FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
No Swap?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: No Swap? Reply with quote

What's a consequence of having no swap drive? I have at times had no swap drive in this box which has 1GB DDR RAM and it worked quicker than when using a swap drive.

Right now I have a 1.5GB swap drive and notice sometimes the computer doesn't run as quick as before but then both the swap and / are on the same hard drive. I am getting mixed opinions all around some saying you must have a swap drive and some saying with 1GB its not necessary.

Obviously with older machines a swap drive is a must have but with up to date boxes don't you think accessing a hard drive for both regular usage and as a swap would make things a bit too slow at times?

Maybe it is possible to change the sequence so that swap is only activated when the usual RAM is full or is that the case already?

TSS_Killer
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have more than 512mb of ram,you do not need swap space. What you are doing is just a waste of HD Space.
tofu
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i accidentally (read ignorantly) installed blag on one partition, no boot, no swap, but it seems to be working fine, xp2400, 512 ram.
jebba
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tofu: ya, for many situations, that will work fine... You can certainly get away with it. :)

Later, if you should ever find the need, you can create a swapfile within your single partition.
Keywords: mkswap, swapon

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP