BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

surfbass_not_logged_in wrote:
And could you add in gcc or a C compiler of some sort, it's really annoying to have to download it every time I reformat.

It's on the DVD and won't be on the CD. If you need development tools, use the DVD. Remember we have precious little space to work with.

I think some of the "graveman" issues are due to some recent changes to the kernel and to cdrecord. There was a long thread about this on LKML.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:02 am 

I'd like to request Enlightenment, E17. Perhaps not on the CD itself (space limits, not officially stable yet, etc) but in the repo. Made available through one metapackage so simple 'apt-get install e17' gets and installs the whole lot, including associated applications, and some nice themes and icons, AND makes a proper entry in login manager.... ah, wouldn't that be lovely ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:47 am 
Site Admin

ferrix wrote:
I'd like to request Enlightenment, E17. Perhaps not on the CD itself (space limits, not officially stable yet, etc) but in the repo. Made available through one metapackage so simple 'apt-get install e17' gets and installs the whole lot, including associated applications, and some nice themes and icons, AND makes a proper entry in login manager.... ah, wouldn't that be lovely ?

It's already there, and it's probably not going to see all the improvements you suggested, however, a proper entry in the login manager among others is possible...

You'll have to enable the TESTING repo to get E17, FYI.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:28 am 

stevo32 wrote:
It's already there, and it's probably not going to see all the improvements you suggested, however, a proper entry in the login manager among others is possible...

You'll have to enable the TESTING repo to get E17, FYI.

Yeah, I did my homework (ie, I did the search of the forum) before posting so I know it is in testing repo, and getting it involves installing individual parts more or less one by one, and making a GDM entry for it is another piece of black art again. I read all that, and that's why I respectfully suggest this is fine for TESTING, but there is room for improvement :) Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I have a feeling these packages in testing are a bit out of date by now?
There is a lot of interest in Enlightenment at the moment, as it becomes almost useable... While I appreciate it is perhaps too cutting-edge for the CD, I think it would be quite a significant 'selling point' for many current and potential users if a mature (within reason, of course) version of E17 was easily available on Blag. *Easily* being the key word here.

And with Enligtenment being free from any licensing issues, highly effective at what it does and quite frugal in terms of resources it requires to run, I'd think it would fit into Blag ethos nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, enlightenment is cool. I've definitely checked it out a number of times over the years. It'll get in the 40k repo (and certainly not forgotten if it's bugzilla'd http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org )

The packages in TESTING are a bit out-of-date. We'll find or do a new build for 40k. It likely won't be on the CD, but will be in the repo.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:47 am 
Another I would like to bring up is the fact you cannot switch consoles in FC4, and I got the same trouble in BLAG 39999.20000. I don't know what causes it, but it is annoying as hell, and I would appreciate it if you could fix that...somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Another I would like to bring up is the fact you cannot switch consoles in FC4, and I got the same trouble in BLAG 39999.20000. I don't know what causes it, but it is annoying as hell, and I would appreciate it if you could fix that...somehow.

You can't ctrl-alt-f1 ??? I can do it in the installs I've done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Here are a few of my thoughts on 40k.

LiveCD
======
We should have a LiveCD released simultaneously with "regular" blag40k.

podcasting
=========
Podcasting rocks over streaming radio. I still like streams, but podcasting is the "future" (present?). There are a few podcasting clients out there in various states of repair. We should grab the best one and put it in there. I've been stuck with bashodeopodder... iPodder is ok.

Also, wordpress is some mighty fine blogging software with podcasting "built in". I'm a bit hesitant to start rolling web apps into the distro, but this one is high on my list if we do. Hmm.

VoIP
====
There are a number of sipphones out there. gnomemeeting may be able to do SIP now. Last I checked a number of these projects were pretty close to being usable, but not quite there yet. We'll need to look again.

Music Management
================
I love xmms as it's rock solid, but there is some clamouring for things with more "management". I haven't looked into this at all. Are there /stable/ applications that can do this now? We won't replace xmms unless it's damn good...

Repository
=========
Much larger. We should basically merge in the entire fedora-core/rpmforge (which == dag, dries, freshrpms, etc) directories excluding the few bits that overlap.

SVG Theme
==========
Hopefully we'll get a theme which is .svg based instead of .png this time 'round.

p2p
===
This field is changing all the time. I think we have amule, gtk-gnutella and nicotine in there. I don't p2p very much, so input on what's hot now would be nice.

Make modems not suck
====================
I think this has been around since 7992.

BLAGNX Crack
=============
Ahh, this is the only thing I think about now. Perhaps it will be myBLAG, BLAGme, blagOVERTHERE, or NETBLAGSD (Network BLAG Linux And GNU Super Disco).

Basically, what this thing is is a LiveCD but small (like 225 megs but that'll be worked down even smaller), that just boots straight to X-windows and presents a GDM login screen. The kicker here is that the remote screen is running on a server at ahimsa* (the "cluster" that hosts blag). So the local machine only needs to be capable of running Xwindows since all of it's applications (including gnome itself) run remotely. You can have a CD (e.g. if you don't own a computer), go into and cybercafe or a friend's house, boot up the CD and have "your" desktop with your bookmarks, desktop, documents, etc.

Another cool thing is doing it with shared desktops. We could just have one public -Shared desktop and anyone can come along and kludge on it with others simultaneously (just for kicks). Others could be in "tutorial" mode, which would make it very easy to show people how to do things. I was trying to explain to zcat something in grip the other day (go to this tab, then that tab, then this field and add "%t"). This would have been 100% simple to do if we were both looking at the same desktop (which we did later on).

I've "implemented" this in a LiveCD using freenx and a proprietary nxclient (hence no release of this brainstorm). I've also done it using vnc, which is quite straightforward, but slower than NX. I may do vnc via nxproxy which would keep things 100% Free and fast (e.g. doing this stuff at /modem/ speeds).

Also, you could connect to a "stable" host machine (e.g. blag30k) or take a remote preview of 39k. Or even other distros....

I've set up a relatively kick-a machine for hosting this: quad proc 3GHz Xeons, 12 gigs RAM, hardware SCSI RAID. I don't know how many users it can handle simultaneously but it's gotta at least be in the hundreds (? Only road testing will tell). Adminning it and locking it down will be a bit of work. The box will use xen and/or vservers to host the various OS installations.

Anyhoo, thanks to all submitting input on what they want to see. It really helps guide the whole thing. :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Music Management
================
I love xmms as it's rock solid, but there is some clamouring for things with more "management". I haven't looked into this at all. Are there /stable/ applications that can do this now? We won't replace xmms unless it's damn good...

There isn't really anything solid and stable right now. Wait and see how it plays out, but keep this in mind for future releases, imho.

Quote:
p2p
===
This field is changing all the time. I think we have amule, gtk-gnutella and nicotine in there. I don't p2p very much, so input on what's hot now would be nice.

Just leave as is. Gnutella's been seeing a big revival lately and ed2k (amule) has also been on the rise with the increase of users coming back from bittorrent.

Quote:
Make modems not suck
====================

Probably not gonna happen...

Quote:
Ahh, this is the only thing I think about now. Perhaps it will be myBLAG, BLAGme, blagOVERTHERE, or NETBLAGSD (Network BLAG Linux And GNU Super Disco).

I suggested BLAGremote and BLAGnet too...in fact, we could turn blagnet into blag(blagblag).net ;)

Anyhow, besides that, all looks well.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement (stevo32)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:32 pm 
jebba wrote:

You can't ctrl-alt-f1 ??? I can do it in the installs I've done.

ehh, no I can't. I havn't tried it on the install, but it sure is a pain in the ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:10 pm 

jebba wrote:
I love xmms as it's rock solid, but there is some clamouring for things with more "management". I haven't looked into this at all. Are there /stable/ applications that can do this now?

Amarok is probably the most developed one, but I suspect it would require a lot of KDE dependencies so you might not want to bring it in. I don't think there is anything equivalent in Gnome that could be clasified as useful or stable at this point...

Quote:
I think we have amule, gtk-gnutella and nicotine in there.

Yeah I think these plus bittorrent are quite enough. Unless you wanted to look at Tor, the 'official EFF' protocol: http://tor.eff.org/ I don't know how good it is, or if anyone actually uses it.

Quote:
Make modems not suck
====================

Just hang on in there a little bit longer and this problem will go away - along with modems :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

ferrix wrote:
Quote:
I think we have amule, gtk-gnutella and nicotine in there.

Yeah I think these plus bittorrent are quite enough. Unless you wanted to look at Tor, the 'official EFF' protocol: http://tor.eff.org/ I don't know how good it is, or if anyone actually uses it.

Tor is in 30k1. BLAG was running a tor server for awhile.

ferrix wrote:
Quote:
Make modems not suck
====================

Just hang on in there a little bit longer and this problem will go away - along with modems :)

Heh. I'd hope so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:37 pm 

Quote:

I just came across a Gnome app called Banshee - it looks pretty OK, though I don't know if I would go replacing XMMS just yet. Actually, I don't think XMMS should be replaced by this kind of application at all - XMMS is a straight player, while Banshee or Amarok belong in a different category: 'media management' or whatever you want to call it.

Anyhow, Banshee appears to be in Gnome what Amarok is in KDE, the only catch is Banshee is a Mono application. So, what is Blag's official position on Mono - is it the next big thing or a very dangerous idea? I think we are going to see more and more of Mono based stuff on the desktop, so we might as well get used to it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:19 am 
Site Admin

No mono for blag yet. When/if fedora eventually adopts it and integrates it into their desktop, blag most likely will too.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:33 pm 
If you want to do some serious work, you should include the reiser4 file system...just a thought...probably to late now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next