FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Blag and SMC Wireless card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo32
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Blag and SMC Wireless card Reply with quote

So I decided to try out blag with my new wireless card, the SMC2802W.
I've been to prism54.org and the linux wireless how-to FAQ, but i'm still clueless on how to get it working in linux. From what i've figured out so far, I either have to recompile the kernel or use ndiswrapper. Could somebody please give me a pointer or two, I'm sort of clueless here, and not very good with linux. TIA

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 802.11g I believe you will have to recompile (& possibly patch) your kernel if you want to use the native linux drivers. It also means you have to download the compilers & some -devel packages. This can be quite a task for someone new to linux.

The easier route would be to use ndiswrappers which comes with blag.
Your card is supported, according to:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/supported_chipsets.html

There's docs on how to get it going at:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. Where is ndiswrapper located on the filesystem so that i can install the .ini?
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the rpm ndiswrapper-utils.

Config:
/etc/ndiswrapper

Binaries:
/sbin/loadndisdriver
/sbin/ndiswrapper

Documentation:
/usr/share/doc/ndiswrapper-utils-0.7

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yet again. I've got far enough that my card appears in the hardware area of the network, but when i try to set it up (add -> wireless) I select "Wireless Card" but when I click forward nothing happens. Any ideas?
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't use the buttons that much. ;) One way to just bring up an IP address on an interface is:

Code:
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

You can substitute eth0, eth1, or whatever for wlan0 if your card is different. You can find out a bit more about your card by running:

Code:
/sbin/iwconfig

Also, there are files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts that set these things...

-Jeff

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Honestly, I don't use the buttons that much. ;) One way to just bring up an IP address on an interface is:

Code:
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

You can substitute eth0, eth1, or whatever for wlan0 if your card is different. You can find out a bit more about your card by running:

Code:
/sbin/iwconfig

Also, there are files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts that set these things (like ifcfg-eth0)...

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP