FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Package Management in 50K

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfe1223
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Package Management in 50K Reply with quote

In your development of Blag 50K, what has been your experience with the new package management system? I personally find Debian apt-get tools to be the best and most intuitive. I am a bit dissapointed that they will no longer be supported in future Fedora and Blag releases. I have done some reading on Yum, and it just does not seem to be logical like apt-get. I know nothing about Pup (I believe this is the new graphical management system), but I would like to know about your experiences, if any?

Thanks,

Patrick

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think anyone around here said we were gonna ditch apt. It's definitely getting more problematic with fedora though.

Yum is OK.

Pup is a very simple interface for people who just want to run a one-button-update program. It works.

There are some GUIs for yum, but I think synaptic is far better.

There is also smart, but i haven't checked it out much. From what I've read it looks quite good.

I'm not sure at this point what we'll use as the "main" package program, but we'll try to be compatible with as much as possible. For what it's worth, I personally use apt whenever it's available on a system (though I've been using `pkg_add` quite a bit lately...).

-Jeff

stevo32
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have possibly said something about dropping of apt, as earlier on it didn't look like I was going to be able to get it to work. The biggest issue will be attempting to ensure that the different repo's support apt-rpm compatible lists. If they don't, we'll mirror them and build our own, probably. Many blag users like apt so we'll prolly keep it 'round as long as (in)sanely possible.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Good To Hear Reply with quote

Glad to hear about Blag's commitment to apt-get. I really am surprised that more distros have not adopted it. At any rate, keep up the good work.
ingvildr
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new devel releases of yumex look very good, and i have no problem with using yum insted of apt-get the only one problem i see with yum is the amount of time it takes to refresh the repodata.
jebba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also pirut ("pirate") which is a yum gui that FC5 is using as it's main GUI (along with updater-only "pup"). Pirut looks quite young though. It's got a newbie-friendly interface.

apt is working in 50k right now fine though.

-Jeff

pfe1223
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Preview of FC5 Reply with quote

Here is a preview of FC5, and what they have to say about the new package management tools is less than inspiring. Glad to see Apt-Get is working w/o a problem.
weyasey
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope we can keep Apt forever, because an apt-get dist-upgrade a day keeps the security issues at bay :@

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sir, i don't like it. it's crashing on startup for me. it worked straight after install, i think a dist-upgrade may have broken it. bring back synaptic : )

Code:
Component: Software Manager
Summary: TB43b34ebc GroupSelector.py:407:populateCategories:TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 363, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 359, in main
    pm.run()
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 288, in run
    self._showBrowse()
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 225, in _showBrowse
    grpsel.doRefresh()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut/GroupSelector.py", line 410, in doRefresh
    self.populateCategories()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut/GroupSelector.py", line 407, in populateCategories
    sel.select_iter(i)
TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter

Local variables in innermost frame:
i: None
cats: []
self: <pirut.GroupSelector.GroupSelector instance at 0xb79f682c>
sel: <gtk.TreeSelection object (GtkTreeSelection) at 0xb5f0bbbc>

Centrino
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... synaptic is just a graphical frontend to apt-get, isn't it?

So in essence there would be no difference.

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirut is fucked for me right now too. Pirut is a front-end to yum not apt-get. Yum itself works fine and is using the blag repos, not the fedora ones right now.

I tried compiling synaptic, but it didn't "just work" and i haven't looked deeper into it yet.

So no GUIs for package management at the moment on 49k, except for upgrading-only "pup".

-Jeff

Centrino
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH sorry about that. I conveniently failed to see the pirut all over the other post. I thought they were talking about apt-get not working and to bring back synaptic. So naturally I stated the obvious.

You folks should understand that at times, I'm a complete dumbass. It happens?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
no sir, i don't like it. it's crashing on startup for me. it worked straight after install, i think a dist-upgrade may have broken it. bring back synaptic : )

Code:
Component: Software Manager
Summary: TB43b34ebc GroupSelector.py:407:populateCategories:TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 363, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 359, in main
    pm.run()
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 288, in run
    self._showBrowse()
  File "/usr/sbin/pirut", line 225, in _showBrowse
    grpsel.doRefresh()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut/GroupSelector.py", line 410, in doRefresh
    self.populateCategories()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut/GroupSelector.py", line 407, in populateCategories
    sel.select_iter(i)
TypeError: iter should be a GtkTreeIter

Local variables in innermost frame:
i: None
cats: []
self: <pirut>
sel: <gtk>

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why that was posted...

anyway, recent `pirut` "works" and synaptic is on the CD too...

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP