BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Chaps,

Code:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

I noticed that selinux was being updated and I carried on working as usual. Things started behaving strangely soon after that. My fluxbox menu and key bindings stoped working. I rebooted to find this error

Quote:
Red hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
reading all physical volumes. This may take a while
found 2 volume "volgroup00" using metatype lvm2
2 logical volume(s) oon volume group "volgroup00" now active
audit (1119894203.980:0) avl: denied
{execmod} for ppid=1 comm= init
path=/lib/tls/libc-2.3.5.so dev=dm0 in0=5111923 scontext=user_u: o:system_r:unconfined_t tconext= system=system_u:object_r:shlib_t tclass=file
/sbin/init:error while loading shared librares: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: cannot apply additional memory protection after allocation
permission denied
kernel panic attempt to kill init

The box hasn't booted since. tried three times. Now using a live cd. Any suggestions?
- run bad blocks?
-

----
please let me know of any additional info that may help to solve this. I can provide box spcs and blag version. Thinkpad t20, 750mhz on PIII, 80bg hdd, blag 30k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

apparently it seems that i need to dig into /dev/hda2 (where the data is) and change /etc/selinux. Only trouble is that it's a logical vomume and I have no idea how to mount it. All help greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:44 pm 
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hurrah! Problem sorted! The solution is here...
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2005-June/msg00085.html
Sorry for the flase alarm but it was quite worrying being unable to mount lvm filesystem with a live cd distro :oops: [/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:31 am 
Site Admin

I know you have it solved, but for future reference, you can disable selinux by adding "selinux=0" to the boot prompt (like hit "a" (?)in grub and then add that to the end)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:39 pm 

After reading this it made me a little on edge to upgrade but took the plunge and it wacked my machine... So I took your advice and hit 'a' at grub typed selinux=0 and booted again whoopee! My machine is back again. BLAG runs sweet. Thanks for the input Jeff! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:12 am 

I had to edit /etc/selinux/config and disable it to get it to boot proper again, is it ok to just disable it?(cause don't really know that much about it.) Is selinux friend or foe? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:42 am 
Site Admin

You can disable it ok. I often disable it on my systems...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:49 am 
Site Admin

Unless you're in a server environment, I'd actually recommend you disable SELinux to prevent incidents like this one from occuring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:04 am 

had to disable SElinux too, after kernel panic. it was also, somehow, preventing the installation of the NVidia driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:13 pm 

OK, I come from the Windows world, so the language I use might be a bit different.

I view SELinux as a Service would be viewed under Windows. The Services are sometimes dependent upon other services to be running in order for them to function correctly.

So, in that light, what 'Services' are necessary to make SELinux complete the file system relabeling when set to 'Strict, Enforced' mode?

I tried setting it to that, and my boot halted right after if found the two Linux drives.

However, when I set it to 'Targeted, Enforced', the file system relabeling went through without a hitch, and the machine appears to run correctly.

I'd like, however, to crank the security down as tight as possible, since I'll be using the machine to track and fight spammers.