FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
BLAG and KDE?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberhobo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: BLAG and KDE? Reply with quote

I have tried dozens of Linux distros, and my favourite was MEPIS, until I found BLAG...
There are at least two features of BLAG for which I really love it: It has an "Extended Desktop" out of the box (better than the one in 'doze XP!)
and it connects all sorts of USB devices speedily and reliably, not like some other distros or Windoze, sometimes does, sometomes doesn't...
... but I have one big, big problem though: I am a KDE-fan, and really don't care too much for GNOME! What can I do?!

I want BLAG running KDE!!! That would be the ultinate Linux for me!
Or is there a similar distro to BLAG that uses KDE?

Cyberhobo[/b]

itsjustme
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

install with Synaptic
cyberhobo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: BLAG and KDE? Reply with quote

Thank's to 'itsjustme' for the reply...
to download and install KDE using Synaptic...

But that's apparrently not enough! The bootloader GRUB knows nothing about my new desktop and doesn't offer to start it up.
My guess would be that I have to edit the GRUB configuration file...
That is, when it gets tricky, as I have never done that before, and the likelyhood that I stuff up something is fairly large.

But if someone could post such an edited GRUB config file, I might be able to copy the relevant lines.

Cyberhobo

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to change grub for KDE. The desktop is not set in grub.

You can choose KDE at the login screen under "Sessions"

darkred
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: BLAG and KDE? Reply with quote

cyberhobo wrote:
I am a KDE-fan, and really don't care too much for GNOME!

I just tried out KDE. I can see that KInfoCentre is quite handy. What is it that you like so much? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it...just wondering.

rob.linux
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: BLAG and KDE? Reply with quote

darkred wrote:
cyberhobo wrote:
I am a KDE-fan, and really don't care too much for GNOME!

I just tried out KDE. I can see that KInfoCentre is quite handy. What is it that you like so much? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it...just wondering.

I like the KDE default gears background and the kmahjongg....but now I use blackbox so no more gears but kmahjongg still works fine

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can have more or less as many as you wish. Grub deals with booting the machine - not how your working environment looks. For instance I mainly use fluxbox, sometimes use enlightenment or xfce...

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP