BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:56 pm 

patrickm wrote:
...I have informed DistroWatch of the efforts we are making right now.

And we're back on the DistroWatch site. The list of distros (top left of the main screen) does list BLAG again and on the info page we are listed as active. They also included the Alpha's specifications.

Futhermore, I have also posted a small announcement on Linux Forums. Not only will people see we are on our way back again, it also might interest people to join our development efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 pm 

Heh heh ... we're also part of the news on DistroWatch ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:57 pm 

Excellent news. With things no longer being listed as Inactive, and Distrowatch bringing Blag back into the public view, perhaps we may attract more people with an interest in using Free Software, and better, people with additional skills who may be able to contribute toward the process. I myself am an advocate and user of Free Software, but am unsure of what I can offer otherwise to the group. And my current real life dramas keep de-railing my plans to try and find more time to commit here, which in turn makes me feel lousy. :(

*sigh* Anyway, with a good working base, a proto-release, and the project put back in the public spotlight again, I feel things will surely move forward, and hope we can pull it together again. :)

I really need to wind up some of my other commitments so I can find more time to focus here. This is something that NEEDS doing, BLAG was always a shining light, and cannot be allowed to remain dimmed. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 am 

veganix wrote:
Running 119k in virtualbox now, and am about to install 64-bit to disk. The installer worked perfectly in vbox (and most of it even in in Norwegian), and the system seems very stable. Very nice work!

So far, I have only encountered one bug: When running "apt-get update" I got
Code:
E: Unable to determine version for package fedora-release

To fix it, I had to make a change to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/fedora.conf. The section:
Code:
APT
{
   // Options for apt-get
  DistroVerPkg "fedora-release";
};

was changed to:
Code:
APT
{
   // Options for apt-get
  DistroVerPkg "system-release";
};

After that "apt-get update" worked fine.

robert

I had same issue, I did your correction, and it works fine. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Towards an Alpha iso
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:23 am 

tearms wrote:
I created a 693MB generic iso that I think would be a good candidate for our Alpha release. I have posted the package contents of that iso on pastebin..

Yes I am writing this entry using your release, seems to work fine, I need Ralink to enable my wireless, I commented in other section, that I liked the original Industrial look icons that previous Blag releases featured, I will certainly continue testing. Looks promising.

Post subject: Re: Towards an Alpha iso
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:56 am 
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are all working on bringing back those older icons and adding to the older themes.

ScorpTig wrote:
tearms wrote:
I created a 693MB generic iso that I think would be a good candidate for our Alpha release. I have posted the package contents of that iso on pastebin..

Yes I am writing this entry using your release, seems to work fine, I need Ralink to enable my wireless, I commented in other section, that I liked the original Industrial look icons that previous Blag releases featured, I will certainly continue testing. Looks promising.

Post subject: Last Week's IRC Chat
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:50 am 
Good Day All,

Thank you for everyone who has been contributing feedback. Last weekend there was a great conversation on IRC about the Alpha ISO and I begin making some changes on some other live CD's I am testing. One important thing that was discussed was video editing. First, I must ask, are people editing video? What applications are you using to edit with, where are you publishing your content, specifically on the web and are you using ogg video or another video container(codec). What Free Software are you using and how usable is it for everyday users. Fedora, comes with a few. Notably kino and pitivi. I was considering adding it to the CD. Combined they both use about 5.8MB of space. kelsoo also recommended openmoveeditor. I'll be trying it out and playing around with it myself.

Also, speaking of kelsoo. He has added some contributions to blag+artist page. There are some really great images I think people should see and comment on, so please register, sign-in, take a look at his submissions and leave your feedback. Don't forget to add your own submissions too.

Moving forward, I would like to urge each of you here on the forum, to come onto the IRC Channel this Saturday and meet other BLAG users, contributors, developers and individuals who have been providing feedback. While, I wish I could say that there would be pizza, wings and beer, there always seems to be good conversations happening not only about development, but politics, food, life and things that each of finds important. The great thing is you can bring your own food, which is great and share your perspectives about development and other worldly issues affecting all of us. This weekend, I will be unable to be part of those conversations, but there are at least several individuals that are always there.

Last week, as you can see patrickm, revived our status on distrowatch as well, so we are not dormant any more(applaud). In thinking about this new status, I hope that more individuals become interested in using BLAG, but for those of you who have been here for sometime, I want you to take a more active role in playing the role that you see yourself playing. This is what the committees are for and I have made suggestions for those of you who I think would sit well on different committees. So patrickm, has become responsible for promotions, veganix has become responsible for blag+art and I have taken a role as developer. This does not mean that we do not still need contributions in these areas, it just puts a face to someone who is taking a keen interest in helping develop that component of blag, but it also means that this individual is helping build themselves by placing themselves in a position in which they feel they can make an impact and unique contribution. So, I still need help with development. Not only in building packages, iso's and the repo(to name a few), but patrickm and veganix also need your help too. Most of all, the committee's serve the purpose to strengthen an area where I think there is a lack of development or under development that needs to be addressed, so please do not hesitate to volunteer. In addition to trying livecd-creator and editing kickstart files to create the iso for the first time, I have been playing around with MediaWiki because I want to learn more about building our wiki, reading about Drupal for the website, trying to build Koji to help make it easier for us to build packages and just learning much more than I expected to learn before. But it did not all happen in a day. I spend the time and energy to learn these things because they are important to building BLAG, but, I just have a general interest in learning about technology. That process though has not been without countless hours on the forum, IRC and e-mail getting people's ideas, opinions suggestions and perspectives on how to do things. I do not take failure lightly and I do not give up very easily until the itch that I have been scratching goes away. But that's a whole other story.

In any case, I want to point out that we are here to have fun in developing BLAG. It does require time and energy, but bring the best of yourself here In contributing and do not feel under pressure to feel that you are not contributing enough. This forum is a great example of the culmination of that work that has helped to support BLAG and I think each individual has contributed a significant amount in all areas. Everything I've come to love about GNU/Linux is from seeing people come together as a community by their own right and without reservation share a part of themselves that is unique in helping others who they are directly and indirectly bringing something better in which others can benefit.

With that said. I'll end this post here. [/url]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:42 am 
Last week after our meeting on IRC, I begin focusing on building Koji. What is koji you ask?

Koji, is the package build system that the Fedora Project uses to convert upstream source archives to RPM packages with the help of spec files.

For the 120k release it is my goal to use Koji to help simplify package building. Upon our discussion last week on IRC, we were discussing Buddhism and junichiro(zenblagger) mentioned Satori. Please see the link for the definition. Thus, I think for BLAG, we will use the name Satori for our package build system. The important thing is that presently we do not have a repo set up and for the Beta release, I plan to have a repo. At the present, it may be easier to mirror a Fedora repo, but we will need to build our own packages for a variety of reasons. Firstly, to identify that they were built by us and so that we can maintain them. Secondly, Fedora does not have every package that will BLAG use. Hence, linux-libre kernel, IceCat, as mentioned in the last post openmovieeditor, but there are tons of packages not available in Fedora that I think would be great additions to BLAG. Third, not all Fedora packages comply with the Guidelines for Free Software Distributions, hence, we do not need all those packages because we are not trying to be another Fedora based distribution.

I think that point needs to be made and I would like to clarify that BLAG is not a Fedora spin, a remastered version of Fedora and our community differs a whole lot from Fedora. So, there will be no compromises on including non-free packages, firmware or other elements that recommend non-free software. The purpose of having a 100% Free GNU/Linux distribution is to ensure that people have 100% freedom. That was the legacy that jebba left for us and I think it's not only honorable, but realistic. And it is not a static moment in time. There are individuals throughout the world still fighting for some essential freedoms that many of us have. In our own lives we may be fighting to ensure that we have the freedoms that those before us fought for, so that we could live better today. It is through their struggle and courage we must remain steadfast about what we are doing here today, in our lifetime and those who will look back to remember our good fight. Everyday is not always easy, but as we start each day it is a new beginning that gives us a fresh outlook on what we are doing and where we are going.

in digression from koji, as discussed in Release name for future BLAG releases, Spartacus was the favored name for many. I think the underlying theme in developing this release for me has been overcoming struggle. Struggle in organizing, communication, working together, getting contributions, building the iso, building the repo, etc.,. There were/are some hardships, but we are here are still here and I think that says a lot about the human spirit and condition. However difficult things become, the mind and heart find unique ways of overcoming some hardships that seem unbearable. In thinking about this, I briefly mentioned a theme that could go with the next release as Software Freedom is not easy. I think for many of us using Free Software is first nature, but it may not always have been easy and now that we've mastered the philosophy and have put it into practice the question becomes, How do we begin informing others about its philosophy, benefits and use.? That concludes my digression.

In February and March, weyasey and I focused on building Koji. As I stated before, we need your help. The current instance of koji is running on tearms. I'll be working more on it this week to try to add some packages, but the reason I thought Koji would be good for BLAG was.

Solid framework to build and maintain packages
Ability to build iso's from the packages built
Assist in setting up a repository for packages

With Bodhi, the package update system, it would help provide a fluid process in creating releases for the present and future.

So where are we? Importing packages into Koji, hopefully giving us the ability to do the above. This is my first public update on koji, so for those of you who have any experience with koji, postgresql, apache, your help would be invaluable. What's the alternative. stevo32, recommended building each package and setting up our own repo the traditional way that jebba did his repo's. In both cases, it's going to require man hours, patience and working together to make it happen. As always, I'm open to suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Last Week's IRC Chat
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:49 am 

tearms wrote:
In any case, I want to point out that we are here to have fun in developing BLAG. It does require time and energy, but bring the best of yourself here In contributing and do not feel under pressure to feel that you are not contributing enough.

I think that tearms put it nicely. We strive to create a new and dazzling distro based on the principles of free software. And the keyword here is "we". It's a team effort. And new people are always welcome. Just by being there and venting ideas, you help. Just by testing the live alpha/beta/etc. on your system, you help. By talking about BLAG, you help. All efforts are useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 am 

patrickm wrote:
patrickm wrote:
And we're back on the DistroWatch site.

And we're already in the top100 again with 82 hpd.. Yay

To all concerned about Evolution / Exchange-support, here are a few lines from a F13 review at http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7765/1.html

Quote:
While some of these include updates to the latest version of GNOME or KDE, others are much more bleeding edge. Some of these include snapshot support for btrfs (which comes as a file system option) and Zarafa, a free software replacement for Microsoft Exchange which sits on top of existing mail systems, such as Postfix. It has lots of extra goodies including an advanced web interface and synchronization support for mobile devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:41 pm 

i'm gonna give the iso a try. i used blag from 30-90k, although i'm no developer i'm looking forward to blagging the old laptop again.

really great to see some activity here again, i love blag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:12 am 

Saint of Killers wrote:
Just perused the vids and shots on your link. Looks good mate, appreciate all the work being done. :)

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:13 am 

pistonbrew wrote:
i'm gonna give the iso a try. i used blag from 30-90k, although i'm no developer i'm looking forward to blagging the old laptop again.

really great to see some activity here again, i love blag.

I also think so.