BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:46 pm 

i was looking for par2 program and found that red hat or fedora doesnt have an rpm for it. i thought id make my own but then i came across mandrakes rpm and since i was testing the 10000 beta id give it a go. it installs and runs like a dream . i tested furthier and as far as i can tell nothing broke . so i offer this as a tip to those who use the news groups to download par2 files ...love this distro . id love to help market if i could :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Par2? Not familiar with it. Got some URLs?

Thanks dude,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:31 am 

par2 files are a way to download large files off of usenet news groups . its like an older version of what bittorrents become but its all command line. on the usenet groups there are multimedia movies and things and this was used as away to download them . heres the propaganda on it and then the link is to the rpms .

ar 2.0 specification is a system of repairing incomplete or slightly damaged files. Here is a list of the features included in version 2.0:

PAR 2.0 either completely removes or significantly reduces these limitations:

--- Damaged files can be repaired. A single byte error in a 10MB file might only require the use of recovery data from a PAR file that is only 100KB in size.

--- There is no relationship between the size of the data files and the size of the PAR files. Also, the PAR files will normally be of varied sizes allowing you to pick the size you need appropriate to the amount of damaged data you need to repair.

--- Damaged PAR files will still be useable. PAR 2.0 can use the undamaged parts of a PAR file.

--- PAR files can be generated from a single source file without the need to split it. On UseNet, this removes the need to use RAR or any other file splitter. Please note however, that due to the limitations of some newsreaders (which do not permit the download of incomplete files), it is advisable to use RAR to split very large files.

--- It can handle up to 32768 files.

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html