BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 pm 

Hello! Just registered with this forum.
I installed the Blag-LiveCD-alpha-x86_64.iso on a desktop, and it came with the XFCE desktop environment. How can I add the gnome de to the system? I can't seem to find a straight-forward way to do this. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance, and it's good to be here.

Last edited by brobri on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:14 pm 

Strange! Because pre-alpha 200k release comes with Gnome or MATE: ftp://blag.fsf.org/200000/Live/x86_64/Pre-Alpha/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 pm 

Well that's what I thought, too, but the de is definitely xfce. There is a install/remove software section, and I can put gnome into the search, but the apps aren't very descriptive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:40 pm 

I installed the MATE version and it is MATE. Never heard about guys installing gnome and having xfce at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:38 pm 

Junichiro, I installed the new (alpha), 160k version of Blag. I believe that it's based on Fedora 9? The one I installed is the 160000/en/iso/Blag-LiveCD-alpha-x86_64.iso

It didn't come with any de options at the login screen, and didn't come with either gnome or Mate. All it came with was xfce by default. There is a gnome desktop manager listed in the "install/remove software" application, and it is marked as installed (by default), but there is no "gnome-session-fallback" (or gnome flashback) application listed that I can see. I may have to install it via terminal?

In any case, neither gnome nor mate desktop environments are on the os that I installed. Only xfce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:37 pm 

Yes! 160k uses xfce by default. But why don't you want to install 200K pre-alpha? It runs fine.
No! 160k isn't based on fedora 9 but, fedora 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:11 pm 

Junichirô wrote:
Yes! 160k uses xfce by default. But why don't you want to install 200K pre-alpha? It runs fine.
No! 160k isn't based on fedora 9 but, fedora 16.

Ahh! I came up with Fedora 9 off the top of my head as I'm at work at the moment, and not by my desktop. My apologies, Junichiro. It would be Fedora 16, I'm sure, and I'm certainly not opposed to installing 200K. When I get home, I'll download it, and install it shortly thereafter. Thanks for straightening me out on this!
Solved-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:20 pm 

I was able to install the Blag 200k for gnome. The install protocol for installing on existing partitions was a little difficult, and possibly a Fedora protocol? But I was able to install it. I put it on an older Acer Aspire that I have.
There were no updates to install, and this may be due to the current 200k iso being pre alpha, so I am expecting to run into quirks & bugs. Overall, I am pleased with the distribution so far, and am eager to play around with it a little.
I do need to become better versed in yum commands, and the such, as I am more familiar with apt-get. I've been wanting to install a totally free operating system for a while now, one that is supported by the Free Software Fountain. Sure, I've run a few in Virtualbox, and even have some uploaded on Youtube, but this is the first time that I have actually installed one on a desktop, so this is a small milestone for me.
Again, thanks for the help in steering me in the direction I wanted to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 pm 

This'll help: http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?p=30424&highlight=#30424

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm 

Junichirô wrote:

Thanks - I'll look at it tonight, and save it.