BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:23 am 
Site Admin

darkred wrote:
Is it crap because we just don't give a toss, or crap because we care but disagree ?

Crap because this thread has became that way with people seemingly using flames and ignoring facts. If people bothered to research before ranting, Jeff would not get labelled a Marxist and we wouldn't have to sit here hearing how great BLAG would be even without Jeff. Both of those statements in my opinion are crap based on factual information and both stem from a political disagreement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:53 pm 

I am a devout conservative from Altoona, Pa. and I want all the folks at BLAG to know that I think you have a outstanding o/s and I havie been with you guys since Blag10k. I often go to the different bookmarks that come with the distro because I like to hear and consider other points of view. I am not afraid of other points of view so I don't need to avoid them. While this topic has generated a lot of meaningless flaming, I've not read much in the way of a valid argument. Be that as it may, I felt I needed to make sure you guys are aware of what a great job you're doing and I will use this distro as long as I canregardless of the politics of the creators. I don't agree with your politics, but I respect your right to voice them and there is always a little bit of validity in everyone's political views. I think we all want the same things for this world, just have different approaches. Thanks guys for a great operating system and I thank you for the tremendous efforts involved to keep it running.[/u][/i][/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:15 pm 

In an attempt to sort out another problem I loaded 30k from scratch then upgraded to 40k alpha and now the troublesome bookmarks are missing!
Perhaps this is the answer?
Shame though because I needed some of them :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

To see a "tidy" or pretty list of all of your firefox bookmarks run
Code:
cat ~/.mozilla/firefox/o0tp3p70.Default\ User/bookmarks.html | grep http | cut -d"\"" -f2-3

but note that the "o0tp3p70.Default" part may change fom box to box or across installations. I say this cos I've reblagged a box and the "o0tp3p70.Default" has changed. Now I need to run
Code:
cat ~/.mozilla/firefox/fsme095m.default/bookmarks.html | grep http | cut -d"\"" -f2-3
to see a nice list of all of the boomarks. I guess that this method should work with most browsers out there. Remember that you can put this list of b-marks into a file like this
Code:
cat ~/.mozilla/firefox/fsme095m.default/bookmarks.html | grep http | cut -d"\"" -f2-3 > bookmarks.backup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:49 am 
Site Admin

I decided to take jayeola's idea a step further and produced a version that figures out what your profile is called so you don't have to add it manually:

Code:
cat ~/.mozilla/firefox/`cat ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini |grep Path |sed -e 's/Path\=//g'`/bookmarks.html | grep http | cut -d"\"" -f2-3 | sed -e 's/\" ADD_DATE\=//g'

Plus, it fixes some weird ADD_DATE issue I had.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

that's sooo cool :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:47 pm 

Again, in the light of how this thread has spiraled downward into the cesspool, I think a bit of censorship would be necessary. Please remove this thread, it has become the cesspool of an otherwise wonderful sight representing a wonderful distro.

apteryx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

apteryx wrote:
Again, in the light of how this thread has spiraled downward into the cesspool, I think a bit of censorship would be necessary. Please remove this thread, it has become the cesspool of an otherwise wonderful sight representing a wonderful distro.

apteryx.

I think the thread originated from a cesspool. ;)

But... I'm not into "censorship". One troll won't kill us. ;)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:33 pm 

*grin* I kind of thought you would feel that way, and that is why I chose that word/gibe *grin*. I sort of knew you would decline to censor based on your 'scandelous' choice of links in firefox. ;)

Anyways, I truly am greatful for all the work you do, and if it means anything, I and many others are truly appreciative. Keep up the fine work. In the end, it DOES make a difference.

apteryx.

Post subject: Re: Going to delete Blag
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:47 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
I installed it a few days ago, it is pretty nice. But then I went in firefox and opened the bookmarks one day (yes it took me several days to notice this), and saw all this 'Activism' crap.
Go to hell with all of your hypocritical whiny leftie/human rights/"our oppressive racist sexist society is so evil" bs. I am uninstalling it simply because I hate worthless snobbish politics nerds.

No one cares. Go screw yourself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:24 pm 

wow what a thread this is. I guess I am the opposite of our guest threadstarter friend. I have used alot of different distros over the past 6 months and I find myself attracted to BLAG because of its political views. Honestly I am not much of a fedora fan but it appears that blag comes de-bloated. I have been working in a University computer lab for 3 years, the lab runs RedHat Enterprise, I got my first real linux experiece in this computer lab. Last summer I got an internship which meant I had a break from classes at school so I decided to try installing a linux on my laptop since I no longer needed to depend on it to get my homework done. I think I am now at the point where I can rely on linux to work for me when I need to do homework done.

I live in Raleigh, and attend NC State University. Red Hat's headquarters are on the campus. One time they had an open house and I went there and met one of the creators of gcc. Because of all the redhat people nearby I decided to start with FC3 and a couple livecd's. Since then I have tried slackware, arch, debian, ubuntu as well. I kept going back to debian because I enjoyed the way it worked and liked their opinions. I've been switching distros so much mainly because I'm constantly looking for something better, I am trying to produce some music and get into signal processing. Debain, slack, and redhat all have music production packages and so far I've had the most luck with debian's, I haven't tried mandrake's and don't intend to.

Lately I have been reading alot about anarchism and I am quite thrilled
to find a bunch of linux people who beleive in it. I think it a worthy cause to push for, but the people who want it are so highly misunderstood. It doesn't seem to fit into the right or left of liberal or conservative, it is like a synthesis of a bunch of different ideas. From what I have read so far about you bunch you favor self sufficiency and small government, which in America are traditional conservative ideals, at the same time you seem to favor individual rights, protecting the environment, and humane treatment to the less fortunate, stuff that liberals beleive in, then their is this 3rd radical part thrown in that wants the complete removal of hierarchial authority. So none of us are lefties or neo cons or any of that, it appears to me that you are a bunch of free thinkers who have formed your own opinion and I am glad to see that there is more than one of us out there.

I think alot of linux ppl beleive in these things but remain silent about it so that developers and users dont get scared away, I am glad you guys don't hide your ideals and can have passionate discussions like this. I have seen similar things happen around debian but they are much more devided and compromise alot more.

I am going to install BLAG on my laptop soon, and this time I am not going to bother adding nvidia drivers, sun's jdk, win32 codecs, or flash. I was previosly considering a dual boot arrangement to play some games, but I decided to just play nethack and freeciv and armagetron instead.

I would like to help the development effort as well, I can program in a bunch of different languages, write some docs, even do some lower level hardware type stuff, and I would really like to have some contributions to mention at job interviews and stuff, so far most of my experience has come from school. At the moment my job is writing tcl scripts for a web app that gets sold to telco's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

I really like what you have to say, but what REALLY caught my attention is this:

UnWorldly wrote:
I would like to help the development effort as well, I can program in a bunch of different languages, write some docs, even do some lower level hardware type stuff

;)

We're on irc.indymedia.org #blag. Stop by sometime. That's mostly where we coordinate building things.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:56 pm 
Six pages of posts because of one troll ... priceless ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:17 am 
Site Admin

garp wrote:
Six pages of posts because of one troll ... priceless ...

Yes, but there was plenty of followups both from others and the troll himself, plus tons of after-commentary and completely off-topic posting.

--Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:46 am 

ah, but that truly is the beauty of it all! ;)

everyone just wants to be heard, even if they are saying nothing at all.

apteryx.

Registered Linux User - #384913

Get Registered at: http://counter.li.org/

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next