BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Development framework
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:22 am 

I found this project very interesting. I myself have started to tweak Fedora a while ago, to make it suit my wishes.

One of the results ot this work is also a set of shell script for tweaking a RPM based distro. You can have a look at the project at http://distort.sf.net

What I am interested in is this:
Do you have some set of scripts of your own, that you use in your BLAG development?
Do you have some automated way to update your RPM directory with updated versions of the RPM files ?

I would be interested in any cooperation, to make my project more advanced and useful to its users.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Miro wrote:
One of the results ot this work is also a set of shell script for tweaking a RPM based distro. You can have a look at the project at http://distort.sf.net

Nice. I'll check it out. You may find this doc a bit helpful:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Building_BLAG30000

Feel free to set up an account on the wiki and add anything. :)

Miro wrote:
Do you have some set of scripts of your own, that you use in your BLAG development?

Yes. I have a handful of scripts I use to roll the CD/DVDs. Some are on the DVD, but I think they may be a bit dated.

I'll put some up at ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/developers/

Miro wrote:
Do you have some automated way to update your RPM directory with updated versions of the RPM files ?

No. In the past I just did the sync by hand. But now that I have Dag, freshrpms, Fedora updates, AND Fedora Extras it's turning into a very time-consuming process--especially now that the BLAG DVD has all of Fedora Extras. In the past couple days I was trying to figure out a good way to automate this, but I didn't come up with anything.

If you want to work together to figure out a way to do this, I'd be very happy. :) I'm on irc.indymedia.org #blag quite often if you want to stop by there. We can also discuss it in this thread.

Miro wrote:
I would be interested in any cooperation, to make my project more advanced and useful to its users.

Me too. :) I'd also like to make my scripts more generic and less ugly, but it hasn't been a pressing need. I had planned to roll a blag-distro-devel RPM or somesuch.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Kickstart
=======
I noticed under planned features, you list "kickstart installs"

Take a look at BLAG's: BLAG/base/ks-* and isolinux/syslinux.config*

BLAG has "automajick" installs which partition, format, and install (e.g completely erase) without user intervention. At the boot: prompt, you can type miniblag, serverblag, deskblag, or blagblagblag for kickstart installs.

I have also modified firstboot & blag-firstboot to prompt for some of the things that are needed such as root password, network, keyboard etc. This is just in the latest blag 29k release.

anaconda
========
I have done a lot of modifications to anaconda. You can grab the SRPM here:
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/lin ... i386/SRPMS

Trademarks
==========
I have removed trademarked stuff wherever I can find it. I don't really have docs on how I've done it, but take a look at *blag* RPMS/SRPMS. Feel free to use them as a base.

Rebuilds
=======
"rebuild tree from SRPMS"
I do this by hand, but there are a couple applications out there that do this. I believe the preferred one right now is mach until RH releases their build environment. Dag also has DAR, but I think he's going towards mach too. This can be pretty complicated to build from scratch, so I'd suggest using theirs.

Compressed Filesystem
====================
You mention using cloop. I'm not sure how you'd do this. I have made test versions of BLAG using zisofs. One drawback is that windoz users then can't read the CD, but who really cares? ;)

Links
====
On the links page, you have Building BLAG3000 instead of 30000 (missing one 0). We're way ahead of all other distros. ;)

minifc3
======
I have made a minifc3 version which is 100% fedora based (no blag RPMS) as a thought experiment. It has the minimal amount of RPMs needed to install using the stock anaconda, get the system up & running with net, and then yum from there. It's a 211 meg ISO. See:
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/contrib/minifc3/

In Sum
======
I'd be happy to make your environment the stock BLAG building environment, but probably not for 30k as we're nearing the end already.

Thanks for the nice work :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:36 am 

I am glad you like the idea on abstract developement framework.
Off course some tasks can never be automated, but everything that can be, should be :)

I already noticed that you made quite a lot modifications to Fedora. Do you have any HOWTO at your site? That might be interesting read for other tweakers like me :)

Regarding my TODO list with items like cloop, these are all just optional addons to the distro. Everyone should be able to control my building framework through the project config file.

BTW, I've just released latest distort version 0.1.4 with new script that tries to update RPM dir automatically using apt-get. It still needs a lot of testing, but I am currently just testing the idea itself.

What I would like is to collect a bunch of feedback and cool ideas on how to improve the project. So it means, I need more testers and developers :) Anyone feel free to send me your patches or ideas (mrajcic (at) hotmail (dot) com).

In the meantime I'll take a look at your blag contents (this minimal distro looks interesting :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Miro wrote:
I am glad you like the idea on abstract developement framework.
Off course some tasks can never be automated, but everything that can be, should be :)

I'm definitely for some more automation here....

Miro wrote:
I already noticed that you made quite a lot modifications to Fedora. Do you have any HOWTO at your site? That might be interesting read for other tweakers like me :)

I don't have any HOWTOs other than the Building one you are linking to. If you have something specific you want to know about, lemme know and I can do a write up.

One issue is that things keep moving. How do you change rhgb? How do you change XYZ? It is different in fc1, fc2, fc3, etc. as Fedora stabilizes into an independent project. This has made it a bit difficult to roll new versions as I have to hunt around.

I think the best approach would be to download my SRPMS and see what patches are made. I have done them with other Fedora-based distros in mind. You should be able to download the SRPM, edit the patches or images directly, change the SPEC from blag to foo, and re-roll it. One way would be to use the BLAG RPMs as a base to quickly remove Fedora trademarks, then go in and customize them.

Miro wrote:
Regarding my TODO list with items like cloop, these are all just optional addons to the distro. Everyone should be able to control my building framework through the project config file.

Ya, I started versions of scripts with config files, but in the end, I've just been using my ugly simple scripts and just running them in the order that I need. I'm not a coder, but more of a sysadmin.... It would be cool to do this in python, imo, and at some point, egads, even putting a simple gui on it.

Miro wrote:
What I would like is to collect a bunch of feedback and cool ideas on how to improve the project. So it means, I need more testers and developers :) Anyone feel free to send me your patches or ideas (mrajcic (at) hotmail (dot) com).

Another fellow I've been talking to recently is at https://build.last-bastion.net
https://build.last-bastion.net/RPMBuilder/

He is working on automated rebuilds too. Perhaps we should coordinate things together. What's the best approach? We could use these forums, if you want, or I could set up a mailing list (e.g. forkhat@blagblagblag.org). I think its a bit easier to do development discussions on a mailing list than in the forums.

Miro wrote:
In the meantime I'll take a look at your blag contents (this minimal distro looks interesting :) )

Thanks! You may be interested in the DVD version as well, which includes all the -devel stuff plus Fedora Extras.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:04 am 

I like your idea on wider cooperation.
Mailing list would be cool too, just let me know how can I subscribe.

BTW, when do you plan to release your latest blag DVD?
I am always interested in a good distro :)

Perhaps you would be interested to add gnome-ppp package into the distro
(I noticed one user of your distro requested it at the forum).
I've made the rpms myself, you can fetch them at:
http://distort.sourceforge.net/temp/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Miro wrote:
BTW, when do you plan to release your latest blag DVD?
I am always interested in a good distro :)

There is a kind-of-recent (like a week old) version of the DVD for 30k available at the website.

Miro wrote:
Perhaps you would be interested to add gnome-ppp package into the distro

Ya, I should pop that in there...

Later,

-Jeff

Last edited by jebba on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:37 am 

I am afraid this link points to a movie file :)

Let me know when you set up the mailing list.

Post subject: Let me know
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:32 am 
Hey guys i'm using linux Blag and i want to help to develop new destribution but i want to know how can i compile the Imagies ... i mean my own imagies during the installation and background .. Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: Let me know
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:26 am 
Site Admin

bannoura wrote:
Hey guys i'm using linux Blag and i want to help to develop new destribution but i want to know how can i compile the Imagies ... i mean my own imagies during the installation and background .. Thanks guys

They are scattered about in various RPMs. Here's a wiki entry that will give some hints as to where to find them:

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/BLAG-Graphics

-Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:00 am 
jebba wrote:
Yes. I have a handful of scripts I use to roll the CD/DVDs. Some are on the DVD, but I think they may be a bit dated.

These script will work with FC5 ? It's possible to have your scripts used to make BLAG-49999 ?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:09 am 
Site Admin

vnpenguin wrote:
jebba wrote:

These script will work with FC5 ? It's possible to have your scripts used to make BLAG-49999 ?

Thanks,

There's a few billion of 'em, unless you're familiar with shell scripting in general, it can be hard to do much with them.

Here are some of them, used on blag30k series (earlier on):
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/blag/developers/scripts

Those scripts are most definetly dated and not the latest (some of the cooler ones like update-blag-build-goo aren't there).

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:19 am 
Yes, I see these scripts. It works maybe only in BLAG's environment. I have already tried them on FC5t3. It does not work because there so many difference in anaconda-runtime package of FC5t3 comparing to FC4 and ealier releases.

I'll try again with the next official release of FC5.

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys. I've been looking at the files within the iso images... I've noticed that in the 30ks there is an images dir which contains a boot.iso and diskboot.img. There is no such directory within the 50K series. Is there reason for that?
Code:
mount BLAG-30003.iso /mnt/ -t iso9660 -o loop

ls /mnt/images/
boot.iso  diskboot.img  pxeboot  README  TRANS.TBL

umount /mnt/
mount BLAG-49999.00003.iso /mnt/ -t iso9660 -o loop

ls /mnt/
BLAG       EULA  isolinux  README-Accessibility  RELEASE-NOTES      repodata
Changelog  GPL   README    README-fc5            RELEASE-NOTES-fc5  TRANS.TBL

There are a few images in /mnt/isolinux, but not the boot and diskboot.iso files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

john maclean wrote:
Hi guys. I've been looking at the files within the iso images... I've noticed that in the 30ks there is an images dir which contains a boot.iso and diskboot.img. There is no such directory within the 50K series. Is there reason for that?

Ya... Space. They are on the ftp site if you want to use them.

-Jeff