BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:39 pm 

Recently shown on the BBC I wondered what Blaggers made of this? I have to say that personally I despised his companies business practices. The BBC seems to want to back him but perhaps knows that soon he will be the forgotten man.

We could all be philanphropists after screwing everyone first. A bit like paying for a prostitute.

Cheers,
Blarney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 am 
Site Admin

There is no doubting he helped change the face of computing but what forced Free Software to begin with? As a man I wish the guy the best of health for him and his family as I would any fellow man but that is where it ends. Whether or not it is the man Bill Gates or the company Microsoft their businesses practices leave a lot to be desired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:24 am 

Bill Gates really turned software into a consumer commodity. It was many other who thought of new things for the computer to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 pm 

Bill Gates was a successful entrepreneur. He was also very successful in business, which deals in money, somehow.

His degree of success is what separates him from Apple, Commodore, GM, et al.

b-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:48 pm 

Apple was hugely successful in that they were able to build a business without outside investment. They were able to markets that did not exist before. They changed the relationship people have with computer.

Microsoft was better because they were able to think and play at a Macro business level, and between that and getting really lucky several times, took over the personal computer industry that than took over the computer industry. They were also completely willing to whore themselves out to big business when trying to play in their league, something that much the rest of the industry, who had some hippy ideals at the time, refused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:55 am 

Despite all the philanthropy, I'll never be able to forgive him for making one of the worst operating systems ever entirely ubiquitous (My guess would be that subtly different proprietary unixes would be the standard, which I would trade for any day). I doubt that there would be a computer on every desk without him, but we really don't need Grandma or B1FF with anonymous, public speech.

Besides Windows, Microsoft just has entirely too much money. Some poor hacker is learning C# or VB right now just because MS wants to kill all portability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:38 pm 

Bill Gates changed the world. This genius revolutionized our lives. Microsoft changed the way we communicate, the way we do business and the ways we entertain ourselves.

Post subject: The Great Bill Gates
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 am 

I surely honor Bill Gates. He simply proves that geeks are not weird; in fact, they are genii who would carve names in history in the future. Thanks to Bill Gates Microsoft, it had opened a new arena of innovation on computers. It totally changed the world, by opening a new world ( the whole world even) for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:24 pm 

Bill Gates is a great person. He has faith in technological advances to heal the pain of world poverty. I had hear so many interview of him and his humanitarian aid actions. But I believe that the long-term answer really lies in shifting human consciousness, and on the capitalist front, broadly affecting behavior at the corporate level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:43 pm 

Very funny to see people register there jut to post just one post to speak about Gates genius! Maybe you can do that on microsoft forum? Or windoz mailing lists?
Did you try a GNU/Linux distribution? Do you come there because you want to install blag? Do you want help to run blag? Or are just stupid guys paid by Big Brother?
Maybe you just wait to post spams?
Gates is just a business man who receive money from almost every computer we buy; because it is almost impossible to buy a PC without windows.
And worst he plays the philanthropist with money he took from us! And from the governments he bought for using windows in the civil services!
So now stop your propaganda!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:56 pm 

Junichirô wrote:
Very funny to see people register there jut to post just one post to speak about Gates genius!

There seem to be quite a few of these "one and done" posts lately. I'm wondering if they're all coming from the same IP address but with different account names to try to give the impression that they're all real people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:13 pm 

extraspecialbitter wrote:
Junichirô wrote:
Very funny to see people register there jut to post just one post to speak about Gates genius!

There seem to be quite a few of these "one and done" posts lately. I'm wondering if they're all coming from the same IP address but with different account names to try to give the impression that they're all real people.

wow.. the trolls are in a new season!

i'm wondering if this trolls are part of the "Military's 'sock puppet' " announced by Obama's administration to "influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... l-networks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:27 pm 

Yea, Bill Gates was an entrepreneur, but in the beginning he was almost a conman, when he bluffed IBM into believing that he had an operating system. Only afterwards did he go and buy a program which he called DOS.

I don't mind paying for something what it's worth. In those days he charged $500 for DOS 1.1 - ridiculous. I think Windows is still overcharged. Especially in the poorer countries, it's a hefty price to pay.

When a program has a reasonable price, I don't mind paying for it. Otherwise I search for free ones like Open Office and Linux. Other people may be tempted to find pirate copies, which I don't endorse.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:53 pm 

elcama wrote:
Yea, Bill Gates was an entrepreneur, but in the beginning he was almost a conman, when he bluffed IBM into believing that he had an operating system. Only afterwards did he go and buy a program which he called DOS.

I don't mind paying for something what it's worth. In those days he charged $500 for DOS 1.1 - ridiculous. I think Windows is still overcharged. Especially in the poorer countries, it's a hefty price to pay.

Blarney: "I have to say that personally I despised his company's business practices."

Almost! Why don't you just say it outright: he WAS/IS a conman. Just ask Paul Allen, his former business partner. Better yet, read Allen's book Idea Man just recently published. He goes into detail about BG and his questionable business practices.

BG and Microsoft have been in cahoots from the get-go with the government who wanted a back door into his OS (which he gladly gave them) in order to be able to infiltrate any computer. In return, the gov't bought his OS for their computers, helping to rank it as a mass media product.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:35 pm 

princesssakura wrote:
Bill Gates changed the world. This genius revolutionized our lives. Microsoft changed the way we communicate, the way we do business and the ways we entertain ourselves.

I have been using computers since 1987 - before a version of MS-Dos was released and became the standard operating software. I have tried Mac-OS and OS2. I even tried some Linux programs and when it all comes down to what is best, I'd have to say.. it depends. Dos and Windows have been designed for the masses and has definetely been one of the major reasons why computers are so widespread today - making huge amounts of money that is now being given away by Microsoft??. So in that regard mr. Gates has earned the right to call himself a genius. Buy so has Steve Jobs and Linus Rylander and all the other visionaries. They made what they thought was the best system, and I concur, that for some things Apple is clearly better, and for specific tasks - like webserver - linux is preferrable. So if Bill is a genius, we should also give credits to all the other geniuses out there.