BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Functionality
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:55 am 

BLAG is great, but I miss some functions.
I would like to use BLAG as a replacement for Windows XP and I need to cooperate with windows users re MS Office documents as Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Open Office is fine and a prepared function as in the Feather dist where I easily can install Open Office would be great. Abiword is fine but...
In Mozilla I would like a plugin for java as java (applets?)is used often in some of the portals I visit.
Could there be a collection of applications/ functions prepared for supereasy implementation? I thing of Administration tools, DB server and clients, CAD programs, yellow notes... - there could be a lot of functions available for a personalized implementation. A step by step description howto add applications would do.
So networking Jags doesnt show any of my 3 other computers. In another dist LinNeighborhood will find them. Is LinNeighborhood better?
Lastly printing , I have a network printer at home and I tried to use CUPS. Works fine when testing, works fine from Abiword but will not work from Mozilla. Have I done something wrong?

Regads and Your BLAG is great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Office
=====
You can use apt-get to install new applications. For Open Office, as an example, run:

apt-get update
apt-get install openoffice

This will download and install openoffice, plus it's dependencies.

java
====
I'm not sure about the java/mozilla question. This must be pretty well documented on the 'net though. If you search google for "redhat java mozilla" you'll probably get an answer. If you do, post it here please. :)

windoz
======
Honestly, I don't really care about windoz interoperability myself...but I know lots of users do, so I try to make it easier. jags is kind of a dodgy application. I have added linneighborhood to the repository. Install it thusly:

apt-get update
apt-get install linneighborhood

Installing apps
============
BLAG makes it pretty easy to add applications (like above), but the user generally needs to know what the application name is first. I'm interested in finding/writing an application that will download & install whole classes of software for people. Example: get all k12 software or all CAD, or all whatever.

Also, take a look at synaptic. Menu->System Tools->Synaptic

It is a GUI for apt-get.

Printing
======
Try changing the print line to "lpr" in mozilla. Or check out galeon--I think it's a nicer browser.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:
windoz
======
Honestly, I don't really care about windoz interoperability myself...but I know lots of users do, so I try to make it easier. jags is kind of a dodgy application. I have added linneighborhood to the repository. Install it thusly:

I would rather we got away from that scenario Windows altogether. What maks Windows so crap is not the interface or even the massive security issues. It is having everything packed into one 'Explorer' type shell which means when something simple like your browser decides to die it takes the system out with it.

Personally I would say use browsers for browsing, use Office for documents and use your home directory navigator for navigating as individual tools like it is now as opposed to one big clutter as Windows does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:14 pm 
Thank You for Your kind answer.
In fact im the same but now working on a BLAG computer using Galeon.
Now I have some new experiances, as I had not enought space to install OpenOffice. I tried to enlarge the main partition using QTparted but the swap partition was located just after and stopped my actions to enlarge the main partition. I removed the swap partition and tried again but QTparted couldnt change size so I tried Partition Magic 7.0 with the same disappointing result. I had to give up. I added a new swap parition at the end of the HD so a gap of 2.5 GB is now available. How can I make it usable?
Well, printing from Galeon works fine but printing from Mozilla doesnt work.
Java plugin works in Mozilla but not in Galeon - but Galeon is based on Mozilla engine and according to the help text it shold work. ??
LinNeighborhood works exellent and I can reach my server machine.

Regards

Post subject: Open office
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:10 pm 
It is easy to install open office on blag. Just go to the open office website and download it. Then hit setup. What is so hard about that? :wink:

Post subject: Re: Open office
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Chris wrote:
It is easy to install open office on blag. Just go to the open office website and download it. Then hit setup. What is so hard about that? :wink:

The problem doing it that way is not all dependencies may be installed. So apt-get install openoffice from the command line would sort that issue out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:01 am 
Site Admin

I don't think there are dependency issues if you download it straight from openoffice.org. I think it's a bit cleaner/better to do these things via apt-get, but oo's site has the most recent release all the time (just released 1.1.1 this week).

Post subject: Static vs Shared
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:09 pm 
If you download from OO.org, that install will have static libraries.
If you install from a package, it will use shared libraries so it will be a little smaller install.

-BoB