BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BLAG 240000 Request Here
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:45 pm 

Good Day Everyone,

I'm opening this topic to request application suggestions for BLAG 240000, which will be based on Fedora 24 MATE Spin. For the 240000 release, the traditional 700MB will be increasing, as applications have grown that simply do not fit on CD. In respect to the size, I'm interested in seeing what we can do differently based on the size the MATE Spin, including a different set of applications. Below are my suggestions.

For requests to have the iso available as a torrent, the plan is to ensure that this is available and having a minimal install/network install, will also be available as well.

In terms of applications, my suggestions based on the MATE Menu categories in the F23 release are

Accessories
-compiz
+gnome-disk-utility
-gnote

Graphics
+gimp
+inkscape

Internet
+Icecat
+Icedove
+pidgin-otr
-sylpheed

Sound & Video
+audacity
+brasero
+oggconvert
+pitivi
+soundconverter
-xfburn

System Tools
-gparted

Also, under the System Category, modifying the Preferences Menu sub-categories to show items in all categories or removing Preferences and Administration and having just the Control Center that already categorizes these menus.

Thank you and enjoy your day ahead!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:23 am 

I see no response since you posted this almost a month ago. In my opinion, it's a good starting point for the forthcoming BLAG 240000 version.
Sharing the .ISOs as torrents is also a great idea, it could be lighter for the centralized structures to handle, and encourages people to share BLAG, easily.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:25 am 

Great!

Look forward to bringing the T60 back to life with BLAG

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:44 am 

foxh0und,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm look forward to knowing your experiences with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:28 pm 

I didn't know if I had to create a new topic about the feedbacks
concerning the BLAG 230k iso, the "pre-release" of the 240k version.

I'm currently using it, and it seems to work just fine.

The major issue I've notice is that, during the setup process, the
"Write to hard drive" step, or I don't know how to call it, the
navigation buttons are not present (supposed to be instead of the blue
stripe, at the top, right ?), I had to use my TAB key, then press
enter, at each step, it's not really user friendly for those who want to
try BLAG, if you know what I mean. :) You can find a screenshot attached
to this post to illustrate.

That's all I have to say at the moment !

Note : tearms gave me a link to download BLAG 230k, you could directly ask him on the irc channel if you want to test it out too. (as far as I don't know if we can share freely this iso around the world)

Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot of my blag 230k setup screen
Screenshot at 2016-03-21 22_05_58.png
Screenshot at 2016-03-21 22_05_58.png [ 70.02 KiB | Viewed 11249 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:26 pm 

Same problem.I canceled the installation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:39 pm 

I've tested an similar iso with the fedora branding(release, release-notes, fedora-logos) instead of the generic branding and the top menu does load, so I will look into the images in the generic-logos to fix, when I re-brand the packages with the blag branding.

How anaconda loads the image an issue with

Junichir├┤ wrote:
Same problem.I canceled the installation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:08 pm 

Same issue too :-U

keep up the good work Tearms and as Bobby McFerrin sang

Here's a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry, be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:16 pm 

I'm with Cebabonet on this - the apps listed look to be a fine start. My first thought was, "why not Tor?" but if I'm not mistaken you articulated your reasons for its exclusion on another post. Besides, from what I've been reading lately, Tor has been downgraded a bit in terms of bulletproof privacy & so it goes.

Since I do have nostalgic feeling for the halcyon days of Netscape & Mozilla, I do have to ask: have you considered including SeaMonkey?

I trust things are going well with the new version & I look forward to getting it on a box here soon.

You've really got something beautiful & unique here - I hope it continues.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 am 

Hello,

Would I be correct in saying that there are images of Blag 240000 available to download? If so, where? I'm mad to try out anything new from Blag. Trisquel has really fallen behind as regards updates but Parabola is keeping me going, once I figured out how to use it :-P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:36 pm 

Sadly, sir, you would not be correct.

BLAG 240K never did emerge from the mists of vaporware that it always was.

And apparently, rumors of a BLAG 250K emerging from the ashes have turned out to be just that. Rumors.

So unless you are a member of a now-obsolete "inner circle," the best you can probably do (as I have) is locate BLAG 200K somewhere amongst the interwebs, install it on some old machine, virtual or otherwise & ponder upon what was & what might have been (as I have). :-(

Meanwhile, if you are a fan of Trisquel or Parabola, I say, "count your blessings!" Relatively speaking, both are at least active as far as I know. Gnewsense also is back on track as well.

Also, since you've just gotta be free (don't we all?), there are a few other distros out there for your consideration:

https://marcus.nohost.me/blog/2016/11/2 ... -released/ (Next best thing to BLAG for now...if you can get it to install! I could not.)
Uruk (new kid on the block, based on Trisquel...but how "free" can an Iranian distro be?)
ConnochaetOS (only 32-bit, but can be tweaked to 64-bit + based on Slackware!)
GuixSD (semi-official GNU.org distro, don't know what it's about really...)
LibertyBSD (Gotta give this guy Riley kudos - http://www.libertybsd.net/)

So there you have it, a few of the simpler libre offerings out there...hope you found your way back here to get this...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:34 pm 

tristero wrote:
Sadly, sir, you would not be correct.

BLAG 240K never did emerge from the mists of vaporware that it always was.

And apparently, rumors of a BLAG 250K emerging from the ashes have turned out to be just that. Rumors.

So unless you are a member of a now-obsolete "inner circle," the best you can probably do (as I have) is locate BLAG 200K somewhere amongst the interwebs, install it on some old machine, virtual or otherwise & ponder upon what was & what might have been (as I have). :-(

Meanwhile, if you are a fan of Trisquel or Parabola, I say, "count your blessings!" Relatively speaking, both are at least active as far as I know. Gnewsense also is back on track as well.

Also, since you've just gotta be free (don't we all?), there are a few other distros out there for your consideration:

https://marcus.nohost.me/blog/2016/11/2 ... -released/ (Next best thing to BLAG for now...if you can get it to install! I could not.)
Uruk (new kid on the block, based on Trisquel...but how "free" can an Iranian distro be?)
ConnochaetOS (only 32-bit, but can be tweaked to 64-bit + based on Slackware!)
GuixSD (semi-official GNU.org distro, don't know what it's about really...)
LibertyBSD (Gotta give this guy Riley kudos - http://www.libertybsd.net/)

So there you have it, a few of the simpler libre offerings out there...hope you found your way back here to get this...

Hello!

Thank you so much for your very informative reply. Much appreciated!

It is an awful pity about BLAG. I remember running BLAG 200k for a while and found it perfect, but then the updates stopped and like yourself, I did ponder about BLAG's glory days... but then I just chanced my arm setting up Parabola. The Freed-ora option may be something to consider. Would love to run a completely free YUM system. Already have an APT system and a PACMAN system now :-P I may also consider ConnochaetOS though or LibertyBSD.

I consider myself very lucky to have Parabola running (after many attempts) as it really is the bleeding-edge of free software. Would highly recommend it!

So thank you again for your reply and hopefully some day soon we'll be talking about BLAG 250K

Look after yourself,

Steve