BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Longhorn Specs?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:14 am 

Here are Microsoft's Longhorn hardware recommendations

Desktop CPU: 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor with HyperThreading Technology 530 (or higher) or 3 GHz Intel Xeon processor with 2 MB L2 cache, or AMD Athlon 64,: Sempron, or Opteron 100, 200, or 800 processor, single or dual-core versions.

Mobile CPU: 1.86 GHz Intel Pentium M processor 750 (or higher), or AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology, Mobile Sempron, or Mobile Athlon 64 processor.

RAM: 512 MB of RAM or more, all platforms.

At WinHEC 2005, Microsoft did reveal a vague set of specifications for PCs that will run Longhorn, and provide the advanced Aero Glass interface. A modern Pentium 4-based PC (or the AMD equivalent) with 512 MB of RAM and a dedicated graphics card capable of DirectX 9.0 compatibility will run Longhorn just fine, I'm told. Systems with less resources--like most notebook computers and systems with Celeron processors--will default to the low-end Aero Express user interface, Microsoft says.

WTF? 90% of the pc's won't come close!!

Post subject: Re: Longhorn Specs?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:12 am 

slick50 wrote:
WTF? 90% of the pc's won't come close!!

its all about force you to upgrade , upgrade upgrade . this how ever can be a ms mistake . people can now look for an alternative os to run on there already bought and paid for hardware . i think if the linux community will push on this point ...linux market penitration can become more expanded . microsoft will slowly go away . say in 10 years i think its market share will erode enoughe that it will go away but its also about the patents ...they will fight like hell to kill linux if they can . they will bribe .pay off who they have to to get there agenda met ,.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:55 am 

having tried to replace a motherboard on an XP installaion, and failed, i dread to thing of the dirty tricks that 'longhorn' has up its sleeve. microsoft did a pretty good job of getting me onto linux- looks like they're stirring up a new wave of defectors now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

It is the same policy Apple has whenever it releases a new version of it's OS only this instance is a lot more extreme because M$ cannot control the hardware. I won't even bother with it and if I do end up with a PC that powerful it won't be to run Windows. I just think of BLAG on a 3GHz Pentium and imagine how much quicker it will be than Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:02 pm 

Longhorn specs are totally stupid. What about the poor kid who works on a Windows box for his course work or some random thing that does require Windows such as wiring up his guitar.

Longhorn will be popular no doubt about it but there will be angry people when the thing wont work without upgrades.

It looks like I might just finally have to migrate to Linux on my Crapard Bell laptop.

Oh and for some server version of Longhorn I bet you need to run it on a super computer because you need 50GB Ram, 8GB of Video memory and 12 x 100Ghz CPUs.

Also hasnt MS released a tweaked version of XP to run on PIIs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen XP run on P2's, but it runs quite...well, it doesn't really run very much. It crashes more than anything. My gaming box is perfectly capable of running Longhorn according to those specs (a processor upgrade will be required, but I'm already planning one). Since I like playing the latest FPS's, unfortunately it looks like I'm going to end up upgrading to this new version of 'doze. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

I just installed XP on this and it runs fine. Not as quick as Linux but what do you expect. I think this machine will more than be able to run Longhorn. I just wish I didn't have to use it for gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:36 am 
Anything with a registry is shotty...... Both Blag and FC2 run better on my P3 800's Both 512MB ram and 128 meg vid. 1 year straight runnig FC2 no virus,popup blue screens, reg scrubbing, defragging and no parinoia.. Thank the GODS for LINUS and OpenSource :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:24 pm 
To use our spark plugs you must buy at least a 2004 model car[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:54 am 

The thing that concerns me about Longhorn is all this dodgey DRM stuff. I wouldn't be suprised if half the power requirements of the pc is going into managing that.
I'd like to know what business it is of there's what I do. Who made them the police? It's like Ford recording your speeds and then lagging you in to the cops when you go over the limit. Would you buy a Ford if they did that?
I am a musician and I find this DRM stuff very disconcerting. The way that they are doing deals with hardware manufacturers can't be legal. Why is collusion legal when you call it a "strategic alliance"?
The way it's going the only way I will be able to distribute my music is through a record company that can add DRM. Otherwise people's hi-fi's will reject it.
The record companies have been ripping off muso's for years and now that they can no longer sell little pieces of plastic for outrageous amounts they are shitting themselves.
DRM is an attempt to keep the money flowing into the record industry instead of into the pockets of musicians where it belongs.
Use ogg-vorbis players and linux. DRM is obscene. They can shove Vista up their collective arses.

http://www.cdbaby.net/articles/courtney_love.html