like having a bootable USB of it. I'd quite like that in a new BLAG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm 

One of the things I miss about pre-BLAGHEAD BLAG was its use of apt-get instead of yum. Granted, it's just a personal preference, but it's something I'd like to see in "BLAG - the sequel."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:49 pm 

Maybe people wanting to contribute at next Blag should have to install fedora 12 with a kernel linux-libre. So they will see what is good for them or not and alert us with the problems existing in f12.
I think they (Problems, bugs, etc.) may be reported in the development forum.

PS: Don't forget the IRC channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm 

Junichirô wrote:
Maybe people wanting to contribute at next Blag should have to install fedora 12 with a kernel linux-libre.

Yep. F12 is not half bad, except for some annoying kernel and "corrupted disk" bugs.

extraspecialbitter wrote:
One of the things I miss about pre-BLAGHEAD BLAG was its use of apt-get instead of yum.

Me too. I've learned to like yum, but apt is still my preferred way.

Also, I have always been quite GNOME-centric, but I would be happy to use something like Fluxbox or LXDE, especially since GNOME development is looking a bit cloudy. When it comes to apps I am really not that picky, but I wouldnt mind having IceCat, Grip and Claws in 120k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 pm 

I had some problems too with linux-libre (Freed-ora) and suspend/resume; I discussed about that on IRC with tearms and lxo. "nomodeset" option to the kernel in grub.conf seems to resolve it. But I don't think it's the solution for usual users.
When all updates, softs installations are finished, it seems to go better. Maybe I'll like it. If it'll be transform in blag 120K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:09 am 

Apps? Hmm. I've grown to quite like Asunder as a cd ripper/encoder. Small, and simple.

Thoggen still stands as a great free dvd ripper/encoder, ripping to the free ogg-therora format.

GNU/Icecat works nicely as a browser.

Gthumb is always excellent for handling images, and doing a spot of simple editing.

Miro is of course, excellent, and empowering, allowing access to a great range of free content and news.

Listen or Rhythmbox as a music player/manager. Both do a great job, are simple to use, and have plenty of configurability if needed. My prefernce is Rhythmbox tho personally.

Mplayer is of course a great media player, with excellent built-in support for multiple formats./ Totem is pretty good as a general media player.

Xchat-gnome is of course essential for those wanting to keep in touch on IRC.

Abiword and Gnumeric are great and powerful tools, a word-processor and spreadsheet tool respectively, with plenty of options and compatability, but without the bloat of other suites.

GIMP is still a great graphics editor, etc.

Seriously tho, anyone who objects to having Frozen-Bubble in things needs their head read. :P

GPRename is an excelent bulk-renamer, handling files, and directories, with ease.

Devede for making playable dvds out of video files.

Easytag for manipulating the tags of, and renaming audio files.

Of the email clients, I'm only really a user of Evolution and Thunderbird, so I don't have anything else to add.

I'm also fond of gPodder, an excellent podcast catcher, and handler.

Audacity for the obvious editing and manipulation of audio files.

Tracker-search-tool has become a necessity to keep track of all our "stuff".

Also, don't forget to include something like Gnome-pp for those still stuck on dial-up. There are still quite a lot of people unable to get broadband for a number of reasons.

This is all that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure i'll thin of more, but I see many of these as being an excellent base, and giving us a working, usable desktop experience, able to do most things right away.

Cheers.