BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:32 am 

*grin*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:29 pm 

This thread is interesting.. The distro is hosted on indymedia server....big deal, regarding the developers...well they are doing a great job....who cares..what their political views are..you do not have to read it..and no one has forced you too either..

I think your comments are a bit hash...towards the developers...and Blag in general..

I am here to learn about this great distro...I will comment no further on this subject...as I cannot see any purpose in this thread

Just remember Blag developers we think you guy's are doing a fantastic job.

Post subject: tolerance!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:28 pm 
Hi to everybody,

I enter as guest now because i didn't have time to register... :-) maybe i am registered in too many places to take care of my accounts :-) but if I would register i would be Superficus.

So, I just wanted to say something to you on this topic, well... i consider myself a liberal, politically speaking, and i love GNU Linux, the open source concept and the whole philosophy behing these efforts. I think that blag is a great initiative, a great effort to make something useful, free and nice.

If you decide to include in your distro some links, i think that after you made the effort of creating a distro, and doing it also for political reasons, even if not only, you have the right to do it. If somebody doesn't like them, well, its easy to delete them from Firefox.

To make an issue out of not liking the links included in the browser, and start posting unpolite topics on the blag forum is pointless.

I just want to thank you for your effort, and say congratulations for getting this far. I don't use blag (it's now based on fedora 3, and i either use fedora 4 or debian-based distros) but i downloaded and tried it and it works fine. I don't have problems having links on my browser, I find them interesting and enriching, and if i disagree with one of them i don't delete it, but i use it as a valuable source of information and discussion from an alternative point of view.

Thought and discussion are always good. Otherwise life would be too simple and boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 pm 

Well said.

Jeff and the guys made it. It's up to them what they do with it.

Blag is just so so lush that I really don't care.

so so lush

so so lush

so so lush...........................................................................................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:33 am 
Site Admin

stevo32 wrote:
Quote:

And now, if you forgive me, I have to continue listening to a woman screaming at her husband with an incredibly loud voice, even though all women are supposed to be gentle harmless angels, according to you.

Quote me on it.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Notice how he still hasn't quoted me on it? ;) Geez, trolls are fun.

Also, I'd like to note that although BLAG does have some political motivations, BLAG is a great distro for every desktop user, and you don't have to be an activist to use BLAG. Of course, you already knew that. As for the comment on BLAG being hosted in the same place as indy, he's damn right! Sheesh, the BLAG IRC channel is even on irc.indymedia.org!

Also:

Quote:
Just remember Blag developers we think you guy's are doing a fantastic job.

Yeppers, as always! Nobody is going to discourage the BLAG developers from producing a high quality distro.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Last edited by stevo32 on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:37 am 
...blag "works to overthrow corporate control of information and technology through community action and spreading Free Software."

..sure its free.. but why support fedora?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:
...blag "works to overthrow corporate control of information and technology through community action and spreading Free Software."

EDIT: Jeff's post is much better. See his below.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Last edited by stevo32 on Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:

I think this is one of the most valid criticisms of the BLAG project as a whole. I've certainly thought about it a lot.

I was tempted to base BLAG off debian in the very early days, but testers all wanted a graphical install, which at that time only anaconda provided. I also had more knowledge of RedHat than Debian, so I could create a custom distro based on RH much more quickly. In retrospect, this may have been from a too short-term vision (in that regard) as BLAG has grown more than I expected. Initially it was just being used by one group in Brixton (primarily http://www.communitytechnology.org.uk ), but now has users from everywhere.

One non-tech reason I like to base off Fedora is it shows the stark contrast between what a corporation will provide to their users and what a non-corporate group will provide. A corporation will always produce a distro that is centered around their bottom line, even in "community"-fedora projects.

Thanks for your thoughts,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Dear Sirs,
I have not had a virus or got any spam since since I have used your distro and it's associated tools. I am at a loss! I used to look forward to spending my Friday evenings defragging, updating and reinstalling my security tools that conflict with the system and that I paid good money for. Every six months I used to re-install the whole thing just 'cos I knew that the "registry" was a bad implementation of a good idea. (well it's poorly executed).

Please can we have some "windows" features like lack of permissions (and protection) for critical system files, a sloppy security system and those nice cartoon characters every time I try to do something?

Oh - and can you have it so that anytime I make a minor change to the system I have to reboot the computer? I rather liked that. And pleeeeeeeeese could you let my box crash everyweek just 'cos I've opened a file that it does not understand?

I do hope that I am not asking for too much. But can you push your politics in my face? Like have your policital messages "pop up" every time I click something? I mean I never even knew what your political message was until this thread started. I was like "overthrow the .... yada-yada..." When I first came across your distro and installed your system.

I have a laptop with 40gb of hard disk space. Look how much space of mine that you have taken up with these political messages!!!

Code:
jayeola@10:04:06$ du -h .mozilla/firefox/09aukoct.default/bookmarks.html
140K    .mozilla/firefox/09aukoct.default/bookmarks.html

How many bookmarks are we talking about?

Code:
jayeola@10:04:44$ cat ~/.mozilla/firefox/o0tp3p70.Default\ User/bookmarks.html |
 grep http | cut -d"\"" -f2-3 | wc -l

Nearly 500 bookmarks of information regarding all aspects of the system. Like the source code of the major apps that we use, search engines and then some.

So please can you use that tiny amount of space and replace it with something meaningfull and life enhancing, like a "value-added business portal" to an expensive service? One that locks up all the resources of my machine?

I know that this is a really long thread and you guys use most of your spare time to develop something that works, rocks and is free so you must be rather busy.

Yours Sincerely,

JOhn Maclean (jayeola)

Post subject: ME
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:25 pm 
I'm hiring a hit man, is there anyone that you guys want me to off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:04 am 
apteryx is right.
BLAG is an excellent distro despite the political naivete' of its makers and fans.

Intelligence and wisdom are often mutually exclusive.
This is how so many otherwise brilliant people can shut their eyes so tightly to the horrible toll marxism has exacted on the world.

I just delete the links to absurdity from my browser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:18 am 
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:
BLAG is an excellent distro despite the political naivete' of its makers and fans.

Intelligence and wisdom are often mutually exclusive.
This is how so many otherwise brilliant people can shut their eyes so tightly to the horrible toll marxism has exacted on the world.

Marxist? WTF makes you think I'm a Marxist? I'm about as far from that as you can get.

I also notice you don't make any actual argument against anything, but merely call people naive. I'll take the same level as you: Fuck you.

-Jeff

P.S. Perhaps I've been over busy with katrina stuff, and I'm a bit touchy, but I certainly don't need some wanker calling me naive. Buzz off.

P.P.S. Ever read the Gulag Archipelago? I have. I know damn well what totalitarian ideologies are capable of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:42 am 
Yea Ive been busy with Katrina too asshole.
I was personally hit by it and dont know when I can return home, while Ive seen nothing but opportunistic shit slinging from babbling leftwing douchebags across the pond that have NO FUCKING IDEA what theyre talking about (not to mention our own).

I've also watched corrupt DNC trash run my state all 42 yrs of my life - and piss away and steal the hundreds of millions of dollars the feds have given them for flood protection.
Now I wait - exiled - thanks to them.

Forgive me for assuming youre a marxist but you sure seem to hate the same things they do and sound just as stupid (and provide unsolicited links to even bigger fucktards than yourself).
*shrug*
Not that I care.

BLAG is a good distro - in spite of yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Anonymous wrote:
BLAG is a good distro - in spite of yourself.

Without Jeff, BLAG would not exist as we know it today. Whatever political crap is thrown around, don't underestimate his contributions to BLAG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:32 pm 

Jason wrote:
political crap.

Is it crap because we just don't give a toss, or crap because we care but disagree ?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next