BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:19 pm 

First: I downloaded and burnt the iso without taking the time to check the md5 (yeah, stupid). Booted the cd and skipped the file integrity check (yeah, stupid). Seemed to install without a hitch, BUT, on first boot (and every boot) my computer froze up solid when trying to start the cups daemon. Went back and did the file check, FAIL.

Second: Downloaded again checking md5 and file integrity, FAIL again. Installed anyway. Exact same problem the second time, cups locks up the computer (no mouse, keyboard, nothing).

Third: Attempted to enter "interactive start-up" to disable cups. I tried this at least a dozen times and only entered "interactive" once. Don't know why it wouldn't let me. Finally ended up booting the iso as rescue disk and commented out /etc/init.d/cups to get blag to boot. Works like a charm.

I haven't "update or dist-upgrade" yet, will do that after this post. One other thing I noticed:

If you don't install blagcanyon theme (accidently unchecked the entire gnome package), gdm will not load at all, falls back on xdm(?) after a couple of error messages. Is this normal?

By the way, love blag!

Thanks,

Daniel

Loads of Fun!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

vredfreak wrote:
If you don't install blagcanyon theme (accidently unchecked the entire gnome package), gdm will not load at all, falls back on xdm(?) after a couple of error messages. Is this normal?

Ya, that's probably normal.

Sounds like your issues are from a bad CD image. The info on this page may help so you can get the download without having to re-download everything:

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Rsync_iso

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:44 pm 

Yes, it may be a bad image, but I downloaded the iso from two different directories (same file, of course, just thought maybe something got jazzed in the move from one directory to the other), burned one with k3b in one distro, burned the other with command-line cdrecord in another distro.

The md5 checked out on the second download, it was just the file check on the cd that failed.

I hope it's just a bad image, or a bad bunch of cd's.

Daniel

PS- thanks for the link

Loads of Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Also, try burning the CD at a lower speed, like 1x or 2x. Sometimes this seems to help. Bad CDs are probably the #1 installation problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:24 am 

I to had the same problem with an older pentium 2 266mhz IBM desktop. Locked up right when it ran the sbin installer. However, the same cd installed fine on a newer 700mhz duron machine I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Hmm. Some of this stuff on really old kit may be the fact that it's a 700 meg not a 650 meg CD image. Just a thought....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:52 am 

Well, I'm almost positive it's not the image.

Updated the iso, still no go. Even the dvd iso ( which the md5 and the file integrity check both checked ok) had the same problem. There is definitely some problem with the cups daemon and my machine.

700 meg discs should not be a problem on my machine.

Pentium II/Celeron
2 ghz
60 gig hd
256 RAM

I've tried more distros than I can count and never had a problem with cups before. Blag boots fine so long as I disable the cups daemon at boot. I haven't tried starting cups manually after booting, and don't have Blag on the machine right now to try it.

Any ideas?

Loads of Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:35 am 

I had the same thing happen to me burned the cd and install froze in my 1ghz machine couldn,t get it to install used the same cd in my 2ghz and install fine so I guess the cdrom was bad or something. I guess its picky on installs the new interface looks great... One beef though.. Mplayer and w32codecs can,t get it to play .wmv Works ok in 10000 Really need it for most video on the net. Few minor bugs but you guys are doing a fine job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:39 am 
Site Admin

You will have to get the w32 codecs yourself. They were removed because they aren't free software. Check this thread -

http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopi ... hlight=w32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

vredfreak wrote:

It's "normal" but not right. ;)

It should be fixed as of 29999.00055.iso (not yet uploaded).

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 pm 

I just wasn't sure if gdm had any other themes available on the install disc, or if the script was designed to look only for blagcanyon. One of those little glitches. :)

Daniel

Loads of Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:00 pm 

FYI, I have tested 30k on older machines and found that /sbin installer loading... there is a long hesitation up to 8 minutes before going to installing so don't give up to soon, you have to wait it out on some machines. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

slick50 wrote:
FYI, I have tested 30k on older machines and found that /sbin installer loading... there is a long hesitation up to 8 minutes before going to installing so don't give up to soon, you have to wait it out on some machines. 8)

Ouch. You try `linux text` and boot and see if that's any faster?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:14 am 

P700 256ram 20gig Ibm, other P3 1gig 256 Dell Optiplex 20gig Western Digital, These machines are not real low end machines, They run well in 30k just takes a long time to get to the install? Tested 10k in them no hesitation at all runs ( 10k& 30k), and detects all hardware in both distros. Text same thing: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:33 am 

Just a little more info on my problem:

Blag seems to install fine.
During boot it locks up tight while initializing cups.

I decided to wait it out and after 20 minutes or more of sitting there, it kicked out of the boot process with a complaint of "Out of Memory" and then proceeds to kill every process it's already started, ending in a kernel panic.

I've never encountered anything like this before. So long as cups is disabled at boot, everything works fine.

Not sure what to do.

Daniel

Loads of Fun!