FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Police State

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rblee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Police State Reply with quote

Take a look at: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/15/vehicle_movement_database/

If only 10% of that is true it's still really, really, sad.

I thought that either the fact of over 600 peeps being detained under the prevention of terrorism act AT THE LABOUR CONFERENCE FFS, or the effect of a lot of scrutiny directed at David Blunkett's private life (or Mandelson before him, or etc...) might have made people realise that merely being innocent is not enough - You have to not be near anyone who is guilty, nor have done anything questionable, whether deliberately or accidentally.

Consider this. Of those arrested (rather than merely detained) under the Prevention o'Terrorism act, less than 1% are apparently charged. If those bastards get their way then for every 1 person even worth charging, 99 unwarranted 3-month sentences (that's equivalent to 6 months of proper chokey, assuming 50% off for good behaviour etc.) could be handed down, without any trial. That's 24 man-years and 9 man-months of currently illegal detention for every terrorist charged (not forgetting that a lot of them are judged to be innocent).

What is going on??? This is a lot worse than Thatcher...

Yours, foaming at the keyboard, of Peckham

Jason
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more about the people in the cars than the cars themselves. Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the way of life in London now. I get stopped now once every couple of months by cops. I don't fit their typical profile whatever the hell that may be but hell I look young, am young at 24 and it's all in the name of security right. What's in your laptop bag. Well geez if it's not a frigging laptop. I got in trouble on Thursday. I said "sir I wouldn't waste a BLAG installation on a bomb". Insensitive I know but this some prick stopped me last time and made me hand over booze when I was on my way to a bring-a-bottle party. He was with his mate too in 1998 when me and my gf were stopped. Why? Because they felt like it. Jeff and many others of you have seen me in person. Do I look like a criminal or just a baby faced innocent civilian? Well don't answer that :)
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP