BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:30 am 

Hello!, I am new to Blag 140k i686 and just installed it in sdb with default options, using the entire disk, with grub in the same disk.
I have antiX13.1 in sda, which uses grub legacy. When I did my first reboot after I finished Blag 140k installation, I obtained the antiX boot menu and no new entry for Blag 140k. I did update-grub in antiX but grub legacy did not discover Blag. So, I will have to add manually a boot stanza for grub legacy in antiX to get the Blag 140k entry.
Can someone provide me with a typical boot stanza in the format of grub legacy in order to obtain an entry to boot Blag 140k? Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:02 pm 

Hello and welcome here!
BLAG is a bit dormant at the moment, and 140k is VERY old - to stay safe and receive security updates, i'd recommend running a libre fedora 18 or 19 instead.
Installing a libre kernel on fedora is described here:
http://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/freed-ora.en.html
And if you like, you can make it a bit more BLAG with some nice icons:
https://we.riseup.net/blag+artist/really-little-guys-icon-set-updated-for+107052

For GRUB, i guess something like this could work:
Code:
title BLAG 140k
root (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

...assuming sda is hd0 and sdb is hd1.
Happy testing!:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 am 

veganix, thank you for your orientation. I didn't know that Blag is a bit dormant. I tell you, Blag Live performed excellent in my legacy hardware. Everything worked perfect without any manual configurations. That was the reason because I decided to install it in my second Hard Drive. Anyway, I will consider to use libre fedora 19, but still I will have to learn how solve the boot issue.

I tried:

Title Blag
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

But I had "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format".

I also tried:

Title Blag
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
savedefault
boot

But the new error was that " /boot/grub/core.img" doesn't exist

And after that I also tried:

Title Blag
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
savedefault
boot

And again I obtained te error that " /boot/grub/menu.lst" doesn't exist

Then, using gparted I found the following information about files in sdb:

(1) Boot partition:
Partition: /dev/sdb1/
File type:: ext4
Mount point: /media/sdb1
Options: boot

(2) The rest of the disk:
Partition: /dev/sdb2
File type: lvm2 pv
Mount point: VolGroup
Options: lvm

I have no previous experience with "lvm2 pv files".

If things get too complicated, I will then consider substituting Blag 140k by another Linux. BTW, I chose Blag 140k since I thought it was the latest available 32-bit ISO. Maybe I overlooked the Web Site and didn't pick the latest Blag ISO for 32-bit.

Any hint on how to proceed with the boot issue?. Thank you, once again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:33 pm 

Is os-prober installed in Blag 140k?

In addition, can I reinstall Blag's grub to the root partition of the Blag install?

The problem that I have is that I can't access my Blag installation in in sdb at boot. And Blag's root partition in lvm2 pv file type can not be seen from my antiX system in sda, which has ext4 format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

Hi again!
Dont't think os-prober was in 140k by default, and i've unfortunately no hands-on experience with lvm's.
BLAG 140k is the last official release, but we also had an alpha version of 160k around that worked quite well.

You could try fixing GRUB (and possibly re-format the root partition) from the 140k Live-CD. There are some hints on how to do it here:http://danleff.net/myarticles/fedorainstall/linuxinstallharddrives5.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 pm 

veganix, thank you for your indications. I will do a search to find Blag 160k. As I mentioned before, Blag 140k Live performed very well in my legacy hardware (AMD Sempron 1200 MHz, 1 GB DDR 400 MHz RAM).

From what you said I conclude that Blag installation can be done not using lvm. What happened to me is that I during installation I opted to let the system to do the installation on the entire second hard drive (sdb) and I ended with the ext4 partition for the boot and Blag system in the rest of the disk with the lvm environment, that I haven't used before.

By now I uninstalled Blag 140k and substituted it with Aptosid 2013-1 Hesperides KDE Lite, which has a dual boot with antiX 13.1.x. My main difficulty was that I couldn't figure out how to manage grub in order to obtain the double boot with antiX, specially since I couldn't access Blag's root partition which was in the lvm environment.

I reviewed the process of constructing a 100% free Fedora from the Web site indicated in this Forum, but at first sight it seems kind of complicated, at least to me. I have to read it again in order to process it.

Anyway, I might try again with Blag 160k if I can't make the 100% free Fedora 19. I will review the link that you suggested to learn from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:40 am 

The 160k isos can be found here:ftp://blag.fsf.org/160000/en/iso/
They are however based on fedora 16 - which has also reached end-of-life, and no longer receives security updates.

Installing a libre kernel in fedora is quite straightforward if you follow the FSFLA suggestions. Removing all non-free (mainly firmware) and installing the freed-ora-freedom package takes a little more tinkering, but is also doable - and you can always ask here or on irc (irc.indymedia.org - #blag) if you run into trouble:)

Last edited by veganix on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 am 

veganix, thank you again for your indications. I will start downloading Bag 160k and after will study the FSFLA suggestions.