BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BLAG Development
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 pm 

Good Weekend All,

Thursday's IRC meeting went well. Thank you for all those who attended. For those who did not have an opportunity, join us for upcoming meetings in April where we will be discussing development further. I wanted to open this thread before we start talking about development for the next release and discuss prioritizing for the future.

With each of the last three releases of blag, we should have been in a better position to ensure that we moved into a cycle of consistently releasing. As a result, we loss our endorsement as one of the Free GNU/Linux distros.It is always nice to start fresh and this time around, we will be work collectively to ensure that we have infrastructure for the development of the OS.

Our community consist of not just a distribution, but our site, wiki, bug tracking and mailing list. They are working, but we need help maintaining them in the present and future. Since, the site and forums see the most activity, how can we better use them for discussion. In regards to the mailing list, I plan to move back to the original format of the blag-announce, blag-devel and blag-users mailing list, but have also been considering whether setting up an instance of Statusnet 1.1.1(not pump.io), for the community to discuss with each other and also different teams working together as a means to share what is happening in the community as well as share what is happening in the world each us live in.

Please add your suggestions here for what areas of development, you want to see us move in for the future.

Last edited by tearms on Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: blag development
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:36 pm 

Thanks Tearms ;-)

The major concern today is privacy and having some form of online protection against ISP data retention,NSA & government spying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommu ... pean_Union

Could Tor,IP2,bit-message (or any other equivalent that respects Gnu/Gpl license) be included?

Selinux also raises certain issues/questions -enabled or disabled by default?

Post subject: Re: blag development
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 am 

selinux was disabled by default in early versions of blag and has always remained that that way. tor is typically included in the repos.

both selinux and tor have connections to the NSA and there has not been any active discussion about its exclusion. we need to visit that discussion.

I use the torbrowser bundle, but configuring tor for your system involves awareness about how packages on your system (e.g bittorrent, gtk-gnutella)may contradict the purpose you are using it for. reading the documentation is a good place for anyone to start.

In the case of the site, wiki and forums, maybe we can have that discussion as well.

The links below are for historical references to early conversations and concerns.

http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopi ... ht=selinux
https://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Selinux
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora- ... 01901.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:27 pm 

Thank you Tearms for your valuable insights ;-)

Am actually disabling Selinux which is by default in Freed-ora & GdNewHat.My point of view is from a real beginner ( i bought my 1st PC only 11months ago ..i have been a manual worker most of my life so configuration rpms or packages ect..is something really not natural for me may it never will be!:)

I'm very happy with the fact that Blag is "finally"having some perspective for the future.

The wiki is over-saturated with spam(Junichirô did mention that too ie having no Anti-spam on it and the astronomic quantity of it as well ) by example
Quote:

Find Cheap Price Corvette Mild2wild Dual Mode Exhaust Remote Control
3 KB (578 words) - 13:03, 19 December 2012
This mobile comes with a dual SIM a success in the market even though it is fairly new to the market. nokia asha 200 features that Easy MP3 eAAC audio formats. This is also a dual SIM capable phone that targets people who sell like hotcakes for sure
3 KB (405 words) - 14:12, 5 February 2013
Clenbuterol: A Drug Which Produces Dual Effects On Body
3 KB (486 words) - 08:31, 16 February 2013
The Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Dual Flush Toilet
3 KB (542 words) - 06:48, 28 February 2013

Random page search give's same sort of result.

Registered users some 59,673 looks mostly like spam.

I don't mind doing some ""cleaning up"to start with;-)

https://blag.wiki.aktivix.org/index.php ... urnto=User:
displays one's IP or demands cookies enabled (i guess it's the actual spam protection)
I would need some form of access to suppress those undesired spam.

Best Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:59 pm 

It's been a long time between the release of a Blag OS never the less some of us never gave up that there will be another Blag release.
Blag is like fine wine it takes time to produce and the longer it takes the better the result and I know this next Blag will fulfill everyone expectations, at this present time we are few but we are determined.

I give thanks for Tearms his effort and energy has inspired us all and I and all other Blaggers will be forver saying a big thank you to Tearms.

Heres' looking to a next 12 years, Long Live Blag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:54 am 

Great to see Blag getting ready for a new release!
I was here in the past and hope to be here back again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:25 pm 

It was great working with you and discussing ideas for marketing BLAG. I'd love to discuss again with you any ideas since 2010.

patrickm wrote:
Great to see Blag getting ready for a new release!
I was here in the past and hope to be here back again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:33 am 

tearms wrote:
It was great working with you and discussing ideas for marketing BLAG. I'd love to discuss again with you any ideas since 2010.

Sure ... where do I pick up?

Downloading the 20k alpha right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:49 pm 

patrickm,

I looked over the task from the communicators group on riseup and updated the task for BLAG 200000. I reference those tasks occasionally for a sense of closure and we've re-accomplished some of them already. We can keep the discussion here and on the mailing list.

I'd like to discuss how we promote:

user freedom using the GNU Definition. Fedora has there Freedom, Friends, Community and First and I'd like to see us use push: run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve

market BLAG to build our presence

work towards activism tying in global issues that foster engagement and discussion about matters that affect us all.

In respect to marketing BLAG, I wanted to consider if there are specific meme's within the Free Software community and develop a creative campaign to using them for people to discover our community. The etymology cited by wiktionary invites the potential to using these meme's to make people laugh. I'd like to see a meme based that illustrates blag as a verb, noun and adjective. In some cases using the term blag in respect to the GNU definitions could result in good use of humor and satire.

In respect to promoting the GNU Definition, I see highlighting as many examples using screencasts, good documentation and marketing as the best way to show people what they can do with Free Software. The e-mail that I sent out yesterday regarding highlighting web applications under the GNU Affero, was meant to highlight services online that respect people's freedom, which I believe complement software that may not be visibly present in the distribution for those who use web-based services. I expect this to mostly done through the blag-bookmarks.

In terms of activism, for this release, I plan to focus on political prisoners and I'd like to bring awareness about those who have been unjustly incarcerated. Bringing attention to their stories is the primary method that I had hope to address, complemented with bookmarks to organizations that people can become involved with by getting more information and reaching out. I opened a thread under politics to get more feedback.

These are just some ideas I had, but let me know what you can work on and we can develop a plan from there.

Last edited by tearms on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:48 am 

My opinion about free software has not changed over the years, they even got stronger. But I did come to realise that idealism alone is not going to change people. Sorry, but it isn't. I really really believe that to make a difference, you need to be able to present something solid. Since there are so many other distros to choose from, you can not win the war by advocating only ideals and principles.

Of course there will be people who will go for BLAG simply because of the historical/current believes behind it. But that will not be enough to attract new people (who do not know all about freedom and having a system that is truely free/libre).

Tearms, I found my way back to BLAG on Riseup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:40 am 

Freedom also means security here. As long as code is open source, there is a slightly better chance that there is no malware included. I am quite sure that good ol' NSA doesn't want us to know how they implement a backdoor.

Post subject: Refresh the page
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm 

Good Day All!

To complement the next release, I'm calling on suggestions for a re-design of blagblagblag.org. The home page has remained the same since I first arrived here in 2008 and with all the free software available at our disposal for web development, I'm looking to see us build upon the current design or come up with something that incorporates creativity for a new amazing design.

A few weeks ago, I discussed this on IRC with weyasey and junichiro. They suggested it be kept:

Simple to find what is needed
Implement good navigation
Be free of flash and java

As the site currently validates with HTML 4.01, I would like to move towards validating with HTML 5 and CSS to distinguish between markup and design.

The process for submission just requires you provide a link for your design. Evaluation can take place individually and we can vote on the next design formally at the beginning of August.

Lastly, the overall design can be in your own image. I've done several mockups which where I created a community category that sub-links to the forums, mailing list and IRC, rather than having them act as separate links. In another cases, I've used the community category to focus on user content(users mailing list) and the developers category to focus on development content(developers mailing list) to provide better methods for knowing where to find resources specifically by interest.

The one page that has been missing is the about page with links to the people involved in this project. I see this as being fundamental for the identity of the project. I am hoping to mimic something that I found[1]. However since not everyone will be inclined to provide a picture, I'm more apt to using an avatar[2] listed with the community username and brief word that describes the role within the community, past or present.

Thanks for reading and let the coding begin

[0] http://outdatedbrowser.com/ | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... b_browsers

[1] http://greygroup.pl/#/pl/people

[2] http://tearms.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:02 am 

I am unfortunately not a designer, but may i suggest not using Javascript either ? I don't know about you, but i usually block scripting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:43 pm 

Good Day All!,

Going forward, to start considering where development is headed for 2015, I have created a pad that will be the topic of discussion for most weekends this coming November. Please add your feedback, if you have not done so and be part of helping develop BLAG 210000.

Regards,

Abdur-Rahman