3072MB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4096MB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

bla
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: What are you doing with your memory? Reply with quote

Good Day All!

Just curious to know how much memory people are running BLAG or another GNU/Linux distro on after a discussion on IRC about applications (i.e Firefox, VLC)that are resource hungry. Also, are you more inclined to upgrade your memory or system or find a lighter environment or application that provides the same functionality. Share your experiences

patrickm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that one should have at least 1GB of ram (makes graphical apps like GNOME work flawless). But my preference would be 3GB (just to have something more than I actually need right now).
Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

512 would be a good baseline. Pretty sure I had Blag 90000 installed on a 500Mhz box with 384MB of ram at one point, used by housemate for basic writing (abiword), browsing (firefox), movies and dvds (totem/mplayer). Seemed to do the job. :)
little tikes
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i use 3 Gb memory capacity for ram and i found it really helps me in doing all my compy stuffs. in case, i have problem in all my saving data, i also use flash disk to copy all my saving data. this way can help me a lot to not feel worry of losing my data.
Brent00
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What are you doing with your memory? Reply with quote

tearms wrote:

Just curious to know how much memory people are running BLAG or another GNU/Linux distro on after a discussion on IRC about applications (i.e Firefox, VLC) that are resource hungry.

Also, are you more inclined to upgrade your memory or system or find a lighter environment or application that provides the same functionality.

I've had problems with Firefox and its "resource hungry" ways. I ended up having to downgrade the version to regain functionality so the browser wouldn't keep crashing all the time. I've got 2 Gigs of RAM on my system, but apparently that isn't enough for Firefox to function properly. Really a disappointment.

Junichirô
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, blag uses icecat 4 and second I use it now on an old dell inspiron 1501 with 1Gb memory without any crash or problem.
A good thing is to use blag before coming to give us your opinion.

vx
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: What are you doing with your memory? Reply with quote

with my P4 - 1GB Ram @2.66 GHz, I prefer to use Gnome+Openbox or even better just Openbox to enjoy Blag.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP