BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:36 am 

Hello again. I use ndiswrapper to utilize my drivers for the wireless card I have, so often times when I boot into a linux distro I have to run the modprobe/ifconfig commands to get my card 'online.' However, I've noticed that when I'm logged into my user account I can't use these commands, not even when I SU. I don't remember this happenening at first, but it happened again tonight for the second time I think. I can log out of my user account (magnet) and then log in as root and get my stuff working, but that's kind of inconvenient and I don't see why I can't use the commands as 'magnet' anymore. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:22 pm 

This is getting obscene. Maybe I never could use those commands while logged in as a regular user...but I swear I could. Either way I've reinstalled to start anew, to see if it was something I did that screwed it up, but I still can't do commands like modprobe and iw/ifconfig. And now I can't seem to mount my windows partition correctly. I added the same entry to /etc/fstab as I did last time, and last time it worked...but now it doesn't. Well, let me clarify...last time I could read files in the mounted windows dir (I mounted /dev/hda2 to /mnt/win) when I was logged in as the normal user. Now I can't. It seems like I can only do anything I'd like to do when I'm actually logged in as root (not SU, I've tried that).

What's happening? :( Please help I'm getting very frustrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:43 am 
Site Admin

The reason you can't run the commands when you `su` to root is that they are not in your $PATH.

There are a couple solutions. I'll use `ifconfig` as an example.

Code:
su
ifconfig

will give you:
"bash: ifconfig: command not found"

Code:
su -
ifconfig

will run ifconfig. The "-" means to read in root's environment variables, which adds /sbin to the path.

Code:
su
/sbin/ifconfig

This will also run ifconfig, since an absolute PATH is specified.

Another approach would be to add /sbin & /usr/sbin to your own PATH.

vi .bashrc (or whatever editor you use). Add the line:
Code:
PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin

Once you log out and back in, these will be your settings, so you won't run into command not found when you run stuff in /sbin & /usr/sbin

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:39 pm 

Thank you very much good sir about the commands. Do you know what happened to my ability to view the mounted partition though? It's a big inconvenience to be unable to access it in programs like XMMS as a regular user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:29 am 

Okay, never mind the mounting stuff. When I edited my /etc/fstab again I placed the wrong command there, so 'magnet' couldn't see it. But I've got it working now. Thanks again.