FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
gnome-terminal slow...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matti
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: gnome-terminal slow... Reply with quote

I just installed 29k. Now I have problems with speed. Gnome-terminal starts extremely slow and when I start gnome, the splash screen is on for about one minute. Other applications seem to start at normal speed.
jebba
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you run `top` to see what is taking most CPU? I haven't seen this.

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is gnome-terminal that is the problem, rxvt is a great terminal that is VERY FAST. :)

Dag has it, if you want it.

10K:
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/fedora/1/en/i386/dag/RPMS/rxvt-2.7.10-1.1.fc1.dag.i386.rpm
20K:
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/fedora/2/en/i386/dag/RPMS/rxvt-2.7.10-1.1.fc2.dag.i386.rpm
30K:
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/dag/fedora/3/en/i386/dag/RPMS/rxvt-2.7.10-1.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like something else is going on though, than just gnome-terminal being slow. That sounds more like a symptom, ya know? rxvt is much faster though :)
stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know that. That's why i said "If it is gnome-terminal that is the problem"...

Anyways, yeah, i'm still definitly agreeing with you that its something running in the background/a very slow computer that is the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if it was a new install, it could be that something like slocate or the prelinker was running. These normally run at 4am or so, but run soon after booting up on a new install. In other words, the problem may just disappear.
matti
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran top and it seemed normal. Here all that were taking any cpu.
Code:

4162 root      15   0 84628  21m 5664 S  4.7  8.6   0:18.44 X
 4622 matti     15   0 37848  13m 9016 S  3.7  5.3   0:02.21 gnome-terminal
 4565 matti     15   0  104m  29m  16m S  1.3 11.6   0:31.44 firefox-bin
 4513 matti     16   0 29248  16m 9.8m S  0.3  6.5   0:01.39 gnome-panel

I installed rxvt and it runs fine. I also ran hdparm:
Code:

[root@7 matti]# /sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  162 MB in  3.04 seconds =  53.30 MB/sec

I also installed kde-packages to try konsole and it is even slower than gnome-terminal. It's interesting that applications like firefox or synaptic start in a second but gnome-terminal takes a lot longer. How can that be? Is it possible that some program that both gnome-terminal and konsole use is broken or buggy?

matti
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a new install. So you could be right that some programs are running. I think that this is unlikely though because my computer has been open for several hours now.
matti
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is with gnome. I started xfce instead of gnome and gnome-terminal works just fine. I'm using xfce until this problem is solved.
matti
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered that some time ago I upgraded blag 19k to fc3 and it worked just fine. I never had any problems with 19k. I decided to do that again but instead of fc3 I would use 29k. I installed 19k and am now using it. I now have the same problem that I had with 29k. Gnome doesn't work properly.

Do you have any ideas on how to figure out what is broken? It could be my hardware. Or is there a possibility that this happens because of BIOS settings. I think I haven't touched them other than changing the primary boot device when installing new operating systems. Also, it is odd that xfce and kde seem to work just fine.

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. ya, definitely sounds gnome related...

Try creating a new user and see if its related to your setup, somehow...

matti
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a new user didn't help...

I installed 29k again and I still have the same problem. I changed blag to start at runlevel 3 so that it would start a little faster because I realized that gdm is also slow. It takes a lot longer to start kde or xfce from runlevel 3 than from runlevel 5.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reliability Reply with quote

Quote:
ok. ya, definitely sounds gnome related...

Does it work all the time for you?:?

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP